Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by fenriv View Post
    Hi there and congratulations

GPU undervolting and boost curve editing makes GPU much cooler with a higher average clock speeds, so in fact it's not "underclocking" (less heat - more speed). As a bonus battery discharge issue is almost gone with this configuration (you'll need to play really long to go under 95% 1708 MHz/825mV).
    CPU undervolting has no effect on a battery discharging, but gives great benefit in avoiding thermal throttling. With -125 mV config on my 6700HQ, it got about 6-7 C lower on average.

As for thermal compound, I haven't touched it myself, but one of the guys did put there IC diamond and it have changed not that much (how to repaste, results of repasting). There are also a lot of useful information in next messages.

Of course "your mileage may vary".
    I should update that, sorry for delay.

In the end i disabled turbo boost because i was just very worried of those 90C+ temperatures...
    That did lower my temps by around 8C.

Also for the GPU i set the curve at 1746 and 813mw.

1 hour of prime95+ furmark : max cpu temps 85C max GPU temps 75C, average 2-3C bellow.

I did repaste again with Arctic Silver 5 and I got max 82C on CPU and 73C on GPU max, and average a bit lower than that.

Both tests were made with laptop being on a clean table, not risen, lid was opened 90%.

Now i also did both fan curves for GPU & CPU - this did lower the temps by a lot when the laptop is idle , but in long terms ( gaming, rendering etc), say 1-2 hours or more the temps would still reach 80C+ on CPU and 70+ on GPU.

Bellow is one run of HB 4.0, but keep in mind that the benchmark runs for abou 4-5 minutes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	63605

I till have to do some long gaming sessions to see what the temps look like, had not much time lately for that.

About the power drain : even with turbo boost disabled the laptop is draining power from the battery, even if it's a lot less, but hey we didn't buy those laptops so we disable the turbo and lose performance, right?

PS: about the new BIOS, there's no performance decrease, but I also didn't find any improvements...
    PSS: there's something else left for me to do, it is described in this topic and it seems there's some temperature improvement
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...eople-to-test)

PSSS: I'm going to RMA at some point and if there will be no improvements with the temperatures ( stock everything i was getting 82C GPU and 99C CPU ) I will get a new bottom and make something similar to what apemonkeychimp did, hoping to lower the temps by at least a bit...

In the end... I mostly talked about the temperatures, and I will mention once again, CPU undervolt -0.15 and GPU @ 813mw and turbo boost disabled is still draining power from the battery, slower than with turbo enabled, but it's still draining...

For reference Cinebench 15 turbo boost enabled is ~680 score, turbo boost disabled is ~540 score.
    Last edited by Ymzuki; 03-30-2017 at 11:37 PM.

ROG Member Array

Again thank you for the detailed posts. Is there a different in the power drain between the 6700HQ and the 7700HQ versions?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Ymzuki View Post
    In the end... I mostly talked about the temperatures, and I will mention once again, CPU undervolt -0.15 and GPU @ 813mw and turbo boost disabled is still draining power from the battery, slower than with turbo enabled, but it's still draining....
    The GPU seems to be the culprit. 1746mhz at 813mV seems a little bit to much for me.
    How did you customize the fan curve and which program did you use?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'd like to undervolt my GPU but this is what I see in Afterburner:

Name:	hdmd.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	63610

Only core clock and memory clock can be adjusted...

I've already gone into settings and set "unlock voltage control" and tried every setting...

What could be wrong?

ROG Enthusiast Array

2.5 hours of playing Dying Light on ultra preset/ turbo disabled = max CPU temps 76 and max GPU temps 72 , battery dropped to a 89% from 100.

*The laptop was on my lap when playing the whole time. - i'll give it a try with GTA5 this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Peacecamper View Post
    Again thank you for the detailed posts. Is there a different in the power drain between the 6700HQ and the 7700HQ versions?
    No idea about that, I own the 6700HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by cheaptrick@ View Post
    The GPU seems to be the culprit. 1746mhz at 813mV seems a little bit to much for me.
    How did you customize the fan curve and which program did you use?

Notebook fan control, please check previous posts for dl links.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	63611

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	63612

Quote Originally Posted by 0x542 View Post
    I'd like to undervolt my GPU but this is what I see in Afterburner:

Name:	hdmd.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	63610

Only core clock and memory clock can be adjusted...

I've already gone into settings and set "unlock voltage control" and tried every setting...

What could be wrong?

Left from the "Core clock" there's a tiny button, click it and it will open a curve, see previous posts for more details about that.

Name:	Screenshot_6.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	63613
    Last edited by Ymzuki; 03-31-2017 at 01:51 PM.

New ROGer Array

Can anyone confirm if this problem(battery discharging while plugged-in) is present in model "GL502VS-DS71" which comes with i7-7700 and a 230W PSU. It seems like only the people with "GL502VS-DB71" which ships with a i7-6700 and 180W PSU has the problem.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by seyitegen View Post
    Can anyone confirm if this problem(battery discharging while plugged-in) is present in model "GL502VS-DS71" which comes with i7-7700 and a 230W PSU. It seems like only the people with "GL502VS-DB71" which ships with a i7-6700 and 180W PSU has the problem.

I would advice anyone "new" to read this topic from post #1, there's a lot of useful information.

Short: Yes, I recall people with i7 7700 having battery drain issues.

Also don't forget to PM Bahz if you have the battery drain problem ( I think everyone has it :| ) Hopefully we will get a fix, be it hardware or software related.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    For all of those who are still having this discharging issue still after updating to BIOS version 300 and to a 230W adapter, please send me a PM with the following details:

1) Full name
    2) Full Address with Country and ZIP
    3) Phone #
    4) Product S/N
    5) Previous RMA#s and Case ID#s
    6) Link to copy of purchase invoice

I am helping our notebook service team collect back information for all those who are affected.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post637598

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by fenriv View Post
    [...]

As for thermal compound, I haven't touched it myself, but one of the guys did put there IC diamond and it have changed not that much (how to repaste, results of repasting). There are also a lot of useful information in next messages.

Of course "your mileage may vary".
    That's not quite accurate. I put on IC Diamond (but I don't think anyone else did) and the difference is tremendous. It'd better be as IC Diamond is a superior thermal paste to anything metal based.
    My temps greatly improved and RPM on the fan is much better now.
    But as I said, my machine was pasted sloppily. So it all depends what you are coming from. Nevertheless there will be a difference when using IC Diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by Ymzuki
    Also for the GPU i set the curve at 1746 and 813mw.
    Thanks. I was brave enough to do it too. I am at 1737 MHz now @812mV and guess what - the discharge is gone completely now, when running HW 4.0.
    Last edited by apemonkeychimp; 04-02-2017 at 03:23 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by apemonkeychimp View Post
    That's not quite accurate. I put on IC Diamond (but I don't think anyone else did) and the difference is tremendous. It'd better be as IC Diamond is a superior thermal paste to anything metal based.
    But as I said, my machine was pasted sloppily. So it all depends what you are coming from. Nevertheless there will be a difference when using IC Diamond.
    Do you have any numbers for us? And did you just repaste the CPU and GPU chips or also the GPU VRAM?

Thanks. I was brave enough to do it too. I am at 1737 MHz now @812mV and guess what - the discharge is gone completely now, when running HW 4.0.
    Wow, nice.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by apemonkeychimp View Post

I must be missing something then, I recall you have Turbo Enabled on your machine right? How is it that even if i have turbo disabled, that results in less power/heat yet I still see discharge? :|

Quote Originally Posted by Peacecamper View Post
    Do you have any numbers for us? And did you just repaste the CPU and GPU chips or also the GPU VRAM?

Wow, nice.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post635177

Page 39 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 ... LastLast