Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

where did you get the vbios?

you can flash vbios across different laptops without bricking?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamonic View Post
    Pascal GPUs function this way. What you see in GPU-Z or NVIDIA specs is half the story and not the "max" 3D boost clock possible. 1645Mhz ~ 1911Mhz is achievable based on my finds already here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-quot-WIP-quot

When you OC Pascal, the "max" 3D boost clock is ALSO raised by the value defined, not just the TDP boost clock. Essentially increasing the RANGE with it.

It also hits a TDP limit of 115W and DOES in fact go over it momentarily until throttling occurs to stay under the limit. I've seen well over 125W myself under certain conditions at stock but clocks dynamically decrease/increase per meeting or exceeding these limitations of GPU Boost 3.0. I've had well over 170W+ with a shunt mod to the VRM of my 1070 already. Battery power drain was at a rate that after every FIRE STRIKE benchmark run, I was under 80%. This however, allowed me to keep boost clocks well above 2050+ with +200 to the core and +600 to the memory.

I've got the G752VS model and just flashed the GL502VS 1070 VBIOS to see if any differences are present after thoroughly comparing both. Besides the lower power drop-off when TDP throttling does occur, which is higher in the 1070 G752VS VBIOS compared to the GL502VS 1070 VBIOS, and is such, that the GL502VS 1070 VBIOS allows me to keep core clock around 1800+ and higher on average whereas the G752VS 1070 VBIOS was near 1700+ due to the time it takes for boost clocks to reach highest attainable given the TDP limit defined in the VBIOS already. Suppose you try flashing the G752VS 1070 VBIOS and see what results you get with it, or don't! Enough said there.

The voltage at higher boost clocks stayed the same in both ROMs. I get the same battery drain as well with my model in stock configuration even, despite shipping with a 230W adapter which is more than sufficient power for the 1070 laptop model given the limits in the VBIOS already (clocks are already lower than desktop 1070 GPUs). This battery behavior has been around since before the early G75 series even, it's just more apparent since these newer models finally allow (although I don't get the allure) substantially better gaming performance on battery now. Since people still seem to use these notebooks for gaming away from a wall outlet. Therefore, the shared power delivery is designed in such a way to use the battery primarily before switching to full AC.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dreamonic PC Specs
    Dreamonic PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GX800VH-XS79K
    MotherboardASUS GX800VHK (Intel CM238/IDA154) w/Custom BIOS
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-7820HK @ 4.8Ghz (+150mV) FCBGA 1440
    Memory (part number)64GB (PC4-22400) @ 18-18-18-38-53 (76.D305G.D060B)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +200/+800 w/Custom VBIOS
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (GP104) OC @ +200/+800 w/Custom VBIOS
    MonitorASUS PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 @ 100Hz w/G-SYNC (mDP-to-DP)
    Storage #13x Samsung 512GB NVMe SSD RAID0 (S316NY0HA00959)
    CPU CoolerASUS GX800VHK Water Cooling Dock
    CaseASUS GX800VHK Chassis
    Power SupplyASUS 2x 330W Power Adapter (AC 100~240V, 50/60Hz, 16.9A/19.5V)
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore
    Mouse ASUS ROG Spatha
    Headset ASUS STRIX 7.1 Gaming Headset
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Whetstone
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 / Arch Linux w/KDE Plasma
    Network RouterAsus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 + GT-AC5300
    Accessory #1 Kensington 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub (K33978WW)

Quote Originally Posted by apemonkeychimp View Post
    @Dreamonic
    Wow, thanks for taking the effort and sharing your insights with us.
    Does thar also mean that the GL502VS' 1070 should perform slightly better than the one of your G752VS?
    Given the differences in each VBIOS and the power range drop-off between the two, yes and no. The 1070 in the G752VS does perform slightly better with the GL502VS VBIOS so far. I'm still testing everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by link626 View Post
    where did you get the vbios?

you can flash vbios across different laptops without bricking?
    I got it here and if you read what I wrote about my flashing attempts with the 1070 a page back in the link posted there, that should give you a better understanding of everything.

Sure, you can flash a different VBIOS across different models, so as long as it's the same model of GPU, you'll be less likely to put it in a bricked state. I would say cross-flashing the VBIOS between the GL502VS and the G752VS should work fine based on what I've seen already, but do that at your own discretion.

I wanted to test it out myself and report it because I have the means to recover with an SPI programmer on-hand in the event I get a black screen after flashing the GL502VS VBIOS and restarting my system afterwards.

Lastly, don't be a hero and potentially put your system at risk or in a bricked state because you're being Curious George here. Is it worth the risk trying? No. It's not, especially if you don't have a way to recover. My post is simply to inform that there are "experimental" options available.

New ROGer Array

There is absolutely no reason for the battery to be draining while plugged in. I have a Sager, Clevo, MSI, and Gigabyte ALL with the exact same specs as this laptop and NONE of them have battery drain while plugged in. The Sager and Clevo have a bios option for flexi-charge, which limits charging to 90% to prolong battery life, but that is NOT a drain, it is a planned maximum charge. Asus techs really need to address and fix this issue, there is ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON OR EXCUSE they can give for the battery draining while plugged in. I even undervolted the cpu with throttlestop and underclocked the gpu, yet it still drains the battery plugged in. Completely unacceptable.

ROG Member Array

Just got my machine back.
    They told me that the charger is alright and didn't replace it.
    Should I resend it to them ?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by ido505 View Post
    Just got my machine back.
    They told me that the charger is alright and didn't replace it.
    Should I resend it to them ?
    I returned mine. *I sent mine in twice. *Both times it was returned with just the battery replaced. *It did not fix the problem. *I was assured by Asus both times that the issue had been resovled. *Of course, it was not. *I have since purchased the Sager equivalant which I am sure will be a great laptop. *I spent 4 weeks dealing with it with no resolve. *I would return it because they are either unable or unwilling to fix this issue. *It's pretty unfortunate.*

ROG Member Array

Unhappy

So I received the replacement (a refurbish unit) today after waiting a month. The unit has the same problem (played 1-hour watch dog 2 and battery dropped 10%). I have contacted ASUS and they can only do another RMA. Then I contacted newegg, and they refused to refund the product, but to "contact" manufacturer on my behalf.

Don't know what to do now, please help me.

ROG Member Array

AAAAdrianLi, what you said to Newegg?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by lucianomattar View Post
    AAAAdrianLi, what you said to Newegg?
    I said everything I could, like many people have reported the same issue, like this is a design flaw, like not a single person reported that RMA fixed the problem, and how disappointed I am. All they could say is that I'm out of 30-day window, there is no refund and all they can do is to contact manufacturer for me.

ROG Member Array

I think the problem is the window of return. I returned computers to Newegg sometimes saying about general issues and the store gave me my money back.

New ROGer Array

Hi! Another GL502VS user checking in. I've got the same problem with my laptop that I've bought about two weeks ago. The battery discharged to about 94% after playing Crysis 1 for a short while. I will post additional info after playing some other games (I was thinking about The Witcher 3, as it's one of the most demanding modern games out there).

Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast