Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Hey guys,
    After a lot of problems with my machine (backlight bleeding, discharging while in charge and even physical damage that the tech support did to my machine), I have finally managed to get my money back or get a new machine.
    The probelm is that I want to get the new notebook with the 230W charger, but my local trader can not give it to me right away.
    I have two options: get the money back and maybe (but probably not) add 420 us dollars and get the new version, or just get a new machine of my last version (GL502VS-FY178T) without any additional cost.
    What would you do in this situation?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by ido505 View Post
    Hey guys,
    After a lot of problems with my machine (backlight bleeding, discharging while in charge and even physical damage that the tech support did to my machine), I have finally managed to get my money back or get a new machine.
    The probelm is that I want to get the new notebook with the 230W charger, but my local trader can not give it to me right away.
    I have two options: get the money back and maybe (but probably not) add 420 us dollars and get the new version, or just get a new machine of my last version (GL502VS-FY178T) without any additional cost.
    What would you do in this situation?
    420 us dollars? Thats expensive. Are u gonna get full refund?

P.S. If I have an option to get my money back - I think I just spend them for alienware 17 r4. I like design + 17 inch + 240W PSU + very low GPU and CPU temperature under load.

New ROGer Array

Hi guys,

first of all I would like to thank you for finding a solution to this discharging problem. I found this thread a few month ago and decided to bookmark it, which was a wise decision.

I also fiddled with the settings and managed to undervolt my CPU -0.150V and my GPU is at 0.825V ~1700Mhz. It seems the discharging is gone now, however my problem is that you write about fps gains and cooler working temperatures but it seems I 'shot my laptop in the leg'.

I used to play Witcher 3 on ultra at 1080p with stable 60 fps, now it's down to about ~40. And I tried the heaven benchmark and I get 30-40 fps on the extreme preset. (although it's possible you run it with anti-aliasing turned off, that way I also get about ~100 frames like you mentioned). It's also possible that it is some g-sync/v-sync problem or something.

Should I try to finetune the V/MHz settings to a better level or what do you think I should try to change?

Thanks and greetings.

Ex-employee Array

Our service reps have already further escalated this issue and our notebook team are looking into this issue, we'll post updates here once we hear back from them. We apologize for the inconveniences caused.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    Our service reps have already further escalated this issue and our notebook team are looking into this issue, we'll post updates here once we hear back from them. We apologize for the inconveniences caused.
    In this case, should I get my money back and wait til I will be able to buy the new version with the 230W, or get a new machine but from the old version?
    Right now my machine is back in my local trader waiting to be replaced.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Laylance View Post
    I used to play Witcher 3 on ultra at 1080p with stable 60 fps, now it's down to about ~40. And I tried the heaven benchmark and I get 30-40 fps on the extreme preset. (although it's possible you run it with anti-aliasing turned off, that way I also get about ~100 frames like you mentioned). It's also possible that it is some g-sync/v-sync problem or something.
    Did u turn on vsync and g-sync ON in your nvidia control panel? To be honest I don't know a solution to your problem. Its all sounds strange... Because no one exp a fps drop after undervolting. I even played for 5 days without battery, cause I broke my battery connector on motherboard. Everything were pretty smooth.

Sounds good.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by rusinc View Post
    To be honest I don't know a solution to your problem. Its all sounds strange... Because no one exp a fps drop after undervolting. I even played for 5 days without battery, cause I broke my battery connector on motherboard. Everything were pretty smooth.
    Undervolting is always a lottery. For example -150 mV offset for my CPU is causing BSODs, so I've found comfortable -125 mV. Same issue can be with GPU.

I also fiddled with the settings and managed to undervolt my CPU -0.150V and my GPU is at 0.825V ~1700Mhz. It seems the discharging is gone now, however my problem is that you write about fps gains and cooler working temperatures but it seems I 'shot my laptop in the leg'.
    I would expect driver crashes and/or BSODs for bad combination of voltage and frequency, but still, as a possible solution I can suggest to reduce a max GPU boost frequency down to 1645 or to 1600 eventually (keeping the 825 mV as constant). And then to check FPS with Heaven Bench. If it will helps, you should get around 90-100 FPS with standard extreme preset.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bahz View Post
    Great news. Thanks in advance. If any additional information required (like a parts serial numbers or a detailed hardware info) we will be glad to share it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

It seems the discharging is gone now, however my problem is that you write about fps gains and cooler working temperatures but it seems I 'shot my laptop in the leg'.

Should I try to finetune the V/MHz settings to a better level or what do you think I should try to change?

Thanks and greetings.
    This is not connected to the undervolt. UV doesn't cause fps to change. You should get around 100 fps in Heaven 4.0 Extreme. 40 is insanely low. Not even half. Check if you accidentally switched on power saving modes.

@Bahz thanks for the info. Glad to hear it's being looked into.
    Last edited by apemonkeychimp; 02-15-2017 at 10:46 AM.

ROG Member Array

Could it be that MSI Afterburner adjusts the UV curve after you've applied it? I had everything on 1708MHZ, -150mV but now the higher Voltage areas are around 1721Mhz.

I played Resident Evil 7 today and it's still stable 60fps on Ultra and the cooling fans are surprisingly silent. I'd never have expected that undervolting made such a big difference. Also no battery drain apart from the usual (I always disconnect PSU when I go to sleep after shutting down the laptop, so it's 1% a day.)

Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast