Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by damy06 View Post
    No, look here: post 625979
    and the thread right under it? Lol

New ROGer Array

Hello there,

Following this thread since day one it started. I did many tests and options, tweaking the laptop in every possible way I could, so let me share my experience. Long story short - IT IS NOT FIXED!

Let me summarize the problem first:

Battery drain is affecting ALL the GL502VS models with Skylake i7-6700HQ and GTX1070 GPU. The blow details are after updating to BIOS 300.

1. The battery is discharging when the laptop is under load and connected to the AC (180W PSU). The discharge rate can go up to 7-8% per hour of use, and as soon as it reaches a set minimum, the performance decreases so it can recharge. This increases the battery wear, and the limited performance is a huge problem for those needing the extra power.

2. Multiple users tried higher capacity chargers (230W+) with no success - the total power consumption is not going pass 180W. It is a BIOS limit to prevent the included 180W PSU from overload/overheating, or possibly the internals of the laptop are not capable of handling higher amps than 9.23A from the 180W PSU.

How to reproduce?

After the latest BIOS version 300 things seems a bit better but they are NOT! The discharge kicks in as soon as the GPU hits above 975mV (about 1800Mhz) and the CPU does not change the discharge rate even with turbo boost disabled (~2.5Ghz) and undervolted -160mV (~0.800mV on CPU)!

Now the GPU load is the tricky part: Stressing the GPU no matter how heavy the load is, makes the GPU downclock to about 1600-1700Mhz (sometimes even less). In this case the voltage is below the 975mV and the discharge is far less to be noticed but still there. The temps are ~77-79C

Utilization!

I found an interesting relation to the voltage & clocks vs utilization. Stressing the GPU with Unigine Heaven 4.0 @ultra keeps the GPU with lower clocks & voltage but the utilization is 99%. Settings @low keeps the clocks & voltage higher but the utilization at about 50-60%. SO @low settings the battery is discharging faster & more noticeable. Another problem with the GPU utilization is the CPU Bottleneck apparent @low where the CPU keeps the GPU hungry and hardly going above 150FPS. (tested at lower res 720p)

This explains why users see the discharge on games like Overwatch - a rather light game that can push a lot of FPS, keeping the GPU at higher clocks & voltage and so making the battery to drain.

I was able to minimize the discharge to a great degree (~1% per hour) depending on the application and load. Sometimes completely stopping the discharge but with slightly reduced performance:

1. Disabled Intel turbo boost (~@2.5Ghz)
    2. Undervolted CPU (-160mV)
    3. GPU OC +100Mhz (overclocking the GPU, lowers the GPU VOLTAGE - Crazy! Reducing battery discharge)

Edit: I do NOT recommend doing the steps above, it was just for the tests. A better option will be GPU undervolt with MSI Afterburner. Try at your own risk.

Conclusion

We really need this issue addressed to a higher level support. Many owners did pointless RMA's - a waste of time. It is not a cheap product - shame it was poorly designed. On top of that there is still no official response on this case what-so-ever.

I really hope this can be fixed via BIOS and a PSU upgrade.

Kind Regards,
    Ilian
    Last edited by killlerman; 01-15-2017 at 04:41 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by killlerman View Post
    Hello there,

Following this thread since day one it started. I did many tests and options, tweaking the laptop in every possible way I could, so let me share my experience. Long story short - IT IS NOT FIXED!

Let me summarize the problem first:

Battery drain is affecting ALL the GL502VS models with Skylake i7-6700HQ and GTX1070 GPU. The blow details are after updating to BIOS 300.

1. The battery is discharging when the laptop is under load and connected to the AC (180W PSU). The discharge rate can go up to 7-8% per hour of use, and as soon as it reaches a set minimum, the performance decreases so it can recharge. This increases the battery wear, and the limited performance is a huge problem for those needing the extra power.

2. Multiple users tried higher capacity chargers (230W+) with no success...
    Thank you for the comprehensive explanation. Shame on ASUS for the complete lack of support for such a problem on a brand new and high-end laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAdrianLi View Post
    Check out this unboxing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ohNW18FENU

PSU is now 230 Watt (19.5V * 11.8A) and 230W is also on the back of the laptop.

I'm pretty f**king angry. So what, ASUS is just aware of the problem and changed design on the new model? So what about us?
    Well, we MIGHT get a new PSU from ASUS; I've read that that is what happened to Alienware customers who had the same problem. On the other hand other people have stated that a new PSU doesn't change a thing so I'm not sure that's the only thing that needs to be swapped out.
    Also, I realized the model presented has a completely different BIOS than mine. My BIOS is the classic gray/blue version... Does it change by installing a new BIOS version or is there something else going on here?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by killlerman View Post
    [...]

2. Multiple users tried higher capacity chargers (230W+) with no success - the total power consumption is not going pass 180W. It is a BIOS limit to prevent the included 180W PSU from overload/overheating, or possibly the internals of the laptop are not capable of handling higher amps than 9.23A from the 180W PSU.

[...]
    Conclusion

We really need this issue addressed to a higher level support. Many owners did pointless RMA's - a waste of time. It is not a cheap product - shame it was poorly designed. On top of that there is still no official response on this case what-so-ever.

I really hope this can be fixed via BIOS and a PSU upgrade.

Kind Regards,
    Ilian
    Thanks for taking the time to do the research and post it here. I am not a technician, but I definitely think the notebook can handle higher Amps than the 9.23 A, because it does it already. It just takes the remaining off the battery, which is why we have this desaster to begin with. Wires on the plug won't be a problem as well as the circuitry. On a regular mainboard you can also put any CPU / GPU combination in as long as your PSU delivers the power. I never heard about a mainboard circutry not being able to deliver the needed power. Asus uses standard parts. I don't think their larger GL752VS is equipped with thicker soldering or different circuit boards. If that was the case our GL502 would not be able to take any more energy from the battery on top of the PSU input.

Quote Originally Posted by Bproof
    Well, we MIGHT get a new PSU from ASUS; I've read that that is what happened to Alienware customers who had the same problem. On the other hand other people have stated that a new PSU doesn't change a thing so I'm not sure that's the only thing that needs to be swapped out.
    Yes, but people fail to remember that it was a pain in the butt to get your hand on one of those bigger AW15 PSUs, because some Dell telephone assistants would understand the problem and give you a free upgrade, others wouldn't. It took a pretty while for Dell to roll out a general free upgrade option, which still not every assistant had heard of at the end and users were stuck with their 180W charger. On the other hand the AW15 was able to detect the different PSUs Dell had to offer and change its energetic behaviour accordingly. So it was alredy set up for the use with the bigger charger. In the BIOS you could see which charger was connected.

Concering our GL502VS: In the German notebookcheck.com forum one user reported, that his retailer was told by ASUS, that they were going to develop a 230W PSU anyway (seemingly the one for the Kaby Lake Version) which would also be made available to us Skylake GL502 users. Againg this is unofficial, but up until now appears to be true, as Asus did in fact develeop this very PSU.

I guess time will tell.

[EDIT]
    I will write an email to my retailer and ask them if they can get in contact with ASUS and get back to me with a statement. I will keep you updated.
    Last edited by apemonkeychimp; 01-15-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: sudden consciousness

ROG Member Array

230w

According to the only guy on youtube who has the new Kaby Lake model, the battery does not discharge while the laptop is pluggd in, even under load.
    You can read his comment here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLarLvbq0Qo&t=6s

ROG Enthusiast Array

Pretty much what can be expected from a 230W charger.

New ROGer Array

Apparently 13 pages of complains means nothing. Sadly i can't return mine and ended up posting it for sale for much lower price. I just can't wait anymore - a waste of time and money. Misleading reviews everywhere for one big joke of a product. Overheating, Battery discharge, IPS glow, Static images burn the display, The flex of the lid can completely destroy the display what else... terrible support the list goes on.

Highly recommend to RETURN IT and avoid the hassle. If anyone thinks of buying it please Don't!

This will be my last ASUS product EVER! It is not my job to fix it and make it work, I paid for a working laptop! So frustrating! This deserve a rain of negative reviews if that changes something at all.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Although I am not very happy with the discharging I cannot agree with your complaints.

My unit did not have IPS glow. Also I think the built in LG Philips Panel is one of the better ones on the market. Images that burn in is a common thing with IPS. that's why most IPS monitors have "LCD conditioning mode". Those images will disappear after a few hours - so they are not permanent. The question is, why were they burning in in the first place? This only happens when the panel renders the same image for several hours. My unit turns its display of after 15 minutes of inactivity. Also a simple screen saver should help.

Build quality wise the GL502VS is not bad. Why would you want to flex the lid until the screen breaks in the first place? Sure, there are notebooks out there, which require a bit of care, but it doesn't mean they are fragile as heck. Sure I wouldn't reccomend carrying the GL502VS with one hand on one corner, because it has no solid metal base, but that also goes for my thinkpad, etc. The only notebook I could carry that way was my Alienware, but that thing was so awfully heavy I wouldn't even want to carry it with one hand. Still I don't think it makes the afforementioned machines inferior.

Also try to put the GL502VS into context. I paid about 1500 Euro for mine. No other notebook equipped with a 1070 is anywhere close to that price range. The closest I could get was an AW15 with a VIP coupon. This one was about 1700,- Euro, BUT weighs about 7.7 pound (wtf) and only gives you one year of warranty instead of two. Of course if the Kaby Lake successor will also be available for this small price, there is no reason to go for our skylake with the discharge issue still unsolved. But until then I don't think the lapot is a slouch at all.

I bought mine after I read in a forum that ASUS is developing a 230W PSU. So the chances are pretty good the PSU might be upgradable.

New ROGer Array

@apemonkeychimp

Hey there,

IPS glow is a lottery I understand that, I know how the technology works and how the backlight of the display is causing it. Because of the flex of the lid, this makes it worse. Even opening and closing the laptop you have to be careful and slow in order to keep the flex to a minimum otherwise you can end up with permanent glow. It will be stupid to flex it around of course, but it's a laptop - sometimes I need to move it. For example my external cheap Dell S2340L IPS has no glow, and no burn in. Watching a youtube video on the laptop (~40 mins) created a visible burn on the laptop display - not the case with my external monitor.

I paid 1840EUR for mine and it is the very basic option: one SSD 256GB, 15.6" IPS, 1 stick 16GB RAM. It was about to replace my 2+ year old Lenovo Y50 which btw costed ~800EUR, all aluminum, does not flex, has none of the issues present here, but wacks the performance with GTX860M. The warranty for ASUS is 2years for the laptop and 1 year for the battery. So considering the price i paid, and the problems WE have - it is not a worthy purchase for me. 1840EUR is very expensive in my country - you can buy a decent car for that much. I can post the invoices, make a video on the IPS burn & display flex or for the battery discharge just to prove my words.

I still have a tiny hope that the laptop could get fixed, I really liked it at first and that GTX1070 is a BEAST of a card even without boost @1440Mhz destroys 1080p games.

Regards,
    Ilian

ROG Enthusiast Array

Dont' worry about the reciept and the video. I do believe you.

All I am saying is (not taking the discharge into account) the notebook is pretty recommendable. Because not geting this one gives you only a few alternatives, which will most definetely also have their flaws. Because, when I learned one thing about consumer products: There is not a perfect one. Here in Germany the GL502VS is the cheapest of the 1070 notebooks - by far.

Permanent glow should only ever occur when the lid is deformed due to pressure. In that case I would return the unit, as this should not even be possible in normal use. As I said mine has no glow and I open it up with my right hand on the outer edge almost always.

About the warranty. In case the battery does wear down due to gaming within the 2 years, you can still send it in because the GPU is not performing as specified. They cannot ignore this and probably just swap out the machine.

Here in Germany there is a law, that if you send in your product 3 times because of the same issue and it is still not fixed after the third time you have the right to reclaim the full price you paid or get a product of the same value that works. (i.e. the successor model)

I do hope ASUS will just give us a 230W PSU and that's it about the discharge. But even if not, I am not too worried about that.

Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast