Page 16 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Question helppp

Quote Originally Posted by apemonkeychimp View Post
    I know what you mean. The two games which creeped my out were Watchdogs 2 as well and Dishonored 2. With my new UV setup both games are running greatly improved.

I'm sorry, but can you explain exactly how you undervolt your GPU ? Because i own the GL502VS with that 1070, and even when I check "unlock voltage control" in the afterburner's settings i can't tweak the voltage...
    I looked at the topic you gave a link to, and it simply says "download my 1060 profile (Its not my gpu as i said before) and double click it", so I'm just so lost have no idea how to proceed...

Thanks a lot !

ROG Enthusiast Array

Once you checked UV in Afterburner and restarted it, press Ctrl + F to bring up the UV curve. There you can try to copy the one I uploaded.

In case you need to revert your changes press Ctrl + D to bring up the default curve.

ROG Member Array

Thanks ! You the man

But hey, more questions (sorry i'm not use to do that undervolting thing). My default curve is way different than yours, do we have the same laptop model (see attached file)
    Plus, i don't understand the curve ; vertical line is the frequency and horizontal line is the voltage, so following your curve : you have 1600 mhz @ about 812 mV and 1700 mhz @ 825 mV and the rest of the curve is -lets say- useless since the GPU wont go further than 1700 ?
    Is the laptop handling well this modification, even on heavy gaming session ?

Thanks again
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Capture.jpg  

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey papir,

you're correct. My curve let's the 1070 only clock to 1700 MHz at 825 mV. As I stated in this post, I found it to be the sweet spot of my unit. It will NOT run into PWR or TMP limit, which would cause it to clock down. Instead it keeps the 1700 all the time. Try it yoursef. Install GPU-Z to monitor the clock speed and install Heaven Benchmark 4.0. Run the extreme benchmark by hitting F9.
    Let's say run the benchmark 5 times with the default curve and 5 times with my curve.
    With the default curve you get horribly inconsistent results. Sometimes better than with my curve but most of the times way worse. I got anything from 89 - 110 fps in Extreme preset. Totally unpredictable. Now with my curve and 1700 MHz @825 mV I get about 105 fps in every single go. So really consistent.

In real games the performance is greatly improved I get up to +15 fps in Dishonored 2 just becase the card doesn't hit PWR limit.

You can try to raise the clockspeed if you want (Let's say 1750 MHz @ 850 mV). But I failed to do so as the card would hit the PWR limit and clock down to the step before. With the default curve it would even clock back to 1400 MHz.

Also yes if your machine can handle the lowered voltage (if it can't it will either crash or freeze) it stays cooler and quieter so it's even better for longer gaming sessionsm
    Last edited by apemonkeychimp; 02-05-2017 at 11:34 AM.

ROG Member Array

Dude, thanks a lot for the very detailed answer !
    Reading what you wrote makes me think that you don't really believe that we would have the same results even with the same config, why so ? I'm going to copy your curve, hope that works as fine as you ! Thanks again for your help !!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey papir,

you're welcome.

As far as fps go, we should be on par. All the GL502VS' should be pretty close, that is true.

But when it comes to undervolting or overclocking that's a totally different matter, as every single chip produced will behave differently. I guess it's partly because those things incorporate several billion (!) transistors?!

The 6700 Skylake CPU has a good reputation undervoltingwise, so you should be able to squeeze it to -150 mV, but there is no guarantee for that. Same for the Pascal GPU. I regard the 1700 @825 mV as highly impressive, but it might not be stable for everyone. I would suggest to try it out yourself. I hope it works for you, as this will really improve the machine. It even resolves the discharge issue.

ROG Member Array

I'm just out of a 30 min dishonored 2 session (all maxed out) with the afterburner's overlay on, I've been surprised that the overlay shows the GPU is going far higher than 1700 mhz (1800+ as usual like it did on default curve), I don't know why
    So I can't tell if this heated up slower than usual, but still reached 86°. Have to say that I often reach 90° in under 15 min but it didnt happen.
    But since the GPU frequency went higher than my manual settings, I don't know if it worked xD
    Sorry i'm so dumb at this things

ROG Enthusiast Array

Try to verify that by also using GPU-Z. I got completely messed up readings with Afterburner.

You can also try to figure out what your max clock is and at what voltage. You can then try to customize your curve accordingly.
    My machine clocks down extremely heavily and I alredy sent it in for repair, so both of them did. So I really benefit from my curve.
    Last edited by apemonkeychimp; 02-05-2017 at 06:37 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello everyone. My third day running this laptop without battery (since I broken the battery connector and didnt fix it yet).
    Finally I found the best solution for one of my favorite game (for now) - The Division.
    This game are very demanding to CPU and GPU. I use to play on ultra with no issue except battery drain. Sometimes from 100 to 70 in 4-5 hours For 3 month of using this laptop I already have 37+ battery cycles. I do unplug it from power maybe 3 or 4 times.
    So to the point. Without battery my favorite game become unplayable. Even when I open map... FPS drop to 35-45... Depends on the area. I lower settings to minimum - it didnt do anything. Same FPS.
    So I finally fix it. Thanks to this thread and apemonkeychimp to share info about undervolting.
    I'm back in game and it runs almost same as before (with battery plugged in).
    I do a couple tests to find the best value, did the ingame benchamark 7 ties with different settings for CPU. Run Heaven Benchmark 5 times with different GPU settings.
    Best value for - 0.125v on CPU (average FPS in the division benchmark 72 fps). And undervolt GPU to 1607 MHZ and 825-831 mv. My GPU use to run with battery up to 1025-1050 mV and 1750-1800 MHZ.

I will fix my battery connector pretty soon and gonna benchmark again. Battery will drain, for sure - but definetly not as it use to be. And probably I gonna restory my CPU to it default settings. Because theres no big evidence in CPU compare to GPU undervolting. Plus as I read in this thread. Without battery laptop drains less by 10 watt from PSU, probably just maintain a stable status. So when I gonna recconect my battery I will get it back and will invest in CPU.

Thanks for reading.
    P.S. GPu temp 76-78 C. CPU temp 78-82. On full load.

P.S.S. I have change settings a bit. And here my final curve. 1632 MHz and 825-831 mV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	62383

ROG Enthusiast Array

Wow, I hope you can fix your battery connector soon.

Does the game run perfectly smooth with your UV settings now? Or do you get microstutter? If not that's pretty sweet.
    If your machine allows it you can also try 1600 MHz @ 800mV. Worked on mine.

Unless your machine is unstable I wouldn't restore the CPUs default. You won't gain anything except for more power consumption, heat and noise. Which I hardly consider a gain.

Still really cool. Your example is a good proof that it's possible to operate our GL502VS without power drain. Good job.
    Last edited by apemonkeychimp; 02-06-2017 at 07:50 AM.

Page 16 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast