Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by rusinc View Post
    What do you mean by that? Did they send to u a second hand machine?
    I sent my machine in, because of heavy electrostatic noise in idle but even worse when gaming. Coil whine and hum/buzz. This plus the fact, that I had really bad FPS in Dishonored 2 made me think my unit was broken.
    They swapped my entire mainboard and sent me back the unit within only 3 days. The noise is the same, but CPU temperatures rose quite a lot. Looks like the pastejob was done rather mediocre. Then I found the thread about UV so FPS are now how they should be.
    I've had quite a few notebooks with electrostatic buzz / hum. I read in a thread the hum in idle can be eliminated by turning off the CPUs c-states. Dunno, I just live with it, the laptop was a good deal and it has a friggin 1070 in it.

Quote Originally Posted by papir
    @apemonkeychimp, thanks again for the method pal. Whats your settings for dishonored 2 for having 40 fps ? Because I had absolutely no drop under 59 FPS in the areas I played in at 1080 ultra. Do you play 1440p ?
    Shoot! My apologies. You are totally correct, I play on a 1440p monitor. Is there a representative scene for benchmarking in Dishonored 2? I can then test it with the internal monitor.

@all
    Do you guys use the G-Sync feature of the notebook? I turned it off immediately as I hade the feeling it resulted in bad fps?

ROG Member Array

@apemonkeychimp ; No, there's no benchmarking scene in this game, as far as I know. To give an answer, yeah I always set Gsync ON for both fullscreen and windowed mode in nVidia control panel + VSYNC ON in nVidia control panel, but vsync OFF in games... Since Gsync looks like it doesnt work if Vsync is turned OFF in the control panel I set it on, and now it's 100% OK.

But I have to admit I'm not pretty sure it makes a real difference with system that don't have this feature, but I'm not very regarding toward this. It's super smooth everytime and it's all I was expecting. I'm going to try some higher frequencies with lower voltages than default, just in case

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yes I'm using g-sync and is it says above u have to turn on v-sync to make it works... doesn't matter if v-sync on/off in game, cause its ON in nvidia control panel. Very smooth gameplay. I like it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yes I'm using g-sync and is it says above u have to turn on v-sync to make it works... doesn't matter if v-sync on/off in game, cause its ON in nvidia control panel. Very smooth gameplay. I like it.
    As far as I know, GSYNC doesn't need any VSYNC to work. In fact, GSYNC was created to remove tearing and not use supper slow VSYNC (huge latency) by changing refresh rate of the monitor to be synchronous to FPS. The bad thing about GSYNC is that it stops working after FPS number is higher than monitors refresh rate (in case of laptops monitor - more than 60 FPS).

So, the best solution in our case to prevent tearing and keep low input latency - to use GSYNC for FPS lower than monitor refresh rate, and to use so cold "fast sync", which is available in control panel options for 1070. There is hardware solution from NVIDIA to show only completely rendered frames, while VSYNC is off.

For more info i would suggest this video: link.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by fenriv View Post
    As far as I know, GSYNC doesn't need any VSYNC to work. In fact, GSYNC was created to remove tearing and not use supper slow VSYNC (huge latency) by changing refresh rate of the monitor to be synchronous to FPS. The bad thing about GSYNC is that it stops working after FPS number is higher than monitors refresh rate (in case of laptops monitor - more than 60 FPS).

So, the best solution in our case to prevent tearing and keep low input latency - to use GSYNC for FPS lower than monitor refresh rate, and to use so cold "fast sync", which is available in control panel options for 1070. There is hardware solution from NVIDIA to show only completely rendered frames, while VSYNC is off.

I would say you are right, but if you give it a try, you'll see that if VSYNC is turned off in nvidia panel even is GSYNC is ON, it won't do anything and tears everytings off...
    With both on it's smooth as butter and looks pretty well responding !

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by papir View Post
    I would say you are right, but if you give it a try, you'll see that if VSYNC is turned off in nvidia panel even is GSYNC is ON, it won't do anything and tears everytings off...
    With both on it's smooth as butter and looks pretty well responding !
    Yeah, it looks smooth, but still VSYNC is and old technology, and has serious performance issues (detailed description here).

In two words, it's limiting "real" visible FPS to <Refresh Rate> / <integer number>. So, if you have 57 FPS, double buffered (standard) VSYNC on, with 60 hertz monitor you will get only 30 real FPS. Really smooth, but 30.

That's why GSYNC/FreeSync is becoming a thing today, especially for 144hz monitors.

But in general, I agree with the fact that GSYNC for 60hz monitor an a laptop was absolutely not required. I would be happy to have normal monitor, but with NVidia Optimus enabled

ROG Member Array

So Gsync for laptop doesn't exist since it tears like hell when Gsync only is enable...?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yeah I agree... but theres a problem with nvidia drivers... Fixed (start from 376+). When u activate v-sync on a g-sync monitor, g-sync gonna replace v-sync. If u not gonna activate it. G-sync just not gonna work... Right now I'm on a stable 375.95 driver. If u gonna install any 376+ (didn't test 378 tho) u will see that g-sync are working without v-sync on. But those new drivers are not stable for one game I play sometimes (world of warcraft)... so I'm not using it (378 has alt+tab issue... I have read it on reddit - so not gonna install it too).

P.S. Why g-sync stop working when FPS are higher then monitor refresh rate? I didn't get it.

So Gsync for laptop doesn't exist since it tears like hell when Gsync only is enable...?
    Which nvidia driver version are you using?

Theres an option in nvidia control panel, to show you when g-sync is on. I can't show u this because when I take screenshoot that g-sync logo just go away, I don't know why...
    But on this one u can see. I just change one option. From fullscreen to window mode. When full screen g-sync are working and FPS stays at 60 - g-sync indicator on. When I make a window mode, fps jump.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WatchDogs2 2017-02-10 17-51-47-25.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	603.2 KB 
ID:	62453

Name:	WatchDogs2 2017-02-10 17-51-26-37.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	601.2 KB 
ID:	62454

G-SYNC indicator looks like this

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	62455

U can find how to turn it on - google or youtube.
    Last edited by rusinc; 02-10-2017 at 02:59 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

P.S. Why g-sync stop working when FPS are higher then monitor refresh rate? I didn't get it.
    Because of nature of GSYNC/FreeSync - those technologies are making monitor refresh rate equal to FPS.
    Example: when you have 120 hz monitor and havin 90 FPS with GSYNC on (and supported by monitor), your actual refresh rate will be 90hz, instead of 120hz.
    But as soon as your FPS will go over 120, your monitor will no be able to follow it (for a clear reasons of physical limitations).

As result the monitor refresh rate will stay at 120hz, but you will have, let's say, 160 FPS. Since the frame buffer update speed is different from monitor update speed, the buffer content may change during picture being drawn by a monitor. So the first half of a picture will be taken from one frame, the second - from the next one. If the difference between frames is big, you will notice it

ROG Enthusiast Array

Because of nature of GSYNC/FreeSync - those technologies are making monitor refresh rate equal to FPS.
    Example: when you have 120 hz monitor and havin 90 FPS with GSYNC on (and supported by monitor), your actual refresh rate will be 90hz, instead of 120hz.
    But as soon as your FPS will go over 120, your monitor will no be able to follow it (for a clear reasons of physical limitations).

As result the monitor refresh rate will stay at 120hz, but you will have, let's say, 160 FPS. Since the frame buffer update speed is different from monitor update speed, the buffer content may change during picture being drawn by a monitor. So the first half of a picture will be taken from one frame, the second - from the next one. If the difference between frames is big, you will notice it
    Okay I gonna watch that video u have posted and read a bit. Thanks for info.

So I have read some stuff. This question are pretty mind blowing. I still didn't get all of the stuff... But I don't think its that important. Because the main point which u didn't mention or didn't get. Or u mention and get but I miss something (tired a bit) .
    So to the point. On GSYNC monitor, when gsync ON with vsync ON - when fps go below monitor refresh rate gsync just activate AUTOMATICLY. FPS will not be capped to 30 by vsync, because vsync active only when FPS exceed your monitor refresh rate.
    I have played "The Division" a lot of, its a shooter game, with rpg elements. I'm not a professional CS GO player, so I didn't notice any input lag. Like never ever. Maybe because I get use to it. I dont know.

U have posted a link to forum where a guy explain the v-sync issue. So here a quote from that forum.
    Now maybe you can see why people loathe it. Let's go back to the original example. You're playing your favorite game at 75Hz refresh and 100FPS. You turn VSync on, and the game limits you to 75FPS. No problem, right? Fixed the tearing issue, it looks better. You get to an area that's particularly graphically intensive, an area that would drop your FPS down to about 60 without VSync. Now your card cannot do the 75FPS it was doing before, and since VSync is on, it has to do the next highest one on the list, which is 37.5FPS. So now your game which was running at 75FPS just halved it's framerate to 37.5 instantly. Whether or not you find 37.5FPS smooth doesn't change the fact that the framerate just cut in half suddenly, which you would notice. This is what people hate about it.
    So as a conclusion to all of this, the way how I understand. On a gsync monitor vsync should be activated. Vsync disable when it goes below your monitor refresh rate (in our case 60) - so we not gonna see any sort of performance issue, or tearing. thx to gsync.

If I get something wrong... I'm sorry
    Last edited by rusinc; 02-10-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast