Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Gentlemen, its not at all uncommon for the machine to pull off of battery even when plugged in for intensive power hungry apps. My G752VY does it every now and then.

ROG Member Array

Justin, no that doesn´t make sense. It is not normal. Just think a moment about it. Once the Battery is drained, you cannot use the full performance of this device. And in 1,2 or 3 years from now, when the battery is worn out, you cant play anymore, because after a short period of gaming the battery is depleted.

I have a watt-meter. I measured the power input of the PSU.
    According to the backside of the PSU it has a max input powerdraw of 100V*2.34A ->234W (at 230V the electric current has to be lower)
    The power output is rated with 19.5V*9.23A -> 180W(179.985W)

I played Battlefield 1, 1440p, Ultra details for 3.5 to 4 hours with external monitor @144Hz
    The Battery dropped from 100% in the beginning to 46% after this time.
    During that time the PSU had an power input between 168 to 174W.
    I think Ripwind is right. There seems to be some sort of power input limit.

Fox

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7440.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	60564

Name:	IMG_7441.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	268.4 KB 
ID:	60565

Name:	IMG_7443.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	60566

ROG Member Array

OK I think this needs to be broken down into steps and a bit of procedure has to be taken. I think there might be a couple false assumptions that are muddying the truth.

1) Has anyone tried high demand gaming with the battery removed? It's an easy test so why not? I've heard it said many times that the concern is over the years as the battery wears this laptop will not be usable for gaming. If someone (maybe i will do it) would simply disconnect the battery and try playing a high demand game and then report back if the system totally powered off. If not, then that argument can be halted entirely.

I suspect that the laptop will work perfectly fine. If the laptop powers off, then this is a real big issue and in my opinion ASUS should do a full recall.

2) There are some people saying they are losing X % per hour and some who are saying they see their laptop dip down to say 95% after an hour of play. To the second group I want them to look very closely at the power status in the task bar and report back if the state is charged or charging. I ask this because I've had my laptop sit at 95% and windows will report the laptop is fully charged. It's not making any attempt to charge the battery in this state. I suspect this is due to some over charge circuit, where when mostly charged it's making a decision based on some algorithm to let the battery get exercised a bit rather than constantly trying to charge those ions.

I played Doom for what may have been 3 hours and I had no issue. Doom however, even on ultra is fairly kind to the cpu and gpu. I haven't noticed the battery dipping when the GPU is pegged in benchmark tools. I'm wondering if this is power consumption on the CPU instead. In many games its unlikely they your GPU and CPU are maxed out in tandem. I've observed it's usually one of the other. Maybe there is a benchmark or game that pegs both, and perhaps that would help expose the problem more clearly.

I really think someone should try my suggestion of gaming with the battery fully disconnected. I would do it but I took the back off and looked at the connector and I'm not exactly sure how its tabs are supposed to be released. I'm too cautious to end up causing damage.

Also something to consider is that if the hardware maxed out is close to the 180 watts, that's not including the overhead to charge the battery. So years down the road when your battery is shot, that overhead won't exist because the charging unit won't be doing anything. This is another reason I suggest trying the disconnected battery test.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by iFoxRomeo View Post
    The Battery dropped from 100% in the beginning to 46% after this time.
    This might be a time consuming request but could you play it til it hits 0 and see what happens? I think there's an assumption that the system under load requires the 180 watts from the power cable PLUS reserve power in the battery. I'm wondering if it's more like a one or the other but not both, scenario. As in the laptop can power the hardware, or charge the battery, but not both under max load.

I know it sounds weird to consider this, especially when the obvious question is, "well why is the battery dropping at all then?"

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by daggasoft View Post
    OK I think this needs to be broken down into steps and a bit of procedure has to be taken. I think there might be a couple false assumptions that are muddying the truth.

1) Has anyone tried high demand gaming with the battery removed? It's an easy test so why not? I've heard it said many times that the concern is over the years as the battery wears this laptop will not be usable for gaming. If someone (maybe i will do it) would simply disconnect the battery and try playing a high demand game and then report back if the system totally powered off. If not, then that argument can be halted entirely.

I suspect that the laptop will work perfectly fine. If the laptop powers off, then this is a real big issue and in my opinion ASUS should do a full recall.
    That was my plan. But I had not time for that yesterday. Your assumtion is unfortunately wrong. The performance drops without battery
    But now here are my results, all with external monitor @1440p g-sync.

At first with battery connected @100%

BF1
    168W powerdraw
    ~83fps
    good frametimes

BF4
    167W powerdraw
    ~87fps
    good frametimes

Now battery disconnected:

BF1
    150W powerdraw
    ~71fps
    very bad frametimes, microstutters

BF4
    151W pd
    ~77fps
    bad frametimes, microstutter

Summary:
    Performance drops ~15% and additional microstutters despite g-sync.

Fox

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Chapel PC Specs
    Chapel PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL502VS-DB71
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus Hero IX
    ProcessorIntel i7-7700K
    Memory (part number)TridentZ 16GB DDR4-4000
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    MonitorDell S2417DG
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Evo 500Gx2
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseNZXT H440 Purple/White
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova P2 1200W
    Keyboard Das Keyboard Model M Brown
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Headset Kingston HyperX Cloud
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U

I ordered one on NewEgg Business a few days ago. Expected delivery is Monday.
    Would you say this is a fatal flaw? Should I return it?

ROG Member Array

Did anyone try undervolting both GPU & CPU?
    It has the potential to reduce power consumption & heat ,
    So if the problem is only 2-3 watt more than the PSU can supply, it could be fixed.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mtl44 View Post
    Did anyone try undervolting both GPU & CPU?
    It has the potential to reduce power consumption & heat ,
    So if the problem is only 2-3 watt more than the PSU can supply, it could be fixed.
    I've under-volted my CPU by about -125mv, but haven't tried the GPU. So far, under-volting the CPU has yielded no difference.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
    I ordered one on NewEgg Business a few days ago. Expected delivery is Monday.
    Would you say this is a fatal flaw? Should I return it?
    I would probably look at other machines if I were you, sadly. It sounds like this issue has been known for months (based on other, older threads) with no official response. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I tried both a 210w and 330w adapter, and neither resolved the issue. Based on how much the system is drawing, I suspect they're going to have to both release a new firmware update to fix the allowed power draw, and likely send out replacement adapters with higher wattage. Just my guess.

I'm in the process of trying to return mine, but I'm outside of the 30 day return window now.

ROG Member Array

Hi everyone, I have the same problem. After reading all your replies I am now pessimistic. Trying to return my laptop even though I'm out of 30-day window too.

Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast