cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defective Strix1080?

bullydog
Level 7
Like to seek some advice,
I have just installed 2x EK waterblocks on Gtx 1080 strix and for some strange reasons, the first card idles 5-6c high than the 2nd card. But as soon as i launch a game/Furmark the temps on the first card shoots up to about 94c (then throttles) while the 2nd card is approximately at 60c, it automatically crashes because of the high temperatures

Could this be a bad mount or a defective card? Or because I used the "Pea" method of apply the TIM instead of the EK recommended "x" method not too sure if this is actually the cause of it ?

Just dread removing the cards since these cards are installed with rigid tubing and pretty troublesome to remove them and drain the loop

I've been installing waterblocks on all my previous cards and this is the first time i'm experiencing something like this

Thanks in advance
| Caselabs S8 | AirPlex Radical 2x 360 + 2x MCP655 | 5820k | AX 1.2kw | R5E | Corsair Dominator 3k | 2x Asus Strix 1080 SLI |
18 REPLIES 18

Nate152
Hi Bullydog

I'd say likely a bad mount, you should be nowhere near 94c, even 60c is a bit high for water cooling.

With water cooling I'd expect both gpu's to be somewhere in the 45c temp range.

I'd double check the pump is working too but if you're experienced in water cooling I'm sure it is.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Bullydog

I'd say likely a bad mount, you should be nowhere near 94c, even 60c is a bit high for water cooling.

With water cooling I'd expect both gpu's to be somewhere in the 45c temp range.

I'd double check the pump is working too but if you're experienced in water cooling I'm sure it is.

Thanks Nate, there's a possibility the pump is weak as it's been there for a number of years now, need to check again. I'm also starting to think that the TIM I've applied might be a tad too little as I'm extremely sure that the board was flushed and properly seated but I could be wrong also.

The painful part is to still drain the loop and remount the blocks again and verify the pump
| Caselabs S8 | AirPlex Radical 2x 360 + 2x MCP655 | 5820k | AX 1.2kw | R5E | Corsair Dominator 3k | 2x Asus Strix 1080 SLI |

hiong
Level 8
was this particular card working normally before you stripped it for watercooling?

hiong wrote:
was this particular card working normally before you stripped it for watercooling?

Unfortunately not, as I don't have another spare system to perform that test and my entire rig is on rigid tubing which is a huge headache when it comes to issues like that, troubleshooting is always a nightmare *

Chino wrote:
Do you have a photo of your watercooling setup?

Thanks chino, yes I do have have photos but I'm currently traveling and on my iPad for the day and won't be back home till tomorrow. I will take new photos when I get home tomorrow *

bullydog
Level 7
Quick question, when cleaning TIM from the gpu, how do you guys clean those*TIM that smears onto those tiny capacitors ? Is it ok for the cleaning solution to get in contact with those tiny capacitors around the GPU?