cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade the ASUS ROG G752VT-DH72 to 64GB of RAM

jdbtwo
Level 7
I bought an ASUS ROG G752VT-DH72 last December and the product page is here : http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM090006012/A38824

Anyways, I've been doing a lot of research on the ASUS ROG G series laptops, and, from what I've read online, it appears that ASUS only provides two accesible DDR4 SO-DIMM slots for my notebook. I haven't opened it up yet so I'm not sure if what I read is true ( I'll open it up after I finish this post ). Well, if indeed, there are only 2 user accessible DDR4 SO-DIMM slots and the other two are hidden in the laptop, populated with two 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMMs, then how the heck can I possibly upgrade to 64GB of RAM without having to basically take out 30+ screws from my laptop and completely disassembling it to get to the hidden SO-DIMM slots? One of the main reasons for me buying this laptop what it's advertised user expandability to 64GB of RAM, but, if that's not the case, then ASUS is guilty of false advertising.

Hold on... I'm going to save this message and then open up my laptop to check...

Well, I opened up my laptop for the first time, and indeed, it only has 2 user-accessible SO-DIMM slots. I'm really POed -- I bought this laptop because I eventually wanted to upgrade to 64GB of RAM, and the fact that ASUS says that the laptop supports 64GB of RAM is a lie at worst and false advertizing at best. Yes, I probably should have read the fine print, but, that's still a deceptive and unethical business practice.

EDIT : Note -- I had no option of selecting anything other than 16GB of pre-installed RAM when I bought this laptop. On the product page for my laptop you'll find at least three places where ASUS mentions that the laptop is upgradeable to 64GB of DDR4 RAM :

"4 DDR4 slots supports up to 64 GB memory and 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD"

"Upgradable to 64GB DDR4 RAM

ROG G752 features four DDR4 slots, allowing you to upgrade to 64GB DDR4 RAM for 20% more performance with 30% more power efficiency."

"Memory
16 GB DDR4 MHz SDRAM, up to 64 GB"

The above is basically false advertising.

EDIT #2 : I called up ASUS tech support today and I was put on hold three times. Then, the agent with whom I was talking started to just repeat herself and not answer my questions. I then asked her to answer one simple question which I phrased as approximately as "So, you're telling me, that if I have to completely disassemble my laptop to access the internal SO-DIMM slots, then, even if I break any seals, but, I put the laptop completely back together with no damage to anything, is my warranty still valid?" The agent kept repeating herself about ASUS not providing support for upgrades and she then started repeating herself again at which point I broke in and asked her if should could just answer my simple question, but she then started repeating herself again -- I then terminated the call. ASUS tech support sucks.

EDIT #3 : The poll should be "How many *user accessible* SO-DIMM slots does yopur ASUS G series laptop have?" -- oops, oh well 😕
jdbtwo
Definiti facultate nostro potis in impossibilem ultra videre modo sumus

[/HR]
There are only 11̅ types of people in the world : Those that understand balanced ternary and those that don't.
8 REPLIES 8

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes there are 4 slots, two are easily accessed. 4 16 Gb will give you 64 GB, the possibility is there. Had you purchased from a custom dealer you could have gotten the RAM set up you wanted or had 2 16 GB install so that you could have upgraded to 64 GB. The options are out there. Different Vendors sell notebooks to there specification and some countries only allow certain configurations. Here in the US Asus sells one version with 32 GB and one with 64 GB its a matter of how much you want to pay, that is for 17" models, I don't pay any attention to 15" or smaller screen notebooks.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes there are 4 slots, two are easily accessed. 4 16 Gb will give you 64 GB, the possibility is there. Had you purchased from a custom dealer you could have gotten the RAM set up you wanted or had 2 16 GB install so that you could have upgraded to 64 GB. The options are out there. Different Vendors sell notebooks to there specification and some countries only allow certain configurations. Here in the US Asus sells one version with 32 GB and one with 64 GB its a matter of how much you want to pay, that is for 17" models, I don't pay any attention to 15" or smaller screen notebooks.

Thanks for the info 🙂 . It seems I didn't do my homework before I purchased the laptop ( From Amazon.com ) -- I wasn't aware that I could get 32GB pre-installed by a cusrtom dealer. Oh, and although I own and have owned many ASUS products, including many motherboards, this is my first ASUS laptop.

Regards,

jdbtwo

[/HR]
There are only 11̅ types of people in the world : Those that understand balanced ternary and those that don't.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Exactly as Clintlgm stated. There were other ways to configure your notebook other than buying through a retailer even, let alone a vendor, because in this aspect, you will be paying for a configured SKU of that particular model out of more than a few ASUS has already for your G752VT. It's not false advertising, it's marketing!

I do understand your frustration though and a little more research on your part would have helped you out here before making this purchase. However, in another light, I understand why some people opt for the lower SKUs with 16GB RAM and less SSD space. To save money and pay less for these upgrades themselves (off Amazon or eBay) when purchased separately. So even if you're curious what will happen if you do upgrade, don't go asking ASUS Tech Support.. of course they're going to say exactly what you think they would. They follow a script, helping with the basics, doing their jobs. The person actually doing the physical servicing of your notebook is who determines the answer to your question regarding warranty.

Now regards to your warranty. Warranty COULD be VOID if they determine any tampering has been done with your notebook that CAUSED whatever issue you were having that required the RMA, and from what I've seen roll through these forums over the years, they aren't out to prove you guilty! I haven't read of anything like this being done by a customer and ASUS denying them warranty for it once it reaches the service center. In fact, people seem to have more damage when their notebooks are returned from RMA than the condition they were in when originally shipped. That's an entirely different discussion though. You get some really good caring people in the service centers and then you get some really *I hate my job* types.

CONCLUSION: Simply just remove the screws (even follow a disassembly guide on YT for G752 models), upgrade to your 64GB RAM, and call it a day.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Exactly as Clintlgm stated. There were other ways to configure your notebook other than buying through a retailer even, let alone a vendor, because in this aspect, you will be paying for a configured SKU of that particular model out of more than a few ASUS has already for your G752VT. It's not false advertising, it's marketing!

I do understand your frustration though and a little more research on your part would have helped you out here before making this purchase. However, in another light, I understand why some people opt for the lower SKUs with 16GB RAM and less SSD space. To save money and pay less for these upgrades themselves (off Amazon or eBay) when purchased separately. So even if you're curious what will happen if you do upgrade, don't go asking ASUS Tech Support.. of course they're going to say exactly what you think they would. They follow a script, helping with the basics, doing their jobs. The person actually doing the physical servicing of your notebook is who determines the answer to your question regarding warranty.

Now regards to your warranty. Warranty COULD be VOID if they determine any tampering has been done with your notebook that CAUSED whatever issue you were having that required the RMA, and from what I've seen roll through these forums over the years, they aren't out to prove you guilty! I haven't read of anything like this being done by a customer and ASUS denying them warranty for it once it reaches the service center. In fact, people seem to have more damage when their notebooks are returned from RMA than the condition they were in when originally shipped. That's an entirely different discussion though. You get some really good caring people in the service centers and then you get some really *I hate my job* types.

CONCLUSION: Simply just remove the screws (even follow a disassembly guide on YT for G752 models), upgrade to your 64GB RAM, and call it a day.

I want to play the devil's advocate for a moment. What are your plans for the laptop that you want 64 GB of RAM? I ask because some people just want to upgrade because it's point of pride, or others because they want the most for gaming. The conundrum is that beyond 16 GB of RAM, diminishing returns kick in hard. The flip side is things like CAD programs or Photoshop that can utilize more RAM.

So it's a pain in the ass to get to the internal slots, but ask yourself if it's really worth stressing about. Your bottom two slots *should* be empty (depending on where you bought it from), and that gives you the option to add 32 additional GB. For most people, that's way more than they will ever need.

As for the false advertising claims, it's all accurately advertised. It sucks how much work it takes to get to the RAM, but nothing was falsely advertised. I've had machines that were just as bad to get to the old RAM slots, or hard drive, or even the battery. Having to dismantle part of the laptop is much more common on consumer notebooks than having easy access to upgrade.

Buggsy wrote:
I want to play the devil's advocate for a moment. What are your plans for the laptop that you want 64 GB of RAM? I ask because some people just want to upgrade because it's point of pride, or others because they want the most for gaming. The conundrum is that beyond 16 GB of RAM, diminishing returns kick in hard. The flip side is things like CAD programs or Photoshop that can utilize more RAM.

So it's a pain in the ass to get to the internal slots, but ask yourself if it's really worth stressing about. Your bottom two slots *should* be empty (depending on where you bought it from), and that gives you the option to add 32 additional GB. For most people, that's way more than they will ever need.

As for the false advertising claims, it's all accurately advertised. It sucks how much work it takes to get to the RAM, but nothing was falsely advertised. I've had machines that were just as bad to get to the old RAM slots, or hard drive, or even the battery. Having to dismantle part of the laptop is much more common on consumer notebooks than having easy access to upgrade.

Thanks for your helpful and polite comments 🙂 I have a workstation that's running off of overclocked Intel Core i7 3970X which is installed into an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme and in which I also have installed 64GB of G.SKILL DDR3 2400MHz RAM. I also, among other things, I have an Areca ARC-1882-IX-12 hardware RAID controller connected to a 6-way RAID-0 WD Black 7200 RPM 2TB x6 16GB RAID array. Unfortunately, my RAID array failed, and this is not the first time. I do backup, using Dantz/EMC Retrospect every 3 hours, but there is still some important data that is on the RAID array that I need to recover using something like R-Studio. You might ask why I was running a RAID-0 config : Well, I wanted the fastest possible raw write speed to the array, and, RAID-1 requires 1 more IOP and RAID-5 requires 4 IOPs, and that would have defeated the purpose of the array.

Concerning your question about why I need 64GB of RAM, well, I have Omnisphere 2 and Ableton Live Studio 9, and I used both Omnisphere 1 and Ableton Live Suite 8 on the above system, sometimes with multiple Omnisphere copies running. Also, I do digital logic design with Xilinx's ISE 14.7 and also their Vivado Design Suite, which I used to run on the borked system. In addition, I had X-Plane 10 installed on the borked system and it takes up a *HUGE* amount of RAM. Also, I do CAD with Geomagic Design, which can use up a lot of memory. And, last but not least, I had FancyCache/PrimoCache running with 8GB of memory allocated to my RAID-0 512GB SSD array and 16GB of memory allocated to my RAID-0 HDD array.

So, in order for me to use the software that I used to use on my currently offline workstation ( although, now most of the software has been updated with higher system requirements ), I really need 64GB of RAM. Right now I can only allocate 4GB to PrimoCache and it's not enough.

Regards,

jdbtwo

[/HR]

Dreamonic wrote:

Thanks a lot man! 😄 This is my first ASUS notebook and, as I've mentioned to another poster, it seems that I missed some details while doing my research to buy my notebook. It's good to hear that I can open up the laptop without voiding my warranty though.

Oh, and thank you for being very polite, as my original post seems like a stupid question right now 🙂 --- If this had been another forum, I'd probably be yelled at and trolled 😕

Regards,

jdbtwo

[/HR]

ciccio80
Level 9
TLike Buggsy said.....this is a no problem really, since at present you can do everything with 16 Gb ram (or 32 if you are using video/audio studio programs).
I can't think of a motive why you would need 64 Gb or RAM. That is only for servers and stuff like that.
Make yourself at ease and just enjoy this great laptop 😉