cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Strix Soar - 5.1 layout wrongly detected as 7.1

Manul
Level 7
I have 5.1 speaker set, also in ASUS Strix driver panel and also in Windows audio settings the layout is set to 5.1

But some games and some software for unknown reason detect the system as 7.1.

I don't remember the exact game titles - it's those games that have audio settings auto-detected from Windows and these games do not allow to change the speaker layout manually in the settings. They think that I have 7.1 so I miss some of the sounds that are supposed to come from side speakers (that I of course don't have because I have 5.1, not 7.1).

The software that also has the same problem is PowerDVD Ultra 15. You can manually set the correct number of speakers there but it's strange that it does not detect it rightly automatically. Auto detection thinks that I have 7.1. But sometimes it DOES detect the layout correctly (as 5.1). It is a bit of a problem because I often change from 5.1 to stereo headphones and I don't want to go to the PowerDVD settings every time I do this.
2 REPLIES 2

Manul
Level 7
For example, Titanfall 2 shows speaker configuration as "Windows detected - 7.1" and can't be changed in-game, while in Windows itself it's set to 5.1

InternetOwl
Level 8
I have this as well, though I am unsure if perhaps the games sound engine is emulating 7.1 or they are simply misreporting? My setup is a 2.1 and configed properly under windows 10. Most games are fine but a few recognize the setup as 7.1 and don't allow you to change it. For myself this happens in several Blizzard games, though not WoW or Diablo. It works exactly as Manul has stated. I have also seen the error in PowerDVD as he has said.