cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I use my Side Fan as intake or exhaust for my GPU? (Asus GTX 1080 A8G)

AAstroPhysics
Level 7
Hello there 🙂

I am new at this forum. I hope we will have fun together. Atleast for my English... Yeah i have very big English problems. Anyway ! 🙂

So the problem is I have a Side fan installed right now. But my GPU temperature is getting worser. I don't know what i am doing wrong, but i can exactly feel that my GPU trying to get the hot air out of the Case. I can barely feel that when i put my hand on the Side panel. By the way i am using my fan as intake. But when i search this problem on the internet, everyone says that it should be an intake fan. I terrified right now. So i beg you for your help.

Thanks 🙂

-Okan
16 REPLIES 16

KING_DRANZER
Level 7
AAstroPhysics wrote:
Hello there 🙂

I am new at this forum. I hope we will have fun together. Atleast for my English... Yeah i have very big English problems. Anyway ! 🙂

So the problem is I have a Side fan installed right now. But my GPU temperature is getting worser. I don't know what i am doing wrong, but i can exactly feel that my GPU trying to get the hot air out of the Case. I can barely feel that when i put my hand on the Side panel. By the way i am using my fan as intake. But when i search this problem on the internet, everyone says that it should be an intake fan. I terrified right now. So i beg you for your help.

Thanks 🙂

-Okan

AS you are using ASUS STRIX GPU use the fan as exhaust.

KING DRANZER wrote:
AS you are using ASUS STRIX GPU use the fan as exhaust.

So, The fan should take the air inside of the case and exhaust outside. Am i right ?

AAstroPhysics wrote:
So, The fan should take the air inside of the case and exhaust outside. Am i right ?

Yes fan should push hot air produced by GPU out of the case.

KING DRANZER wrote:
Yes fan should push hot air produced by GPU out of the case.

Thank you a lot. 🙂

Okay to be more clear I will explain how it works.

The GPU intakes the air Using fans attached to it and lets the air out from the top. As your GPU is placed in upright position in reference to motherboard which means the fan on the side panel must be placed near to its top. As the fan is near to the top of the GPU the fan when set to push the air out as exhaust cools the GPU in a better manner.

If you could provide the Case model or where exactly the fan is, then I could provide better answer.

KING DRANZER wrote:
Okay to be more clear I will explain how it works.

The GPU intakes the air Using fans attached to it and lets the air out from the top. As your GPU is placed in upright position in reference to motherboard which means the fan on the side panel must be placed near to its top. As the fan is near to the top of the GPU the fan when set to push the air out as exhaust cools the GPU in a better manner.

If you could provide the Case model or where exactly the fan is, then I could provide better answer.

My Case is Cooler Master CM 690 III. My Side fan is NT-F12. My Fan is actually mounted on the side panel pushing the air out. On my Case there is two options... you can actually put your fan on right side or left side. I put the fan on the left side because my GPU is blocking my Fan when i put the fan on the ride side.

Chino
Level 15
AAstroPhysics wrote:

So the problem is I have a Side fan installed right now. But my GPU temperature is getting worser.

What kind of temperatures are you getting? And what is your ambient temperature?

Yes use that fan as exhaust and if possible throw a fan at bottom for intake and run your cables from back(cable management).

KING DRANZER wrote:
Yes use that fan as exhaust and if possible throw a fan at bottom for intake and run your cables from back(cable management).

Well i can actually try to put the fan on bottom. It's also doing nothing to my GPU temperature at the moment. Actually It's getting worse. I had never 70C during gaming. And now it's hitting 70C.