cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Z170 Pro Gaming] XMP Profile Failure

ZeroCast
Level 7
Hi,

I've been trying to enable my advertised RAM speeds with the Z170 Pro Gaming MB.

Upon reading some forum posts, I ran XMP profile #1 as anyone would do normally, but after restarting ,my PC did not boot correctly and I was greeted with a overclocking failure message with RAM speeds defaulting back to 2133Mhz.

The thing is, I updated my BIOS to the latest firmware (2003) and I have yet to manually adjust the settings of my RAM. It's also worth nothing that I was prompted to adjust CPU speeds with XMP, I clicked 'no' and the process went through with only the RAM speeds being adjusted, which evidently didn't work.

Should I try and adjust the settings manually and if so, how should I go on with that process?

Thank you guys.
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hi ZeroCast

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Sometimes setting your ram manually gives better results and you may need to make a few voltage adjustments.

In the bios on the extreme tweaker tab set:

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual

Dram Frequency - 2800MHz
Dram voltage - 1.25v
CPU VCCIO voltage - 1.15v
CPU System Agent voltage - 1.15v

Go to Dram Timing Control and at the very top enter the first 4 timings of your kit with command rate 2. There may be only 3 timings to enter since the middle 2 timings are the same.

command rate 2

If only 3 boxes enter:

command rate 2

F10 and enter to save and exit.

How does she go?

Hi Nate152,

Apologies for the late response.

I tried the adjustments that you mentioned, but I'm sad to say that they didn't work. I had to hard shutdown my PC after saving and I got the dreaded "Overclocking failed!" message again upon turning it on.

Is there a possibility that one of the RAM sticks might be faulty or is that too early of an assumption to make? Just a lingering thought.

Thank you.

Nate152
I wouldn't think you have a faulty ram stick.

Try setting the Dram voltage to 1.30v - 1.35v

Any luck?

No luck :(.

Nate152
At the top of Dram Timing control try maximus tweak modes 1 and 2.

Mode 1 helps with compatibility
Mode 2 helps with overclocking

In DiGi + if you have the Dram power phase option set that to extreme and Dram current capability to 130%.

If this doesn't help try XMP profile 2.

I just checked, it looks like I don't have the Maximus Tweak setting nor the power phase option in DiGi+. I also only have one profile to chose from on the list.

Any other suggestions that might help?

Nate152
The recommended slots are A2 - B2 as Chino suggests but you can try them in A1-B1 and see how that goes.

If it's no better in slots A1-B1 try setting the timings to

command rate 2.