cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW keyboard ghosting

asterik216
Level 7
So the keyboard on this thing wont let me press more then 1 key at the same time. But the weird thing is only the W A S D keys do it. I can not press any combo of those 4 keys at once. I can press one of those keys and any other key though. I have tried everything I could think of that might be doing it but cant find the problem.
7 REPLIES 7

asterik216
Level 7
So no one has any idea about this or had it happen to them? Its just really weird since it is only the wasd keys you can't pots two off at a time.

Korth
Level 14
Asus advertises the G75VW as a "gaming laptop". With a pretty 17" screen, fast i7 CPU, NVidia GPU, lots of RAM, etc.

But, alas, "gamer-centric Design" circa-2012 looks in hindsight like a ROG-rebranded "generic laptop" with added backlights and bling. Your G75VW uses a cheap keyboard (part number 0KNB0-9410US00, made by Chicony I think), with simple 2-layer key matrix circuitry and a simple FTDI controller chip, a very common low-cost and low-complexity "2KRO" implementation for basic alphanumeric keysets.

You can't fix the problem without seriously modding (redesigning and rebuilding) all the electronics in your G75VW keyboard.

I'd recommend an external gaming keyboard. "Gaming-optimized" means that the WASD cluster is designed to take precedence over other keyboard regions when multiple keys are pressed. 6KRO is the best supported by the old PS/2 interface (which never requires drivers) and is quite sufficient for many gamers - USB keyboards can support "antighosting" and full-NKRO or 26KRO, etc, which will certainly not tangle up a handful of simultaneous WASD keypresses, but most of these claims are overhyped and meaningless (except for those among us who can type with 26 fingers).

I use an old SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard for laptop fps gaming (just can't stand laptop keyboards, too small and squishy and fragile for manly gaming). It ain't super pretty, it's certainly not portable, it's a horrible beastly thing to use for day-to-day typing, and it's utterly impossible to use for programming tasks, but it's an immovable indestructible infallible panzer for big-button smashy keyboard gaming sessions.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Well the thing about the whole ghosting issue is it is only the movement keys WASD. It is just any combination of those 4 keys that can not be pressed. For example I cant press W and A or D to move forward and strafe at the same time. But I can press W and Q or E ect. If it wasn't just a localized issue like it is only affecting the WASD keys it would't think something is weird about it. I know when I has windows 10 loaded on a different HDD it didnt ghost. But currently I switched back to windows 7 ultimate x64. Should I maybe try to delete all drivers for keyboards in device manager?

Well I bought the thing for $50 off someone. The only real issue with it was the hinge for the A key was broken and didn't stay locked to the key so I changed it with a numpad key and the esc key was missing completely and I had to reassign it in bios. And the power supply is not correct it seems. It does not put out enough power and the it will switch from AC to battery if the GPU is sucking up power.

Korth wrote:
Asus advertises the G75VW as a "gaming laptop". With a pretty 17" screen, fast i7 CPU, NVidia GPU, lots of RAM, etc.

But, alas, "gamer-centric Design" circa-2012 looks in hindsight like a ROG-rebranded "generic laptop" with added backlights and bling. Your G75VW uses a cheap keyboard (part number 0KNB0-9410US00, made by Chicony I think), with simple 2-layer key matrix circuitry and a simple FTDI controller chip, a very common low-cost and low-complexity "2KRO" implementation for basic alphanumeric keysets.

You can't fix the problem without seriously modding (redesigning and rebuilding) all the electronics in your G75VW keyboard.

I'd recommend an external gaming keyboard. "Gaming-optimized" means that the WASD cluster is designed to take precedence over other keyboard regions when multiple keys are pressed. 6KRO is the best supported by the old PS/2 interface (which never requires drivers) and is quite sufficient for many gamers - USB keyboards can support "antighosting" and full-NKRO or 26KRO, etc, which will certainly not tangle up a handful of simultaneous WASD keypresses, but most of these claims are overhyped and meaningless (except for those among us who can type with 26 fingers).

I use an old SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard for laptop fps gaming (just can't stand laptop keyboards, too small and squishy and fragile for manly gaming). It ain't super pretty, it's certainly not portable, it's a horrible beastly thing to use for day-to-day typing, and it's utterly impossible to use for programming tasks, but it's an immovable indestructible infallible panzer for big-button smashy keyboard gaming sessions.

Spent a few hours trying to find a resolution today to the issue I had with my very expensive "gaming laptop" ghosting out over 2 keys which ASUS refused to even address under warranty.

This post right here sums up why you should never buy any ASUS products.

Portable gaming, just don't forget to bring your desktop so you can actually play games.

Korth
Level 14
Maybe the WASD keys have seen a lot of use on that unit, lol. You could clean and repair individual keyswitches on your laptop, and there's plenty of guides, although it is delicate work on some laptops and impatience can result in permanently damaged (malfunctioning or just plain ugly) keyswitches or keycaps.

Perhaps the simplest solution is to remap your key bindings. Maybe try playing on QWES or on the Numpad? The scansets on low-KRO keyboard matrices have signal paths which intersect each vertical key column (1QAZ, 2WSX, etc) with each horizontal key row, and they divide the keyboard into "blocks" (alphanumeric, numpad, F keys, mod keys), they will produce many conflicts within each "block" just like the one you describe. Run a keyboard test to see which particular key combinations work and do not work on your keyboard. A quick-n-dirty measure of keyboard quality is to simultaneously hold down both Shift keys while typing every letter, here on my cheap office keyboard I get "TEQIKBRWNFXJMPSVERTELAZYDG" lol.

If the keyboard is already damaged then it might be worth buying a replacement part. (Note that Asus replacement parts can be purchased from many non-Asus sites, often at much lower costs, lol.)

I can't comment on issues between WinOS driver versions. The G75VW ships with Win7x64, it's probably best to stick with Win7x64 when running Asus-provided software/drivers. But you've already got Win10 installed, and this keyboard quirk seems a small issue which is not in itself enough to be worth the hassles (sometimes the massive hassles) involved in a full WinOS retrograde. Again, an external keyboard is a good workaround.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

IT used to work just fine when it had windows 10 on it. I am not longer running 10 and it is windows 7 x64 now. I remapped the keys to ESDF yesterday and played about with it for a while. It worked fine as long as you don't press 2 of the default movement keys at the same time. Then it will only register the first key pressed. I know for sure it registers multiple keys at once like Ctrl or Shift and E + and 2 or even 3 more keys all at once. So possibly 4 at one time on occasion I think. I really don't want to go back to windows 10 unless I absolutely have to. I suppose I could put in another HDD and load windows 10 on it and give it a test to see if it works again. But that sucks cause if it does then i need to transfer when is on it now over to another drive as it has a extra SSD i had in it now. Then I have to install 10 on the SSD and transfer stuff back and blah blah blah. As for using external stuff that is not really something I am going to do. If I were to do that then I might as well use my desktop that is light years better then the laptop. It kind of defeats the purpose of it being a laptop even though its not really portable. It is just weird it is only those keys keys that wont work in combination with each other. I just really feel like its not a mechanical issue and there is something going on that could be fixed. I just never had a problem with keys like that ever and I am pretty good at resolving this kind of stuff.

asterik216 wrote:
IT used to work just fine when it had windows 10 on it.

This tells you what you are experiencing is not a hardware issue, but a software issue. The problem is not the laptop or the keyboard. It must be the drivers you are using as it worked fine in another OS environment.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72