cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Alpha random shutdown after POST

g00dkat
Level 7
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my new first build. My PC randomly shuts down after POST, sometimes after cold boot, sometimes after restart. It also happened after first power on. In the Event viewer I have noticed 'critical error' - Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task 63. Nonetheless, I have never experienced BSOD. If I get to boot properly, everything seems normal, ran RealBench with no problems. Temps are fine - 25-30C idle, 65C load. I am running Win10 64bit, updated all, including the drivers.
I am running optimized deafults in BIOS. I have tried BIOS 2202 and 1902, cleared CMOS, reinstalled cooler and thermal paste, swapped RAM to A1 B1, tried only one stick of each RAM, tried to boot without GPU (with no GPU installed I have noticed visual artifacts during POST - bottom half of the screen looked like checkerboard). Now I'm a bit lost.:( I'm suspecting faulty PSU or MoBo. Any other ideas?

My configuration:
Seasonic Platinum Series 760w
Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
Intel Core i7 6700K
Cryorig R1 Universal
DDR4 16GB KIT 3200 CL14 G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-16GTZSK (It's not on the QVL list for Hero Alpha - can that cause such problems???)
Samsung SSD 850 PRO
WD 1TB Black
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB STRIX GAMING OC
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
Have you populated the 8 pin power connector that's on the motherboard? Also try testing your system with a single memory module.

Chino wrote:
Have you populated the 8 pin power connector that's on the motherboard? Also try testing your system with a single memory module.

Do you mean the EATX12V top left? I have it connected. I have also tried solo memory modules. No success.

UPDATE:
After days of searching for the answer on the web, i have found a post with faulty SATA cables as the culprit of similar problems. Thus, I have cleared CMOS, updated BIOS to 2202, opened new pack of SATA cables, connected everything and voila. Shutdowns are gone. I formated both drives, reinstalled win10 and updated OS and drivers. The error message (event ID 41) in Event viewer is also gone.

Now everything runs stable for 3 days. Will report back if anything changes.