cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Gene | Skylake 6700k | Can't set my CPU voltage manually

Kai01W
Level 7
Hi,

I just got a new Skylake 6700k for my Maximus VIII Gene Motherboard. Before that I had a 6700. I noticed that with the new 6700k with BIOS options set to default it sets a base of voltage of 1.316, which looks quite high to me. Also the CPU temperature seems to be quite volatile in that in can within a second jump from 25 to 54 degrees (I have a noctua 12s cooler). So I thought maybe to lower the voltage as (for the moment) I am not doing any overclocking.
However in my Bios when I set the "CPU Core/Cache" Voltage mode from "auto" to "manual", instead of getting a box where to enter a value I just get another pull down that is set to "auto" as its only option. I tried the "offset mode" but again I cant put in actual numbers, there is jut a box set to "auto" which I cannot change.
My Bios was just updated to the latest version a couple of days ago.

Any ideas what I need to do?

thanks
Kai
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
The CPU Core Voltage Override option should appear. Then you can type a value in the box.

Yes, a second(!) box appears, labelled "- CPU Core Voltage Override". But I can't input any number. It is set to "Auto" and I can't change it.

Maybe some other setting prevents it from being changeable?

thanks

Kai

Kai01W wrote:
Yes, a second(!) box appears, labelled "- CPU Core Voltage Override". But I can't input any number. It is set to "Auto" and I can't change it.

Maybe some other setting prevents it from being changeable?

thanks

Kai

Click inside the box and type a value.

hiong
Level 8
a few points
- 1.316V is not high
- temperatures jumping from 25 to 54 degree within a second is normal, and 54 C is not high at all
- setting to "Manual" voltage will result in constant voltage if I'm not wrong, and will not downvolt even when at idle, so you lose more than you win