cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone PLEASE help me with my Asus G73jh

SolidSnake8129
Level 7
OK So I bought this from a friend of a friend who had given up on it for very cheap because he beleived to have either busted the graphics card or the motherboard.

LONG story short

I got the laptop managed to SOMEHOW resurrect it for a little bit but it had odd graphical errors like pixelation, green and purple lines here and there and eventually it was done. So I decided to replace the motherboard (i've had to do this for a Dell)

So I get a new motherboard and it's a green color instead of brownish orange or whatever install everything correctly no problems (not a noob to this kind of work)

OK Keyboard now lights up but still NO screen, display, or boot up.

So I remove the graphics card bake it (can't remember the video I followed but it doesnt matter it did not work)

NO worries I used thermal paste when re-doing all of this as well as a power wipe (hold power button after turning off before touching things like I said not a noob)

OK so it's dead whatever I shelf this laptop for about a year because Life finances and what not.

Just this month I decided to order a replacement Graphics card (this one to be exact)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251635573981?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Plug it up and install everything BOOM yay happiness i'm getting some form of progress YAY!!!

till BOOP all of sudden I've been redoing windows 7 all dang weekend because if I install catalyst driver or do something silly like put the resolution to max before installing certain drivers I will be greeted with blue screen loops forever so I learned the process, downloaded drivers accordingly, and all for ONE day I had this laptop running BEAUTIFULLY, restarted it and got some things working like LAN and everything so I was really happy and looking forward to making this my new main laptop.

SO I get home i'm tired going to let it run some updates and what not GO to sleep, wake up don't touch it and go to work, come home and NOW i have NOTHING the laptop does not make sounds, keyboard will light up, and nothing happens no backlight NOTHING AT ALL

back to being a god damn brick and I don't understand.......

I have 6GB of memory I've switched them all about and around hoping for a solution NOTHING.

I even put the OLD motherboard in JUST IN CASE and still nothing... by the way the motherbaord I replaced it with was this (no link but hopefully this is good information)

Genuine Asus G73JH 17.3" Laptop Intel Laptop Motherboard 60-NY8MB1200-B08

The seller on ebay is pmvision

My specs are

Asus G73jh
6GB Ram
Graphics Card (http://www.ebay.com/itm/251635573981?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)
intel i7 (don't know how to tell what generation)
Windows 7 Home Premium

PLEASE any advice and guidance would be GREATLY apprecaited i'm ready to cry honestly out of pure frustration

I'd like to re-up that i'm no noob i've done everything almost absolutely right at this point i'm just wondering did I get some dud parts that weren't actually "genuine" or even "not new" or something like that or i'm just uneducated to an unkown factor here?

PLEASE someone have an answer 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

TimeTorn
Level 7
I have the same laptop, picked it up for $200 at a pawn shop a couple years ago. Not a bad deal.. Laptop is running fine for me, I'm typing on it right now. There was a VBios update for this laptop, to fix a green screen of death error. Also, newer drivers are not compatible with the old VBios. I've never heard of this problem causing a completely unresponsive system though.

Not sure what to tell you as far as your laptop goes man.. I noticed you repeatedly said "I'm not a noob" in your post.. saying something like that so many times, makes me think maybe you're not quite a professional. In over your head, know just enough to get yourself into trouble.

If I had to throw a guess out there, if the laptop has already chewed up two graphics cards, there's probably a voltage issue, capacitors or whatever causing it to fry the graphics cards. I would also say maybe something is wrong with the bios settings.. but I don't think there's an option to increase voltage with the stock bios.

Anyways this laptop came out in like 2010.. It's now almost 2017, so you're playing with nearly 7 year old hardware. Performance wise.. You could pick up a mid-range consumer laptop that would outperform this thing for $300-400 brand new retail. It would have a warranty, support, drivers and all that.

I would highly advise you to just go out, bite the bullet, and buy something else. Salvage what you can from the laptop you have now, sell what you can on ebay.

Unless you plan on playing games outside of your own home, on a regular basis, I would suggest you buy a desktop. You'll get much better performance for your money. Current gen laptops are VERY competitive with desktop performance, especially with the new Pascal GPUs, the mobile versions are identical to their desktop counterparts. But again, unless you play lan parties and such, or portable gaming is a must, like in my case since I'm a truck driver, and a desktop just isn't an option in a semi-truck.

Get a decent gaming desktop, and spend the money you saved on a decent little notebook for when you need the portability.

My new laptop will be in the mail tomorrow, Intel i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32gb DDR4 2666mhz, 4k display, samsung 950 pro m.2 nvme, I blew $2650 on it. If it wasn't for the fact that I can't really use a desktop, I would have just spent $1500ish on a desktop, and another $500 on a decent laptop, and saved $500.

If you're on a really tight budget, AMD Apus are a decent way to go. Here's one from walmart for $230 https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-ba018wm-15.6-Laptop-Windows-10-Home-AMD-Quad-Core-E2-7110-APU-Proce...

Anything above the $300 price range, just stay away from AMD, and go with Intel/Nvidea.

Anyways, sorry if this wasn't the answer you were hoping for. I know it's hard, depressing, and frustrating giving up on an old computer that was pretty good during it's hayday. But sometimes it's better just to let things go.

If you already have a better system that you use as your main computer, and you're just playing around with the g73jh for kicks, I wouldn't buy the same GPU if you're going to replace the graphics card. Get something better, since the GPU in this thing is it's main bottleneck. The CPU really isn't that bad, at least on mine since it has the 720QM.

Good luck to you.

I have to agree with Timetorn. These asus laptops are notoriously unreliable, even when new, just look around these threads. Just get rid of it and build a gaming desktop pc instead. Buying a second hand asus ROG is like buying a 2nd hand alfa romeo, from the scrapyard. I know it sucks, but sometimes we make bad investments that go horribly wrong, thats all part of life. Just remember to forget asus on your next purchase lol.

I think I may have gotten a bad Graphics card So after getting another (ship this back get a different no extra $) if it does not work i'm going to "BIT THE BULLET"

I constantly said i'm "not a noob" because in the past when trying to get help NO ONE would aknowledge anything if you were new to the forums. I may not have the MOST experience behind me but I won't "get myself intro trouble" Imagine being treated to and talked to like a kid just because you don't have a degree or anything more solid experience wise behind you

I just want some legitimately diagnostic and legitimate answers not belittling lol (not saying ANY of you have done that just kind of explaining myself)

I'm going to go that route with the walmart computer and that's almost regardless if I get this running or not i have an HP i'm going to IDK get back in top shape but I wanted to get the Asus running before that. I have a crappy old Dell Tower I was looking into upgrading (more on that later I don't have it in front of me to give specs) but I appreciate the advice and the reply and love you for it!

I'll post my specs on the HP i have and if it's easier to upgrade that or whatever i'll go with that

the pc i'm typing on is a Pavilion dv7

and just for the sake of it

would the voltage thing be an issue after getting a New mother board and graphicis card I mean everything dealing with that stuff has been replaced

TimeTorn wrote:
I have the same laptop, picked it up for $200 at a pawn shop a couple years ago. Not a bad deal.. Laptop is running fine for me, I'm typing on it right now. There was a VBios update for this laptop, to fix a green screen of death error. Also, newer drivers are not compatible with the old VBios. I've never heard of this problem causing a completely unresponsive system though.

Not sure what to tell you as far as your laptop goes man.. I noticed you repeatedly said "I'm not a noob" in your post.. saying something like that so many times, makes me think maybe you're not quite a professional. In over your head, know just enough to get yourself into trouble.

If I had to throw a guess out there, if the laptop has already chewed up two graphics cards, there's probably a voltage issue, capacitors or whatever causing it to fry the graphics cards. I would also say maybe something is wrong with the bios settings.. but I don't think there's an option to increase voltage with the stock bios.

Anyways this laptop came out in like 2010.. It's now almost 2017, so you're playing with nearly 7 year old hardware. Performance wise.. You could pick up a mid-range consumer laptop that would outperform this thing for $300-400 brand new retail. It would have a warranty, support, drivers and all that.

I would highly advise you to just go out, bite the bullet, and buy something else. Salvage what you can from the laptop you have now, sell what you can on ebay.

Unless you plan on playing games outside of your own home, on a regular basis, I would suggest you buy a desktop. You'll get much better performance for your money. Current gen laptops are VERY competitive with desktop performance, especially with the new Pascal GPUs, the mobile versions are identical to their desktop counterparts. But again, unless you play lan parties and such, or portable gaming is a must, like in my case since I'm a truck driver, and a desktop just isn't an option in a semi-truck.

Get a decent gaming desktop, and spend the money you saved on a decent little notebook for when you need the portability.

My new laptop will be in the mail tomorrow, Intel i7 6820HK, GTX 1070, 32gb DDR4 2666mhz, 4k display, samsung 950 pro m.2 nvme, I blew $2650 on it. If it wasn't for the fact that I can't really use a desktop, I would have just spent $1500ish on a desktop, and another $500 on a decent laptop, and saved $500.

If you're on a really tight budget, AMD Apus are a decent way to go. Here's one from walmart for $230 https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-15-ba018wm-15.6-Laptop-Windows-10-Home-AMD-Quad-Core-E2-7110-APU-Proce...

Anything above the $300 price range, just stay away from AMD, and go with Intel/Nvidea.

Anyways, sorry if this wasn't the answer you were hoping for. I know it's hard, depressing, and frustrating giving up on an old computer that was pretty good during it's hayday. But sometimes it's better just to let things go.

If you already have a better system that you use as your main computer, and you're just playing around with the g73jh for kicks, I wouldn't buy the same GPU if you're going to replace the graphics card. Get something better, since the GPU in this thing is it's main bottleneck. The CPU really isn't that bad, at least on mine since it has the 720QM.

Good luck to you.

Could you link me to something that is maybe on par with this 7 year old Asus or a little better but not to $$$ I mean I don't need nothing EXTRADONAIRY I just want something a tiny bit above average (not if average is already better) just point me in the direction. I'm tired of my i5 not being enough for Elgato capture and Ram isn't as much an issue I just want to do stuff without hassle lol