cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G20AJ with 32gb RAM

spartan_hoplite
Level 10
Is it possible if I put 32gb (2x16gb) ddr3l in to G20AJ?
I heard Haswell is not possible to use 16gb for a single slot. Plan to upgrade my Ram so it can can run heavy program easly. Need advice. thanks
6 REPLIES 6

spartan_hoplite
Level 10
Anyone? plan to buy 2x16gb ddr3l kit but I am afraid it `ll not compatible with g20aj.

Download the HWInfo software (it's free).
Run HWInfo, and on left tab select your PC, expand the list, and click on your processor. Then scroll down to CPU SKU features, where you will see the following:
DDR overclocking = not supported
overclocking = not supported
overclocking = disabled
2 dimms per channel = supported
maximum memory size per channel = 16gb

According to HWInfo, 32gb of ram is supported (i.e. 16gb per channel).

spartan_hoplite
Level 10
Yes according to HWinfo max memory size perchannel is 16gb, not per slot. G20aj only have 2 RAM slot, H97 chipset support 32gb RAM with 4 slot(2 channels). According to Crucial System Scanner 32gb ram is not supported.

Yes, maybe the HWInfo was misleading (this info was in an older post).
But it does seem that channel means two DIMMS (further up it says two DIMMS per channel), which would then mean one 16 GB channel is for two DIMM slots. So maybe only 16 GB supported.

Unless you're doing image or video processing, you won't need more than 16 GB :)*

Welsh_Whoopee
Level 11
yeah you can upgrade to 32gb of ram for the i7 cpu's, but the DDR3 are very expensive and I don't think its worth it, the DDR4 32g is way cheaper.

Welsh Whoopee wrote:
yeah you can upgrade to 32gb of ram for the i7 cpu's, but the DDR3 are very expensive and I don't think its worth it, the DDR4 32g is way cheaper.
hh *

is it necessary to upgrade to the i7 processor before going to 16gb of ram? I’m trying to figure out what my upgrade path will be. Currently running intel i5, gtx 750, 8 fb of ram ( I was actually talking to you on your YouTube channel). I plan on upgrading to a rtx 2060 next check.. wanted to go up to 32gb but this post has me confused on what it can actually support. I have both power supplies as well.