cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero 00 code after enabling XMP

thebeeq
Level 7
Hello,

( TL;DR: 00 code after enabling XMP 3200MHz )

I recently purchased Asus Maximus VIII Hero -motherboard, and I'm loving every bit of it.
However, I ran into an issue, which appears to be just temporary and might be minor, but I thought to ask here for advice.
Upon purchasing I had to upgrade CPU and Memory as well, so I ended up with i7-6700K and a 64GB 3200Mhz memory module kit by Corsair ( CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 )

With all the default settings the board runs the memory at 2133MHz, so I enabled only XMP profile I could find:
DRAM Frequency -> DDR4-3200MHz
Voltage -> 1.3500
CAS# -> 16
RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 18
RAS# ACT Time -> 36

Then booted it up, and everything worked like a charm (even that I couldn't find this particular memory module kit on any QVL. As a rookie I didn't even know about QVLs until now 😄 )

After all the software installations, I multiboxed with 10 WoW clients for a couple of hours with no problems so still working just great. ( CPU temps at 55 celsius at maximum (cpuID) )

I even let the computer running idle over night to check if it's still functional in the morning, and it was, so I turned it off and left for work.

Later in the evening I tried to boot it up, but it didn't post and the Q Code was showing 00, and the rear chassis fan wasn't spinning. Both CPU fans were, however. (No signal for monitor)

I pushed the reset CMOS and the computer turned on, then off, and then on again, allowing to post and boot at 2133MHz default setting, and everything worked again.

Before the night, I turned it off and on again, and it booted again perfectly.
Still at default 2133MHz, so I enabled XMP 3200MHz profile again, booted it up, still working.
I turned it off and on again, the Q Code showing 00, rear chassis fan not spinning, cpu ones are.

Now, I forgot to check which LEDs are lit during the 00 code, but I'll get back to this later today when I get back home.
Meanwhile, if anyone finds/knows a solution how I could run the memory modules at their default speed without all the constant CMOS resetting I would be grateful for all the tips. It's not a major issue for me, since I can use the computer at 2133MHz just fine, but I'm curious.

Thanks in advance!
Thebeeq
5 REPLIES 5

Dave500
Level 7
thebeeq wrote:
Hello,

( TL;DR: 00 code after enabling XMP 3200MHz )

I recently purchased Asus Maximus VIII Hero -motherboard, and I'm loving every bit of it.
However, I ran into an issue, which appears to be just temporary and might be minor, but I thought to ask here for advice.
Upon purchasing I had to upgrade CPU and Memory as well, so I ended up with i7-6700K and a 64GB 3200Mhz memory module kit by Corsair ( CMK64GX4M4B3200C16 )

With all the default settings the board runs the memory at 2133MHz, so I enabled only XMP profile I could find:
DRAM Frequency -> DDR4-3200MHz
Voltage -> 1.3500
CAS# -> 16
RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 18
RAS# ACT Time -> 36

Then booted it up, and everything worked like a charm (even that I couldn't find this particular memory module kit on any QVL. As a rookie I didn't even know about QVLs until now 😄 )

After all the software installations, I multiboxed with 10 WoW clients for a couple of hours with no problems so still working just great. ( CPU temps at 55 celsius at maximum (cpuID) )

I even let the computer running idle over night to check if it's still functional in the morning, and it was, so I turned it off and left for work.

Later in the evening I tried to boot it up, but it didn't post and the Q Code was showing 00, and the rear chassis fan wasn't spinning. Both CPU fans were, however. (No signal for monitor)

I pushed the reset CMOS and the computer turned on, then off, and then on again, allowing to post and boot at 2133MHz default setting, and everything worked again.

Before the night, I turned it off and on again, and it booted again perfectly.
Still at default 2133MHz, so I enabled XMP 3200MHz profile again, booted it up, still working.
I turned it off and on again, the Q Code showing 00, rear chassis fan not spinning, cpu ones are.

Now, I forgot to check which LEDs are lit during the 00 code, but I'll get back to this later today when I get back home.
Meanwhile, if anyone finds/knows a solution how I could run the memory modules at their default speed without all the constant CMOS resetting I would be grateful for all the tips. It's not a major issue for me, since I can use the computer at 2133MHz just fine, but I'm curious.

Thanks in advance!
Thebeeq
Have you tried the manual approach , setting the frequency manually ?, you can also set the voltage too this way Also there is a button on this mobo that to put in laymans terms is supposed to tune the board to the ram modules , though i haven't needed to use that in anger myself it does exist, maybe it will help you ,i hope something of what i have said helps you achieve your xmp goal , and thats not me jesting

MeanMachine
Level 13
Your ram at 3200MHz and 64GB is quite a strain on the IMC of your chip. Intel rate this chip for 2133MHz so your XMP profile is an OC and may not work.
Sometimes you can get them to work with Primary Timings and voltage set manually in Bios.
If you can't get them to work at the rams rated frequency then either accept the 2133MHz that works or return the kit if you can.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Chino
Level 15

Hi all, and thanks a lot for your replies.

While the refund policy on the working memory modules is very thin on this particular retailer, I decided to accept running the kit at 2133Mhz, but I'll keep everything you wrote in mind.

As the computer is running fine with OC 3200Mhz frequency, I guess I could learn some basics of overclocking some day if I could make it more stable so it would restart without problems. First time ever I bought a memory module kit which came with it's own cooler. Sadly it doesn't currently fit with the Noctua NH-D15 processor cooler.

I don't see any temperature differences between 2133MHz and 3200Mhz so it looks like there to be a good window for tuning the values where they should be, but as said I have a lot of studying to do first 😆 ( or do the temps change only when adding voltage? )

@Dave500, did you refer to MemOK -button by the way?

NemesisChild
Level 12
Enable XMP but set your DRAM voltage to 1.40v. If that works, decrease in 0.10v increments until unstable.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601