cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Ranger VIII DIMM B1 or B2 Q-Code 55 GSkills Ripjaws V PC3333

DukeBlue
Level 7
Hello,

I am having issues building a machine for a friend; the machine is substantially similar to the one I successfully built for myself a few months ago.

Relevant Specs:
ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger
Intel Core i7-6700
32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3333 (2x16GB)

No matter what I try, if I put any memory module in DIMM socket B1 or B2, the machine fails to POST with Q-Code 55, even with XMP turned off and the motherboard otherwise at factory settings. The machine boots fine if modules are only installed in DIMM socket A1 and/or A2.

What I have tried:

• Moving the modules around to various sockets. The machine will only POST if sockets B1 and B2 are both empty.
  • Clearing CMOS (multiple times).
  • Updating BIOS (to version 2202).
  • Increasing SA and IO voltage up to 1.30V as suggested in other posts.
  • Increasing DRAM voltage to 1.40V as suggested in other posts.
  • Searching in vain for a "Maximus Tweak Mode" setting in the BIOS that has been mentioned in other posts. (Is this setting not available on this model? What does it do to other settings so that I can try the same, as others seemed to have much success with this?)
  • Filling all 4 sockets with the same model modules from my own machine.
  • Disable MCH Full Check Setting.
  • Tried all of the above with XMP both on and off (Auto).

This situation is preventing us from seeing dual-channel goodness. I'm starting to think a defective motherboard could be the culprit.

As I mentioned, I built a very similar machine a few months ago, using the Maximus VIII Formula motherboard with the same CPU and RAM. No issues there, ever.

Advice?

Thanks,
Duke
6 REPLIES 6

yamatosan
Level 8
Hi DukeBlue,

When running XMP at DDR4 3200 MHz or higher, the system’s stability depends on the CPU’s capabilities (silicon lottery).
Also, any DDR4 2133+ is practically an Overclocking.
Sockets should be A2 and B2 for 2 modules, according to manual.
As Nate152 said an a previous post on forum try this:
- AI Overclok tuner to XMP at rated spec 3333 (if this does not boot try stock speed 2133);
- CPU VCCIO voltage 1.15V ... 1.20V;
- CPU System Agent voltage 1.15V ... 1.20V;
- start with both VCCIO and System Agent at 1.15V and change with low increment

Regards,
Serj

yamatosan wrote:
Hi DukeBlue,

When running XMP at DDR4 3200 MHz or higher, the system’s stability depends on the CPU’s capabilities (silicon lottery).
Also, any DDR4 2133+ is practically an Overclocking.
Sockets should be A2 and B2 for 2 modules, according to manual.
As Nate152 said an a previous post on forum try this:
- AI Overclok tuner to XMP at rated spec 3333 (if this does not boot try stock speed 2133);
- CPU VCCIO voltage 1.15V ... 1.20V;
- CPU System Agent voltage 1.15V ... 1.20V;
- start with both VCCIO and System Agent at 1.15V and change with low increment

Regards,
Serj

Serj,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately these steps have all already been tried. System will not POST with any module in B1 or B2, even at stock 2133 speed, at any voltage up to the amounts listed in my original post.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks,
Duke

Nate152
Hi DukeBlue

If raising the voltages didn't help it's possible your cpu heatsink is a little too tight or you may have some bent cpu socket pins.

Inspect the cpu socket for any bent or misaligned pins in good light with a magnifying glass, look close and carefully and make sure they're ALL straight and in order. If the socket looks good all rams stick work and your heatsink isn't too tight then likely a bad board, slight chance it could be the cpu.

So yeah, it looks like the issue was with two slightly bent pins on the CPU socket, right in the middle of the group, not toward an edge or anything. It was a remarkably precise area of damage, only 2 adjacent pins were affected. Very hard to notice unless looked at from the right angle. No idea how that happened, things were exposed for all of 15 seconds and all proper procedures were followed with the install tool and cover. My friend was watching over my shoulder and agrees that he saw no untoward contact with the socket. I was even talking to him at the time about the importance of being very careful on this step of system assembly and the dangers of a bent pin voiding the warranty. (Yeah, I know, another "Immaculate Deformation" story - I never thought it would happen to me) We used a Frio Silent 14 cooler, which seems practically impossible to overtighten.

At any rate, a sewing needle, keen eye, and VERY steady hand were able to set things right (I felt a bit like Dr. Strange in the surgery scene at the beginning of the movie) and my friend's new system is now up and running properly.

Thanks,
Duke

Nate152
Thank you for reporting and good job straightening the two socket pins.

How are you and your friend liking the maximus viii ranger?