cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest BIOS ISSUES SSD dissapearing BIOS and RIP SSD

pexzman
Level 7
Hi people.

Recently my boot SSD died after a long time of problems since upgrading from BIOS 1902 --> 2001 ---->2202.
Long story short with 2001 my ssd dissapeared from bios when booting at times. Misterous crashes and directly to BIOS.
So i updated to 2202 and the problems multiply x5.

I tested PSU : fine
Memory: fine
SSD (Kingston Hyperx Savage 480GB): fine. With all Kingston tools and third software parties. No problem whatsoever.

Until 2 day ago..the SSD died and showed 1mb as capacity and goodbye to all my info...

I connected another brand new SSD Kingston and so far so good until today again the BIOS didn´t show it. After a total power off it worked fine.

What i saw is and is strange when booting is that now always the ROG logo appears and the black screen shows a blinking cursor " _ " moving from upper left to the center before entering to windows or BIOS.

This all happened with the new BIOS versions. At first i thought maybe the SSD but i got multiple NB working with the same model with no issues.

I think i will downgrade to 1902 but please ASUS check what is going on as other people had similar problem with SSD dissapearing from the bios in this forum.

As a extra bonus please fix the eternal loop when installing the new realtek drivers....

Regards

CSP
8 REPLIES 8

Dave500
Level 7
Never had the ssd disapear before, but i do get the blinking cursor from left hand top of sreen to middle after the bios logo screen and booting into windows i'm running an older version 1502 and win 7 sp1 it has done this since i upgraded the bios from whatever version was on the board when shipped

Dave500 wrote:
Never had the ssd disapear before, but i do get the blinking cursor from left hand top of sreen to middle after the bios logo screen and booting into windows i'm running an older version 1502 and win 7 sp1 it has done this since i upgraded the bios from whatever version was on the board when shipped

Hi Dave.

Then that is not an issue with bios and is just something i did not see before. Thanks for your insight.

Chino
Level 15
I've been using the 2202 BIOS for a while now and my SSDs are just fine. The chances of a BIOS update killing your SSDs are slim. Most probably your PSU is the culprit here.

Chino wrote:
I've been using the 2202 BIOS for a while now and my SSDs are just fine. The chances of a BIOS update killing your SSDs are slim. Most probably your PSU is the culprit here.

Hi Chino.

I doubt is the PSU as it works fine under heavy load and in idle. Voltage is always ok for cpu - gpu - memory. This was the first thing i checked with bios and with the al suite when under load.

And if the psu is with problems all the other SSD present inside my rig would suffer the same problems and this is not happening.

I play heavy games under a lot of PSU power without lags or hangs or reboots ( Asus strix 980ti OC DC3). And as my original post, this behavior started with the last two bios updates.

Can be that i got a faulty SSD but now im working with a second one and today is the second time my bios didn´t show it. And i already changed the sata cable and port.

im really thinking to downgrade the bios...

My SSD disappears on clear CMOS or when updating the BIOS all the time. To resolve it, all I have to do is go to SATA settings and change it to RAID, save and reset, enter the BIOS again and change it back to AHCI, save and reset. It seems to pick the disk up again after that. Just in case it's relevant, I'm using a Crucial SSD.

Mr_Wolf
Level 7
You have all these problems after factory defaults without any OC?
No ram OC and no cpu OC?

I have a Hero 8 with samsung 850 EVo and crucial mx100.
Never had had them disappeared or not being detected.
I bought the mb when it was released and used all the bios versions.

Only thing I had, that could be related, was a cold boot issue from OC.
OC is 100% stable with prime95 blend test.
If I lower Vccio and Vsav, system is still 100% P95 stable, but randomly it would not boot.
1 day per week the mb would not boot.
Putting this back to auto the problem disappears.
See if you OC your ram and need to adjust these.

I also think a unstable OC could corrupt a hardisk (ssd or not).
Many years ago, I OC the PCI bus and it killed my HD, the HD saw all those data errors and marked a lot of sectors bad 😞
Smart also marked the hdd bad.

Maybe none of this is related to your problem, it's just my experience.

You say that you have more SSDs and only that brand and model has problems?

@azumi123
what MB and SSD model you have?

Hi MR Wolf.

No OC. Just defaults.

SSD Kingston (both). But the problem just happens with the one that boots. I dismiss is a problem with the SSD as i purchased 8 at the same time that are already working fine in different notebooks and desktops.

And the problems only arise with this computer after the bios updates. I can understand that maybe one SSD was faulty..ok..but the second one showing the same starting issues as the one that died is really strange. And just here.

i`ll need to wait to see what Kingston says after the RMA...

salutes.

Mr_Wolf
Level 7
You have it connected to the 1rst sata port of the intel controller?
When the problem happens the SSD is the only SATA device not detected?

Some bios options you could try:
- Try boot option "fast boot = disable", to see if this will change the detection problem.
- Maybe also test with CSM boot option enable and disable, to see if this will change the detection problem.
- Select the SSD to be the only boot device.