cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding GL502VS Before Purchasing

DaRkKenX
Level 7
Hello Everyone,

Recently I have been looking for a high end gaming laptop I could buy to replace my outdated one.
I came across Asus ROG GL502VS while searching for a good laptop.

To my surprise, it comes with GTX 1070 while having significant lower cost than other gaming laptop with the same.
However, I heard several negative reviews like:-

-Battery Issues (Discharging while plugged in)
-Overheating (To high extent)
-Loud fans even when not gaming or high utilization of CPU/GPU.
-Poor Build quality

So, now I've been having second thoughts regarding weather I should buy this laptop or not.

Therefore, I would like some advise from you all who could help me reach a definite answer.
1) Should I buy GL502VS, is it worth it for long term use?
2) If not, then what gaming laptop is worth getting? (Please Note: I'm willing to buy a laptop of price ~$1700)

inb4 "Just get a gaming PC", while I do realize PCs are cheaper as well as have better performance than laptop, but unfortunately I need a portable device hence going for a laptop.

Thank you in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

Metallican
Level 7
DaRkKenX wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Recently I have been looking for a high end gaming laptop I could buy to replace my outdated one.

To my surprise, it comes with GTX 1070 while having significant lower cost than other gaming laptop with the same.

-Poor Build quality

So, now I've been having second thoughts regarding weather I should buy this laptop or not.

Therefore, I would like some advise from you all who could help me reach a definite answer.
2) If not, then what gaming laptop is worth getting? (Please Note: I'm willing to buy a laptop of price ~$1700)

inb4 "Just get a gaming PC", while I do realize PCs are cheaper as well as have better performance than laptop, but unfortunately I need a portable device hence going for a laptop.

Thank you in advance.

This laptop does have a problem with the battery, dont bet on your luck. you will get it.
It is not a dealbreaker imo, you can live with it.

As for the heat. yes, it runs very hot -internally-. and that is a big deal.
compared to other notebooks with 1070 GTX, the difference is from 10 up to 20 or 30 C. that is too much.
The fans thing is not true for most users. I dont notice the fans when not doing something heavy.
Poor buildquality: I actually like its build, there is a poor quality assurance from ASUS though, seen a very large number getting defected units.

IMO, get an MSI or an Alienware. they are more expensive, but much much less problems.
The alienware is my no.1 choice, it has the amplifier adapter, which means good future proof, even with gtx 1060.
The msi is beast when it comes to cooling.

Kaffa
Level 7
DaRkKenX wrote:
Hello Everyone,

-Poor Build quality

Thank you in advance.

The battery was a dealbreaker for me. In 2 years the battery will suck, I mean, will last for ~40min without plugging. What will happen then? The CPU&GPU will throttle down, or worse, the laptop would just shut down. Unacceptable for me.

Heating was fine for me... not more than 85c. ASUS & Nvidia say its normal, I think its too much for an electronic device.

Fans are not loud when doing nothing.. You will really start to hear them at 60-65c. When browsing you will get ~40. You will not hear the fans.

The plastic on the outside is cheap, but light weight. Also the fingerprints are annoying, but I can live with that.

For the same price you can get the Clevo 8153. Same specs, no problems, better build quality. (still noisy & heating to around 80c.)
Check youtube for a review,

Kaffa wrote:

Fans are not loud when doing nothing.. You will really start to hear them at 60-65c. When browsing you will get ~40. You will not hear the fans.

Unless you're unlucky like me and they spin up to full speed at idle for no reason several times a day for maybe half an hour at a time

SpyderBlades
Level 7
DaRkKenX wrote:
Hello Everyone,

-Poor Build quality

Thank you in advance.

This is coming from a guy who still owns an Asus G73 after 7 years. DON'T buy a GL502VS. I bought one a earlier this week and it had the battery drain problem. While under gaming load playing WoW, I would lose about 5% battery per hour. The laptop did run pretty hot too, but I figured it was probably supposed to since it's the newest generation of gaming rigs.

I went through two of these laptops in 2 days because the store wanted me to try a second one and see if it was a fluke or design flaw. Both had the problem. I returned for a full refund. The next day, after doing some research on MSI, I went in and bought the GT62VR-6RE. It's the MSI equivalent of the GL502 from Asus.

I am freaking amazed at how good the MSI is... I feel a bit bad saying this here on the ROG forum, but hey, Asus needs to know they lost a loyal customer and fan when they pushed the GL502 out with a tiny power supply.

The MSI GT62VR is a little beast. I had no idea MSI were this good. My only complaint was having to remove some annoying pre-installed software but that's the usual these days with any laptop. I thought MSI laptops ran hot for some reason, but I have never seen a gaming laptop run this cool ever. And I have been using them exclusively for 16 years because I travel for work. With the cooling boost fan button on, and the back of the laptop propped up an inch for airflow, and while gaming in World of Warcraft at Ultra settings, the GPU and CPU average temp was 41'C... I guess I need to overclock this thing. Having owned Asus, I'm very impressed with the qualiity of build on the MSI too. You won't be disappointed. I can verify, the MSI came with a 230 watt power supply and it will maintain and even charge while playing games. I am rambling, but you can probably tell I love this laptop. I have only had it two days and I'm still getting things tweaked and setup, but so far so good.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

Thanks a lot everybody for answering.
I guess I should go with MSI GT62VR-6RE then.

Upgraded at the $1399 price point from Microcenter. Absolutely thrilled but was still concerned with the "deal" because most times things that are too good to be true generally are. Once I gamed for a bit I noticed the battery drain and didn't think much of it. My adapter was run through an ups so i thought the draw may be lower. After switching adapters I began experiencing 10% battery loss per hour while gaming.

Needless to say I checked here, read a bit about "hybrid power" and decided it wasn't for me.

Thanks again to those who posted and shared their experiences on the forum (the captcha is ridiculous). I've returned the laptop for a full refund and will be shopping for a replacemen soon.

SpyderBlades wrote:
This is coming from a guy who still owns an Asus G73 after 7 years. DON'T buy a GL502VS. I bought one a earlier this week and it had the battery drain problem. While under gaming load playing WoW, I would lose about 5% battery per hour. The laptop did run pretty hot too, but I figured it was probably supposed to since it's the newest generation of gaming rigs.

I went through two of these laptops in 2 days because the store wanted me to try a second one and see if it was a fluke or design flaw. Both had the problem. I returned for a full refund. The next day, after doing some research on MSI, I went in and bought the GT62VR-6RE. It's the MSI equivalent of the GL502 from Asus.

I am freaking amazed at how good the MSI is... I feel a bit bad saying this here on the ROG forum, but hey, Asus needs to know they lost a loyal customer and fan when they pushed the GL502 out with a tiny power supply.

The MSI GT62VR is a little beast. I had no idea MSI were this good. My only complaint was having to remove some annoying pre-installed software but that's the usual these days with any laptop. I thought MSI laptops ran hot for some reason, but I have never seen a gaming laptop run this cool ever. And I have been using them exclusively for 16 years because I travel for work. With the cooling boost fan button on, and the back of the laptop propped up an inch for airflow, and while gaming in World of Warcraft at Ultra settings, the GPU and CPU average temp was 41'C... I guess I need to overclock this thing. Having owned Asus, I'm very impressed with the qualiity of build on the MSI too. You won't be disappointed. I can verify, the MSI came with a 230 watt power supply and it will maintain and even charge while playing games. I am rambling, but you can probably tell I love this laptop. I have only had it two days and I'm still getting things tweaked and setup, but so far so good.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

what is MSi forum? Send me the link please....

ledgedes
Level 7
DaRkKenX wrote:
Hello Everyone,

-Poor Build quality

Thank you in advance.

I read the reports as well, but I bought one, It's Great!! I do PCB layout, it SCREAMS, I have NOT seen any problem with this System!!!! I would recommend getting one to those who ask!!