cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Random issues booting up - Rampage V Ed 10

AzzaK555
Level 7
Hey Folks,

I built a PC close to two months ago now. Been running perfectly in every way until last night. I was going into a loading screen in Dragon Age Inquisition, and my PC froze inc Keyboard and Mouse. Had to do a hard shutdown. I booted it back up and it was perfectly normal as to be expected, got back into the game, got through that particular load screen and continued playing, half an hour later I encountered the same issue on a different load screen. This time however I had an array of errors on booting.

The problem:
Motherboard hung on B2 code - Legacy option ROM initialization
as a result, I can't boot my computer

Last night I was trawling forums on my phone and ended up reseating GPUs, and cleared CMOS - still had the error so I turned the power off at the wall and went to sleep.

This morning I turned AC back on and tried booting, this time I could get into the bios as it passed the B2 hang. I turned off the CSM as some people said it would work to bypass the legacy issues. I rebooted several times to have my computer hang on AA, A0 and A1 (random IDE and ASL codes that apparently mean nothing is wrong with the computer) right before logon screen - the loading would freeze and the monitor would then go black and I'd have to restart to be greeted by the B2 hang again, I can only pass the Legacy hang if I turn off AC and turn it back on.

After doing this cycle several times this morning, I'm now logged onto my PC as it has somehow passed all the checks and allowed me to log on - I'm now too scared to play a game or reboot as I need it for work haha.

My specs are as follows:
I7 6850k with water cooler
2x Gigabyte 1080 Extreme Gaming water cooled
RoG Rampage V Edition 10 Mobo
Asus 32inch 4k Predator
4x 8GB GSkill 2400 Ripjaw 5
Corsair 1200W Platinum PSU
512 Mk 2 SSD and 6TB Barracuda

It's a really strange issue I'm having and I'm stumped as to what could have caused it. Since finishing the build two months ago I have NOT moved a single thing in the PC and I have confirmed that all connections are secure and how they should be, I haven't even plugged anything into it besides the odd USB to the front panel. If anyone has any sort of advice I'd be greatly appreciative, even though it's a pain - if the Mobo needs an RMA job I'll do it as even putting up with this for one day was frustrating enough.

Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3

FireRx
Level 11
Try another PCie slot for you GPU, and make sure you GPu is seated properly. if is still not working I'd RMA the board.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

Chino
Level 15

Menthol
Level 14
AzzaK555, very nice PC you have, don't panic, do as Chino states, update to latest bios and run your system at default settings to see if everything is OK, no XMP setting, just defaults, wate video driver are you using as Nvidia has put out a couple recently that has been causing some issues lately, also how long are you waiting to see if it will pass these post codes? I have thought my system froze at a post code several times only to find it would continue to boot up if I waited several minutes