cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170 Pro Gaming adaptive voltage

Keidj
Level 7
Hello!

When I set my CPU(i7 6700K) to "fixed" voltage its stable at 4,4Ghz with 1.2V. When i then set adaptive voltage to 1.2V it still overshoots to 1.248V. It does the same if I lower the voltage below 1.248V.

edit: To make things clearer. If I set manual voltage to lets say 1.1V @ 4.2Ghz its 100% stable but when I then change it to adaptive voltage "max additional voltage" or w.e it says to 1.1V it still overshoots to 1.25V

Can any1 explain this for me please?
8 REPLIES 8

Keidj
Level 7
really, no1 knows?

Kalberg
Level 7
Maybe the ram to blame. If running ram at 2133 1.2volt cpu voltage normal, ram at 1.35volt, cpu voltage fixed at 1.25. That happend to me when running ram at 3000+Mhz...

Kalberg wrote:
Maybe the ram to blame. If running ram at 2133 1.2volt cpu voltage normal, ram at 1.35volt, cpu voltage fixed at 1.25. That happend to me when running ram at 3000+Mhz...

Ty for your answer!

U might be on to something. I belive everytime I tried with adaptive voltage below 1.25V the ram was in XMP profile 1. I will try right away with ram at 2133. I'll report back later 😄

Nate152
Hi Kalberg,

After changing the voltage to Adapitve mode just below that is the offset voltage, try setting it to -0.050v, this should put your cpu voltage at 1.18v - 1.20v under load.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Kalberg,

After changing the voltage to Adapitve mode just below that is the offset voltage, try setting it to -0.050v, this should put your cpu voltage at 1.18v - 1.20v under load.

Ty for your reply!

As I said in earlier post I think Kalberg is on to something because I have tried using all kinds of offsets in conjunction with adaptive voltage and all with same overshooting voltage.

I set the ram to default but still same voltage overshoot. I have searched the web and found no threads or posts on this matter anywhere.

edit: I set optimized defaults before I changed anything...so now I have to redo the fan profiles in AI Suite. I cant figure out why some of the fans arent controllable below 50% fan speed? Took me 15min to remember that with optimized defaults fans are set to DC mode, not PWM. Now Im laughing at myself :D:D:D:D Back to BIOS, again.

Nate152
Using a negative offset should lower the voltage, in DiGi+ try setting LLC to level 2 and see if this helps.

Jeez, this thread finally made me get the way adaptive voltage works, or so I think. I always thought the "additional turbo voltage" was ADDED to the offset-ed SVID voltage and thought the setting was broken because a minimum additional voltage of 0.25V is insane and wouldn't risk trying it out. Can someone confirm that the "additional voltage" is in fact a manual voltage (affected by the offset) to use in turbo mode? I wish I would have known earlier, and the description could have been clearer. Now I (supposedly, don't know for sure if this wasn't the case before overclocking) damaged my CPU trying to find a way to keep the turbo voltage down, thereby (I suppose) starving my CPU on lower frequencies, now SVID voltage is not enough for my CPU to run stably at frequencies below 2500MHz (< ~1V). Well...