cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No video o/p from GTX 1080 STRIX

guzorc
Level 7
Hi. When my card is fitted, i get no video at all from either card or motherboard. Not even to access bios . With it removed i can use integrated video to access the bios. I have replaced both motherboard (maximus VIII skylake) and graphics card. I get no fault codes from the mother board during boot up, and I believe its getting to windows. I have fitted an old card (8800GTS) and i get video. I have tried both the DVI and HDMI o/p's and still nothing. Bios is at 2202. Have tried changing video setting in bios to pcie, but no luck. Have checked HDMI leads. Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

toronto699
Level 13
What version of W10 do u have ? u need W10 Version 1511 or higher for a NVidia 10 series card. Type winver in the search box lower left to see your version of W10 ,
u can get Windows 10 Anniversary Update here if u have lower than version 1511 u will lose nothing with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

Hi. Its the latest. 1605 or whatever it is. I have checked for that issue, but I fail to see how that would affect my ability to see the bios menu. Which I cant with the graphics card in.

Chino
Level 15

Ive used a hdmi cable and ive used the dvi o/p on the card via a dvi to hdmi cable. Why do you think the monitor makes a difference? I didnt find anything in the specs when i bought it that it wouldnt be suitable for certain monitors. Is this a possibility?

Ok, now that you've mentioned the monitor. Im finding out about incompatibility with freesync etc. Dont seem to be many supporting monitors. Now thinking ive bought a dud card.

My current monitor is hdmi 1.3. Dont know if its free sync. Does this mean im going to have to fork out another £300 or so just to find out if this card works?

guzorc wrote:
Ive used a hdmi cable and ive used the dvi o/p on the card via a dvi to hdmi cable. Why do you think the monitor makes a difference? I didnt find anything in the specs when i bought it that it wouldnt be suitable for certain monitors. Is this a possibility?

huh? why do you do that? have you tried using just a regular HDMI cable? your 1080 has HDMI outputs. try to keep the connections as simple as possible, i.e. same to same, to reduce connectivity issues to a minimum.

hiong wrote:
huh? why do you do that? have you tried using just a regular HDMI cable? your 1080 has HDMI outputs. try to keep the connections as simple as possible, i.e. same to same, to reduce connectivity issues to a minimum.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did. I tried to keep things as simple as possible. Then I started to doubt myself. Thats why I tried a different cable.
ASUS have been no help at all. "Change you graphics card" Ok. "Change you mother board" Ok. Still not working "Change your graphics card", are you kidding! I have now bought a new monitor. Nothing.
One thing has changed with new card and mother board. I now get integrated video. So playing around with bios settings to see what happens.

JustinThyme
Level 13
You should be running a monitor with display port capability.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein