cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery media creation on G752VT

Digimutant
Level 7
Hello,

As having this laptop in my possession, I'm not sure how to go about making recovery USBs/DVDs on this thing. I've done it on my other computers but I am reluctant to install any other OS until I find a quick way of making those recovery media. Asus didn't provide recovery media (which is a bit of annoyance) for it, so I am asking here.

It runs Windows 10 Home, but I wish to run a different OS such as Windows 7 Professional 64bit (yes, I know on a fairly recent laptop) and still have recovery data incase I wish to part with it or for troubleshooting. I've seen another thread with the similar model with 8.1, but haven't encountered the restore media creation utility on it. If I have to use Windows 10's, when I never used Windows 10's restore function I don't know the outcome of that (fresh or exactly as it was when I turned it on first time?).

If someone can give me some guidance, I'd be grateful.
12 REPLIES 12

toronto699
Level 13
First of all stick with W10 , the esupport folder on the laptop has all the original drivers and software that came with the laptop. but not the OS {W10} , u may not find W7 drivers for the G752 hardware , if u want the looks and feel of W7 on your G752 use Classic shell found here
http://classicshell.net/
u are asking for major issues if u install W7 on your G752. If u decide to do a fresh install of W10 u will need the original esupport folder to install some software that came with the laptop as some are not downloadable such as Sonic studio u need the original sonic studio to install it or upgrade it
copy the esupport folder if u decide otherwise its 1.6GB

toronto699 wrote:
First of all stick with W10 , the esupport folder on the laptop has all the original drivers and software that came with the laptop. but not the OS {W10} , u may not find W7 drivers for the G752 hardware , if u want the looks and feel of W7 on your G752 use Classic shell found here
http://classicshell.net/
u are asking for major issues if u install W7 on your G752. If u decide to do a fresh install of W10 u will need the original esupport folder to install some software that came with the laptop as some are not downloadable such as Sonic studio u need the original sonic studio to install it or upgrade it
copy the esupport folder if u decide otherwise its 1.6GB

I will back up esupport, but what I am really wanting to do is create the recovery media incase of SSD failure or replacement. I was going to do a fresh Win10 Pro install because of college.

Yes Asus is having us use the windows 10 Image for recovery as mentioned earlier you'll need the esupport folder. Personally I use Macrium Reflect there is a free version and use it to create a Disk Image. I keep these images on at least 2 different local locations. So you can always go back to where you were when you created the Disk/SSD full image. You can also use it to create file and folder back ups. As in your esupport folder as well as any data you have on your OD Drive/SSD. Insure that you create the image of your entire disk/SSD. There are other imaging programs out there some work well other no so much. I trust MR with UEFI systems
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes Asus is having us use the windows 10 Image for recovery as mentioned earlier you'll need the esupport folder. Personally I use Macrium Reflect there is a free version and use it to create a Disk Image. I keep these images on at least 2 different local locations. So you can always go back to where you were when you created the Disk/SSD full image. You can also use it to create file and folder back ups. As in your esupport folder as well as any data you have on your OD Drive/SSD. Insure that you create the image of your entire disk/SSD. There are other imaging programs out there some work well other no so much. I trust MR with UEFI systems

I'll look at MR, and see if I can backup every partition on it.

I looked at Disk Management on the laptop, there is a 499mb partition called Recovery Partition. Can that be used in any way to restore the laptop? Sorry for asking so many questions, I've never had to deal with any machine without a recovery partition/media creation at all because of bundled DVDs and utilities for OEM recovery creation up until recently.

toronto699
Level 13
if non of the original partitions have been removed , F9 will restore laptop to factory restore right out of the box using the Recovery Partitions. This is what I did with my G752. I upgraded the original SSD to a larger size copied {cloned} the original SSD put it in a safe place , hope this is usefull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Sjc-co4Wk

toronto699 wrote:
if non of the original partitions have been removed , F9 will restore laptop to factory restore right out of the box using the Recovery Partitions. This is what I did with my G752. I upgraded the original SSD to a larger size copied {cloned} the original SSD put it in a safe place , hope this is usefull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Sjc-co4Wk

Unfortunately I have no spare SSD to clone it to. Can F9 and partition be transferred onto some media to use on a clean drive?

you don't need a spare SSD, just create the Image on any ext. USB drive and be sure to create the bootable recovery USB.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
you don't need a spare SSD, just create the Image on any ext. USB drive and be sure to create the bootable recovery USB.

I've gone through MR's imaging, and its saved on a 64GB USB drive and now I am unsure whether it will actually do all partitions back onto the drive if needed... I'd have to see for myself in the near future but for now as long as I can get into the USB recovery then I should be okay with installing another OS for the time being (or clean installing Windows 10 Pro). Kind of wished Asus still provided recovery DVDs instead of just relying on Windows 10's recovery tool.

If you imaged the entire SSD it will restore exactly what you imaged, as it was when you created the image.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro