cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7-6700K idling at 4GHz

LordSilver
Level 7
I have set 5% as Minimum Processor State under Power Options of Windows and on BIOS have everything on Auto. I tryed also changing Intel Speedstep and C States to "Enabled" but it made no difference. So why isn't my processor running at 800MHz in idle?
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
Hi LordSilver

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Go into the bios and hit F5 to reset to defaults, enable XMP then F10 and enter.

Boot to windows and check to see the windows power plan is set to balanced.

Is your cpu now idling at 800MHz ?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi LordSilver

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Go into the bios and hit F5 to reset to defaults, enable XMP then F10 and enter.

Boot to windows and check to see the windows power plan is set to balanced.

Is your cpu now idling at 800MHz ?

I did as you said and nothing has changed. Could it be because I flashed the v11.6.0.1126 Intel ME firmware?

EDIT: I put back the 2202 firmware using the USB BIOS Flashback (along with the v11.0 MEI), but it didn't fix the problem. I really have no clue about what it could be.

EDIT2: Ok, this is weird. I have set "Balanced" and "Power set" with the same settings, but if I select "Balanced", my CPU clock gets stuck at @4GHz even if I put 5% as Minimum Processor State.

Chino
Level 15
Clear your CMOS and use the Balanced profile without modifying anything. Open CPU-Z and let your system idle a few. Report back your results.

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS and use the Balanced profile without modifying anything. Open CPU-Z and let your system idle a few. Report back your results.

Didn't need to clear CMOS, the CPU seems to run fine for some moments reaching the minimum clock speed but I think there is probably something in the background which puts load on it (probably Windows Update or something like that).

Btw, is it normal that at every on/off of my system I hear a "click" sound? And that soon after the "Starting Windows" animation my monitor turns black (loses signal) and then it turns on again? It looks like a strange behaviour to me.

Nate152

Nate152 wrote:
You could install real temp 3.70, that will show if something is putting a load on your cpu.

https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/real-temp-3-70

I don't know... "Power saver" plan works, while "Balanced" doesn't. And both are on default settings with 5% as "Minimum processor state".

JustinThyme
Level 13
My bet is its a back ground app that will settle out. If you use the resource hogging Symantec AV you can count on it. Drive indexing hits it for awhile but eventually settles out.
Boot into safe mode and see what you get.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
My bet is its a back ground app that will settle out. If you use the resource hogging Symantec AV you can count on it. Drive indexing hits it for awhile but eventually settles out.
Boot into safe mode and see what you get.

Balanced mode seems to work fine actually, but only for a short period of time soon after boot. Then the CPU goes to full speed.

EDIT: Screenshot added.

Nate152