cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G SYNC. Is it a must for a GTX 1080 STRIX?

guzorc
Level 7
Ok. I have been out of the PC building game for about 5 yrs. Have dived back in and got my self a I7 skylake, Hero viii mother board, 1080 strix card blah blah blah. I've been having trouble with getting a video o/p from the card. I have now found out my card may be incompatible with many monitors. What do I look for? Does it HAVE to be a g-sync monitor or is g-sync just a setting to make things better? I would like a 144hz monitor but finding reasonably priced g-sync enabled ones is proving to be a pain. Any advice or monitor recommendations welcome. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Nate152
Hi guzorc

What is your budget and are you looking for a 1440p (2560 x 1440) 144Hz monitor?

G-sync isn't a necessity unless you want it,

Hi Nate 152
Budget is a good question. Not something i've settled on yet but it would feel painfull if i paid more than £350, especially just to see if my graphics card works (thats from another thread). I initially thought about 4k, but they aint cheap. Have done a liitle reaserarch, so now looking at full HD at 144hz. G synch seems a "Nice to have". Looking at a AOC G2460PG 24", seems to get pretty good reviews.

sectionate
Level 12
guzorc wrote:
Ok. I have been out of the PC building game for about 5 yrs. Have dived back in and got my self a I7 skylake, Hero viii mother board, 1080 strix card blah blah blah. I've been having trouble with getting a video o/p from the card. I have now found out my card may be incompatible with many monitors. What do I look for? Does it HAVE to be a g-sync monitor or is g-sync just a setting to make things better? I would like a 144hz monitor but finding reasonably priced g-sync enabled ones is proving to be a pain. Any advice or monitor recommendations welcome. Thanks

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-monitor-list-120hz-144hz-165hz-200hz-240hz/

You can toggle lightboost feature with 3rd party programs also
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Chino
Level 15

So now i'm worried about this display port issue. Should I be?

Nate152
What issue are you having with displayport?

With a gtx 1070 a 1440p monitor (2k) would be a great choice.

Here is Doom at 2560 x 1440, ultra settings, no AA.

Frames Per Second in the top right corner.

Korth
Level 14
G-Sync is a luxury.
G-Sync is indeed very nice to have if you will actually use it for things like high-fps gaming, the visual effect is very subtle but it's noticeable enough that you'll no longer enjoy gaming on "cheap" monitors which lack it.
G-Sync is very expensive tech bloat (and a needless complex gizmo which can fail) if you won't ever run any software (games) which make use of it.

If you wanna game heavy then you won't regret buying $$$ G-Sync. Otherwise you'll probably be happier with a monitor that comes with larger panel size, larger resolution, or lower cost. I'm still not convinced 120Hz or 144Hz (or more) refresh is really needed, after all the human eye (at least my eye, lol) can only "see" about 30fps and motion displayed at 60fps (= 60Hz) looks smooth and flawless enough. I've also found that larger-sized high-resolution displays with "primitive" V-Sync will still put so many raw moving pixels in your face that you can afford to forego luxuries like G-Sync (or ultra graphic quality settings, 4K oversampling, etc) and still enjoy very immersive gaming environments - your brain (at least my brain, lol) "ignores" all the almost-invisible graphical artifacts while staying focussed on the good stuff. I prefer 28" WHQD 2560x1440 monitors, though I admit I've never gone larger simply because that's the biggest size I can fit on my desk.

There's still tons and tons of uncertified and underspec DisplayPort cables on the market. "Uncertified" meaning they often bear a not-quite-right symbol and are not *properly* certified to meet official specs. I've heard of people getting junk DP cables in the same box as their new GPU cards, though I've never seen it myself. DisplayPort converters (DP-to-HDMI, USB-to-DP, etc) always degrade signal bandwidth, but pin-compatible DisplayPort adapters (like DP-to-miniDP, etc) do not. DisplayPort cables need to have high quality conductors and shielding to carry signal integrity, but many of the longer DP cables sadly just ain't that great. I think this rampant DP psuedo-certification/piracy has been "allowed" to continue for years only because DP isn't (yet) a standard on regulated devices like 4K televisions.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Menthol
Level 14
I like to see peoples views on monitors, everyone has their idea of optimal monitor specs. You have a GTX 1080, I would match it with a good quality monitor, G-Sync is of course a great feature if your main purpose is gaming but defiantly not a requirement. 2560x1440 is such a huge difference in picture quality over 1920x1080, I would say that would be a must have, 27" is a good monitor size, if you go 4K 32" is a better size, remember your monitor usually lasts through several PC builds and upgrades and most people don't spend enough on their monitor and peripherals compared to what they spend on their PC, your components usually go inside a case and forgotten, you interact through the keyboard, mouse and see everything on your monitor, probably the most important component of your system
Your card should be compatible with any monitor as long as you have the correct cable, 2560x1440 and lower resolution, a good quality DVI-D or displyport cable, above that resolution displyport cable is a must

G-sync isn't a must, but it is recommended. It is game changing if you want to prevent screen tearing. I believe you should invest in one because a G-SYNC monitor with a 1080 compliment each other pretty well. A monitor you should look into is either the PG278Q or the PG279Q.