Did you mean: 

delete thread

EightRad
Level 7
delete thread
12 REPLIES 12

dstrakele
Level 14
It sounds like a feedback loop between your built-in speakers and built-in microphone since it does not occur with headphones. Do you have the "Listen to this device" checkbox CHECKED in the "Listen" tab of Microphone Properties for your built-in microphone? If so, UNcheck it.

UNchecked would be the default, so a reinstall should've resolved the issue (if this was what is causing it). http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/985119-solved-screeching-noise-laptop-speakers.html indicates this issue could also be caused by overheating. I recommend downloading HWINFO64 or SpeedFan to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures.

I was sad to hear about your RMA experience with ASUS. Formatting your computer in no way voids the warranty.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

delete thread

EightRad
Level 7
delete thread

dstrakele
Level 14
One would think that, but it's always worthwhile to check temperatures, even if it is only to eliminate heat issues as a probable cause.

Does the screeching noise stop if you turn down the volume? Or does it just lower the volume of screeching?

How do you recover from this issue? Can you simply mute the system, then turn volume back on? Or do you have to shut the system down? If you do need to shut down, can you do so normally, or must you hold down the power button as you would if the system was locked up?

I still am interested in troubleshooting the buitl-in microphone/built-in speaker interaction further. I'd try enabling/disabling "Noise Suppression" and "Acoustic Echo Cancellation" in the "Microphone" tab of Realtek HD Audio Manager. I might even try disabling the built-in microphone to see if it changes behavior.

delete thread

dstrakele
Level 14
Interesting video. On the 2nd page of comments, you'll see:

For all people who have this problem, update your bios via Asus website. They told me to do that and i do not heard that noise anymore. Hope it will stay like that for a long time

trycia5 8 months ago

What BIOS are you currently running on your system?

Have you tried just entering the BIOS and then choosing "Load Optimized Defaults" (F9)?

If you do choose to update your BIOS, be sure to follow the instructions on the bottom of the OP in the "Drivers, Apps, and How-tos" thread. Any problems during BIOS installation may render your system unusable.

delete thread

EightRad wrote:
My Pc seems to be working fine right now after the update, accept now my laptop wont run off the battery, it has to stay plugged in, if I unplug it the machine turns off and will not turn on unless I plug it in. The desktop icon says its charging but stays at 81%. Before I updated the bios my battery worked perfect and I did not have this problem, I'm not sure whats causing it. I tried f9 on the bios, I took the battery out and put it back in.

screeching sound has not been fixed with the bios update.....

I'm not liking the fact your machine won't start with the battery and not charge beyond 81%, even after removing and reseating it. Plus you report you already loaded optimized defaults on your new BIOS. Like JR says, the BIOS flash is either successful and the laptop boots, or it fails and you have a brick, so I don't believe your issue is BIOS-related. It is possible to backrev the BIOS with the EasyFlash utility, but I wouldn't choose that route.

What Errors or Warnings are reported in the System and Application Event Logs?

Does the screeching occur immediately on bootup?

Did you ever install software to monitor temperatures?

delete thread