cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 "Socket 3" speed difference between motherboards?

Benwaki
Level 7
Hi all

Quick question around m.2 usage depending on mobo

I have a Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 = http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-pro-m-2-1tb-mz-v6p1t0b...

Is the m.2 slot on = https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-A-M-2/gallery/

As fast as the one on = https://www.asus.com/nz/Motherboards/Z170-AR/gallery/

Both are listed as "socket 3" and from what I can see around the web that means they can use both PCIe and Sata lanes. But the H110 mobo also has a big Sata 6GB/s written above it - does that mean it can't use the PCIe lanes or is it just ironic placement?

Thanks Asus!
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
h110m-a/m.2
with x4 pci express 2.0 bandwidth, m.2 supports up to 20 gbit/s data-transfer speeds.

z170-ar
with x4 pci express 3.0/2.0 bandwidth, m.2 supports up to 32gbit/s data-transfer speeds.

Chino wrote:
h110m-a/m.2

z170-ar

Thanks, so with the H110m I'll be able to hit around 2500 mb/s vs 3900 on the Z170

Max speed is 3500 read and 2100 write on the m.2 - so in this case if I have the z170 i'd be able to write faster (maybe) but reading, loading etc would be the same - is that right?

Thanks!

JustinThyme
Level 13
What I want to know is how you got your hands on a 1TB 960 pro when the release date is 01/02/2017?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
What I want to know is how you got your hands on a 1TB 960 pro when the release date is 01/02/2017?

lol

Samsung 960 Pro drives have been available through consumer channels since before Oct 2016.
My local NCIX store sells the Samsung 960 PRO PCIe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P1T0BW) for CAD$879.99.

Media samples were distributed to reviewers and technologists in early Q2/2016. I've seen some Enterprise/IT deployments which have already been running these drives for almost half a year.

I'd be very surprised if ASUS hasn't procured any of these drives for QVL/compatibility purposes. And Chino is often aware of any new tech the ASUS ROG team gets to play with.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
lol

Samsung 960 Pro drives have been available through consumer channels since before Oct 2016.
My local NCIX store sells the Samsung 960 PRO PCIe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P1T0BW) for CAD$879.99.

Media samples were distributed to reviewers and technologists in early Q2/2016. I've seen some Enterprise/IT deployments which have already been running these drives for almost half a year.

I'd be very surprised if ASUS hasn't procured any of these drives for QVL/compatibility purposes. And Chino is often aware of any new tech the ASUS ROG team gets to play with.

I'm not so gullible to not know that media samples have been sent out for professional reviewers. Im sure ASUS and every other major manufacturer has received them, same goes for Kaby lake CPUs but there is this little legal thing called a non disclosure agreement where non of them are allowed to sell or otherwise distribute whaqt has not been officially released.

True OEM SM961 has long been out for awhile but its not quite the same, this is the only thing that has seen enterprise deployment. Only the 512GB 960 pro has been officially released for sale and there are none to be had. Ive been waiting more than a month for the two I pre-ordered.

Nowhere in the Anandtech article you linked does it utter a single word or a single link to any consumer channels.

Now go ahead and order one on NCIX and watch what you get.....There are multiple sites that make it look like there are in stock when in fact they are not. They all lead to a back order/preorder

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Menthol
Level 14
The release date changed from the original date so maybe a few got out, maybe they found some bugs and stopped/delayed the release date and the early releases will need a firmware update to function correctly, maybe the orders for the 512GB where so high they delayed the 1 and 2 Gb models until production catches up with demand, we don't know

kkn
Level 14
the samsung 960 drives are out for sale now.