cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JS does not detect Nvidia video card

msang2323
Level 7
I have a ROG G750JS which has a Nvidia GTX 870M card.

All of a sudden my Nvidia Graphics Card is not being detected.
And my fan (video card fan) is running max speed even after reboot and safe mode (no load)

Device Manager is showing yellow "!" for following:......
Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01

Error Code: This device cannot start. (Code 10). An ACPI Power Object failed to transition state

Could this be a motherboard/pci issue as to why its not detecting my Nvidia card?

Note: I read a similar post on here but wasn't solved. Thanks in advance!
23 REPLIES 23

Dreamonic
Level 12
Hey,

Have you simply tried right-clicking it and uninstalling it, then scan hardware devices again?

I actually did see this happen on a G752 recently from a driver change. Do the above, run DDU and install your display drivers again; This isn't just related to Optimus systems.

SIDE NOTE: Have you defaulted settings in the BIOS yet?

Hello

Yep I ran the DDU and uninstalled/reinstalled the Intel display drivers (from Asus's download page).
I have not touched the vbios and my BIOS is up to date.
I've ran Windows Update and all is good...

I also removed/uninstalled the driver for the PCI controller... but upon "scan for changes" it just re-installs the driver and leads to the exclamation point.

When running the install for the NVidia card (from the Asus Drivers page) I still get it was not detected.
"NVIDIA Installer cannot continue - This graphics driver could not compatible graphics hardware...."

Isnt the NVidia card connected to this problematic PCI controller....I hope its not a motherboard issue...

And Im a month past my warranty.

Dreamonic
Level 12
This issue I would place more to do with BIOS related values (even vanilla settings) being written with a percentage of error due to a power related problem. Have you tried defaulting BIOS settings yet? If not, the entire BIOS and ME FW regions require reconstruction and programmed back to the SOIC again. Possibly through recent BIOS updates this happened and you just noticed it? Can you explain further in order of events if possible when you noticed this issue.

Optimus systems use SG modules in the BIOS to control the multiplexer and fuse to activate the dGPU as the iGPU acts a pass-through in this regard. If the dGPU cannot be activated, this error in Device Manager is the result. As I've mentioned before, it's not just related to Optimus configs though. It's not a problem with hardware but firmware corruption due to either board power having affected the values read and written back to their controllers; Last gate state; Power down sequence.

It could be a lengthy process to find out it is a hardware related problem in the end, (I don't see it being that) however, I have seen this myself and I've corrected it with doing what I mentioned earlier to you and since that didn't work for you, programming the BIOS with an SPI programmer or attempting a forced BIOS recovery flash with the Easy Flash Utility "HOME + CTRL" key combo might just do it instead. If that is something you want to try. I'd recommend backing up your personal files FIRST in the event your flash fails and prevents system POST. At that point you'd need to either A) take it to a PC repair shop to get it fixed or B) buy a hardware programmer and do it yourself (involved and risky if first time experience with it). This is all worst case scenarios and I'm letting you know ahead of time that you have options available to you.

Take it for what you will. There is nothing set in stone here and it's purely troubleshooting at this point; Every system is different.

Dreamonic

Much thanks for your detailed reply!
Yep, Im guessing its a hardware issue which is gonna be out of my expertise.
Im going to backup all my files and do a full factory restore to see if it cures my issue.
I will also try defaulting the BIOS first...

It all started a few weeks ago
- First my "Nvidia Control Panel" disappeared. I can click on it but nothing runs in Task Manager.

And then (in Windows Update) I saw an " NVidia update" for a Nvidia 6xx? card.
I have a GTX 870M so I "hid" the update because it wasn't for my card model. I thought this was very odd.. why the hell would it think I have a different card..?

Then a few days ago I noticed that "6xx update" wasn't there anymore after "checking for new updates".and unhiding.... which I guess was good/ok,

I then checked out Device Manager and saw that only the Intel 4600 drivers were displayed under "Display Adapters", which is weird but I was OK with it, but why not finding 870 card?? I slept on it thinking that I could just reinstall the 870 drivers from Asus...

Yesterday I noticed that BOTH fans were running at peak right on startup.... but no high temp issues. Fans ran for over 3 hours at full...
I tried to install the drivers for the 870M (from Asus's website) but the installer complained that it couldn't see the 870 card.

I also tried to reinstall/update the Intel Chipset drivers but I got a install error message saying that "files could not be copied..."

Ive googled the above issues and saw common issues (all ASUS owners) but no solution.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem but with ASUS G750JZ (GTX 880M) instead of the G750JS (GTX 870M).
This problem has occured suddenly some days ago and it is quite persistent.

The problem :
- Both fans (CPU and GPU) are running full speed all the time as soon as the startup (BIOS/UEFI), even at a cold startup, after a complete shutdown during all an night (after a very long time it is possible to have normal startup but it is rare).
- In device manager (Windows 10), we can see a problem on a driver (intel xeon pci express x16 - code 10) and Nvidia graphic card is missing
- sometimes, i got the BSOD "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"
- with a tool like SpeedFan, I got all temperatures OK and only the fan of CPU (5700RPM) as the fan of GPU seems disconnected (Nvidia graphics card is missing)

I bought this laptop 4 years ago (october 2014).

Did you find a solution ?

As I was reading again the above post of Dreamonic, I understood that my issue could come from a corruption of the BIOS :
"It's not a problem with hardware but firmware corruption due to either board power having affected the values read and written back to their controllers".

So I decided to force the update of my BIOS (I have already tried to reset the default settings of the bios without success).
"Force" because I have already the last version "210" for my motherboard "G750JZ" and nowadays ASUS doesn't allow us anymore to update the bios with the same (or older) version.

So the solution is (I have used "Winflash" instead of "EZ Flash Utility HOME + CTRL key combo" because it is very simple but very risky as well !) :
- download "asus winflash" : I found v3.2.5 on internet
- download your last bios on asus website : my file was "G750JZAS.210"
- execute "winflash /nodate" -> You need to add the option "/nodate" to permit the flashing with the same bios version
- replace your actual bios -> winflash will ask your to restart windows
- when windows has restarted : I got back the nvidia graphic card in the device manager (I just needed to update the driver) but the fans were still running at max speed
- then I restarted again : fans went back to normal 🙂
Edit : Everything was back to normal but the Nvidia driver from windows update was not working because it was impossible to start a 3D game. So I have installed the last driver from Nvidia website and then it was working... during 1 hour... then crash then I'm back to the same problem. So this is not the solution yet.

I have read a lot of posts on many forums about this problem of noisy/crazy fans running at max speed with nvidia graphic card disappeared.
This issue seems to be related to the switch functionnality of i7-4700HQ / HD Graphics 4600 / Geforce Nvidia as I have seen very similary posts from owners of G750JS/G750JZ/F550JK/n550JX, all of these posts were without solution.

jnf27170 wrote:
As I was reading again the above post of Dreamonic, I understood that my issue could come from a corruption of the BIOS :
"It's not a problem with hardware but firmware corruption due to either board power having affected the values read and written back to their controllers".

So I decided to force the update of my BIOS (I have already tried to reset the default settings of the bios without success).
"Force" because I have already the last version "210" for my motherboard "G750JZ" and nowadays ASUS doesn't allow us anymore to update the bios with the same (or older) version.

So the solution is (I have used "Winflash" instead of "EZ Flash Utility HOME + CTRL key combo" because it is very simple but very risky as well !) :
- download "asus winflash" : I found v3.2.5 on internet
- download your last bios on asus website : my file was "G750JZAS.210"
- execute "winflash /nodate" -> You need to add the option "/nodate" to permit the flashing with the same bios version
- replace your actual bios -> winflash will ask your to restart windows
- when windows has restarted : I got back the nvidia graphic card in the device manager (I just needed to update the driver) but the fans were still running at max speed
- then I restarted again : fans went back to normal 🙂
Edit : Everything was back to normal but the Nvidia driver from windows update was not working because it was impossible to start a 3D game. So I have installed the last driver from Nvidia website and then it was working... during 1 hour... then crash then I'm back to the same problem. So this is not the solution yet.

I have read a lot of posts on many forums about this problem of noisy/crazy fans running at max speed with nvidia graphic card disappeared.
This issue seems to be related to the switch functionnality of i7-4700HQ / HD Graphics 4600 / Geforce Nvidia as I have seen very similary posts from owners of G750JS/G750JZ/F550JK/n550JX, all of these posts were without solution.

I have the exact problem!

Ordered new MB from china and everything is fine except this.

I followed this and reflashed the bios and still nothing!

Do you have any idea what I could do to fix it?
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

navis995 wrote:
I have the exact problem!

Ordered new MB from china and everything is fine except this.

I followed this and reflashed the bios and still nothing!

Do you have any idea what I could do to fix it?

except i have like this
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Not really sure if this is a good idea and how well it would work on the G750JS, but did you see this sticky thread further below about a similar problem on the G750JZ and think it's worth trying to re-flash the VBIOS?

It's not something we normally ask customers to try, so don't have much idea on my end, but since someone seemed to indicate it helped them just wanted to run it by you.

If you're planning the RMA the unit anyway, is there any reason not to give it a try, or could it make things worse assuming you plan to send it back anyway and pay to get it fixed?
I guess it may depend how valuable the system is to you only running the integrated graphics.

Bricked 880M on Asus Rog G750JZ, please help 😐

Well, reading the sticky thread again, it appears the G750JZ 880M wasn't recognized at all by device manager, so sounds like a slightly different situation than this case which shows an error in device manager.