cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh install of Windows when buying new?

Digimutant
Level 7
Hi,

Do you guys do fresh installs of operating systems regardless of OEM branding and does it affect warranty? I'd just like to know your opinion on fresh installing Windows on a laptop recently bought or the fact that OEM Windows aren't the greatest, as I am discouraged to install a different OS on my G752VT as I have no OEM recovery disc (I do have a backup image but its not totally OEM).
4 REPLIES 4

Korth
Level 14
I purchase my own physical Genuine Microsoft OEM Windows install disc and guard my Windows Product Key jealously. So much easier to install, reinstall, migrate, upgrade, clean, or repair the operating system when you have your own WinOS discs (or, quite often, copies and images of your own WinOS discs). Especially when you need to deploy across many machines (which can all work for month or three from one copy, you just invoice the owner for more cheap Windows Product Keys) or when you get stuck working on sick old machines running on decade-obsolete software, lol.

Basically if you plan to install and reinstall Windows operating systems on many machines for many years then buy yourself a real copy. You can even download (most) WinOS copies free from the Microsoft sites, though you will still need to own Windows Product Keys to properly use them. Yes, "Third-Party" and "Branded" OEM WinOS versions are always inferior - preloaded with "value-added" bundles of trialware and bloatware and junkware, with the core OS files always encrypted or butchered in some way to protect the licensed-OEM from liability caused by software piracy.

A completely fresh and clean full operating system install on a freshly-formatted drive is almost always better than any kind of "in situ" operating system upgrade, repair, or reinstall. Though you'll also need to install all of your hardware-specific drivers manually - and it's best to have them already downloaded and archived before you start so you're not obstructed by can't-boot-or-can't-go-online-without-the-driver-installed problems with your network or drive hardware. You'll also need to have your Windows Product Key and any other product or hardware keys written down, and some of these are hidden or encoded in ways which make them a pain to extract. Yes, you're a legit end-user running a legit copy, but Microsoft's built-in assumption is that nobody would ever circumvent their system unless they're a software pirate.

You may also want to save any of the little things ASUS has preinstalled on your laptop - ROG-themed wallpapers, icons, cursors, sounds - little ASUS hacks in the Registry - any bonus software or configuration tweaks which ASUS included but which aren't readily available from their download sites.

You may want to repartition your drive(s) before installing the operating system. You might lose the contents of your "recovery" partition or any hidden/protected partitions in the process. WinHex can "forensically" detect and read any data hidden anywhere on any drive, CloneZilla can clone and image anything you want to backup or restore.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Getting a factory fresh ROG laptop and doing a clean Windows install is not recommended. Ive seen so many threads where people tell their story about how they did alot of damage trying to install the OS on the laptop. Our laptops have an SSD and a conventional HDD, for some reason this causes many problems for people.

Ive had my G752VY for over 5 months and have had non stop issues with it, both hardware and software. My advice, get rid of ROG Game First. It really causes lag and stuttering for online games. Also disable Sonic Studio, it is the culprit behind the infamous popping sound which almost all ROG laptops have. A BIOS update also makes a noticeable difference.

Armesis wrote:
Getting a factory fresh ROG laptop and doing a clean Windows install is not recommended. Ive seen so many threads where people tell their story about how they did alot of damage trying to install the OS on the laptop. Our laptops have an SSD and a conventional HDD, for some reason this causes many problems for people.

Ive had my G752VY for over 5 months and have had non stop issues with it, both hardware and software. My advice, get rid of ROG Game First. It really causes lag and stuttering for online games. Also disable Sonic Studio, it is the culprit behind the infamous popping sound which almost all ROG laptops have. A BIOS update also makes a noticeable difference.

The popping sound is actually coming from the subwoofer, it seems to turn on hence the pop and pop when it turns off.

My question also leads to if I buy Windows 10 Pro to upgrade to, and refresh my PC, would that roll me back to Home edition or will I still retain Windows 10 Pro as if it was a new installation? My intention is just to have a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro without having to fork out an extra £80, as it's £99 on Windows Store.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I've had this very discussion many times. If it isn't broke, don't mess with it. I've heard all the BS stories of "Oh it improves performance" to which I call BS on. Ive still yet to have anyone accept my challenge of benchmarks for a so called fresh install vs original factory image cleaned up a little. (takes like 5 minutes to uninstall the apps you don't want) If you read the forum you will see literally thousands of threads started by people who ended up with a less than stellar experience after insisting on fixing something that wasn't broken. What I did do was make a clone of my original factory image to new drives in raid 0 and put the original in the box for safe keeping. There is no recovery disk but there is a recovery partition that will put the machine right back to its out of the box condition when implemented.

Anyone who suggest buying your own DVD for installing on multiple machines is less than intellectually superior, by quite a bit. If you do find a need to buy a copy of the OS like installing on a machine it did not come on not only can you download the image for FREE and install it without a license but its much faster and more reliable to use a USB to do the install. DVDs are a thing of the distant past at this point.

If you do as I suggested you will always have your original image. My challenge for so called "clean install" vs my factory image with unwanted fluff removed still stands.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein