cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Alpha with H100i v2 cooling issues

houmi
Level 7
Hi everyone -

I recently posted this on Corsair forums, but figured to post here as well. I have some extra questions related to this board I am adding here as well:

-----
I recently finished setting up a system with this cooler.

- The USB link cable is connected to the usb 2.0 port on motherboard and to the pump
- Pump power cable connected to CPU_FAN pin on mb
- The two power cables from pump connected to the two radiator fans

when I boot to the system the corsair link shows in the h100 section the pump temperature (30c ish), fan rpm set to 0, pump rpm between 1-2k

Is there a reason the fan rpm is set to 0 ?

*I then decided to disconnect the two radiator fans from the pump power cable and connected them to the cpu_fan and cpu_opt pins on mb and connected the pump power cable to w_pump pin instead. (motherboard has all three)

*Upon powering back, I see that fan rpm is still set to 0 in the h100i section of corsair link software.

I decided to then install the Asus utilities and I see that cpu_fan is indeed working (same with bios)*
-----

My Questions are:

- Should I set this cooling pump as it was mentioned in the Corsair Doc (connect two radiator fans to the pump power cable connectors and connect pump power to CPU_FAN) or go the second route where I connect each radiator fans to cpu_fan, cpu_opt and pump power to w_pump ?

- Why the cpu_opt fan not showing in the bios nor asus tools (fan expert) ? I have upgraded to latest bios.

- Is it safe to use Fan Expert tool from Asus in conjunction with the Corsair Link Software ? I read some posts online that the two may interfere with each other.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Houman*
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
If you connect your fans to the H100i V2, you can monitor and control them via Corsair's software. If you connect them to the motherboard fan headers, you can monitor and control them via the BIOS or AI Suite III software.

Is there a method that is better than the other one ?

I have read many threads in this forum / corsair forums and everyone is split.

It seems if I go the route of connecting directly to the pump, I would have to disable Q_FAN tuning from Asus Bios and would have to run the Corsair Link software only instead. But I could continue monitoring the Chassis Fans via the AI Suite.

I basically would like the machine to shutdown in case the pump or one of its fans stop working.

Thanks*

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
It's a matter of preference really. Personally if I had to choose, I'd go the AI Suite III route.

Thanks - I tried both ways and ended up going the Corsair Link Software, the only thing though is that I had to disable Q_FAN CPU, so the cooler runs at full speed and I can now monitor it correctly from the CL Software.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I use the Corsair software for those fans and the fan on my power supply. Mostly to let the fan speeds be controlled by the coolant temp and to have control over the RGB lighting on my H115i.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein