cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus x99-a and Asus GTX1070 NO BOOT from cold start

sickjoy
Level 7
Recently updated my trusty old ATI 7870 to ASUS GTX1070 (DUAL-GTX1070-O8G) and my PC not boot after cold start!
I have to wait 5 minutes, rebooting my pc and than it boots to WIN10 and no any sign of problem!

Here is videos:
1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Prc3ZqhNc - cannot boot in win10
2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHrRnZ6Qd3U successful boot on 4 reset

I have updated all bioses and all drivers. It still can get boot from cold start (pc unplugged from electricity)
Tried this card on 2 others pc with different mobos and all boot well (they are not x99 chipset).

Completely do not know what todo! Please help

My conf:
Asus x99-a
i7 5820k
ASUS GTX1070 (DUAL-GTX1070-O8G)
32Gb
Win10x64
Some platinum chieftech power unit @600Watt
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hi sickjoy

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Another easy thing to try is clearing the cmos.

When you installed windows 10 did you do a windows UEFI install with csm disabled and secure boot set to "Other Os" ?

Give that a try if you haven't and let us know if windows 10 boots for you.

It could possibly be unstable ram is why I mentioned clearing the cmos or resetting the bios to defaults (F5) will do the same.

Nate152 wrote:
It could possibly be unstable ram is why I mentioned clearing the cmos or resetting the bios to defaults (F5) will do the same.

it was the second thing i tried after bios update. First clear cmos, and after unsuccessful boot, load default and load optimized default settings.

Yes i removed ATI drivers completely before i changed GPU. And first boot with new 1070 was unsuccessful.

Today i tried 1070 from other vendor, and problem reproduced as with asus card.
Also tried booting without connection to display (dvi / hdmi detached from card) and get 50% succesefull boot ratio, but still problem remains.

I'll try win10 safemode, but i not believe that problem in windows

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you are getting a screen up thats a plus.
Im putting my $$ on a driver conflict. Did you scrub the ATI drivers? Is there still an ATI folder on you C:\ ? any reference in the registry?

Try running DDU found HERE

Run it in safe mode and clean/restart first on ATI drivers, then Nvidia drivers then do a fresh install of the Nvidia driver, skip the 375.95 (buggy!!) and go back one to 375.70

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Nate152
Thank you

If the problem remains with another gpu that says your Dual 1070 is fine, Does your pc boot if you let the psu switch on after shutting down?

Did you do a windows UEFI install and is "windows boot manager" set as boot option 1?

Try booting with one stick of ram and the ssd with windows installed on it, remove all other drives.

If all was well before upgrading to the Dual 1070 this is a bit puzzling, you don't have to do anything special except uninstall the AMD drivers before installing the 1070.

I might be tempted to do a complete windows reinstall.

Nate152 wrote:
Did you do a windows UEFI install and is "windows boot manager" set as boot option 1?

How can i check this?

Try booting with one stick of ram and the ssd with windows installed on it, remove all other drives.
Nate152 wrote:

If all was well before upgrading to the Dual 1070 this is a bit puzzling, you don't have to do anything special except uninstall the AMD drivers before installing the 1070.

yes, my pc work flawlessly since march on same configuration (incl. win10) with ATI card.

I very very assume that it is some BIOS setting that i must to set correctly. But i try several like PCIe Legacy boot and setting PCIe mode stricly to Gen3 from Auto but it doesn't help. I read about DVI problem, so i tried boot without any monitor cable attached. And still no boot from cold start.

JustinThyme
Level 13
You may have just hurt the feelings of you X99 platfrom by feeding it a dual 1070s instead of quad SLI 1080s. :rolleyes:

I don't think its in your BIOS. American mega trends is not biased one way or the other on graphics.

Reproducing it with 2 different cards only further leads to driver conflicts. I've seen it myself before some time ago when I did the exact thing, change from AMD to Nvidia. I thought everything was gone, I had done an uninstall of the AMD drivers but there were still traces left behind. Nvidia is usually even worse with this. Did you actually run DDU? or just do an uninstall?

Two cards, its not the card. System ran fine with all the other components before, not the rest of the hardware.

If you did run DDU, ran each card one at a time and still get the same results you ma end up having to do a clean install.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I don't think its in your BIOS. American mega trends is not biased one way or the other on graphics.

Can some one please explain - how the hell bad driver will cause my problem? That i can't boot to windows only when my pc was switched off physically from power surge? So if i don't have this 'driver problem' on 3-4 hard reboot. And don't get any driver problem in after i boot?
If it bad driver it bad constantly over any boot, it's the way are drivers work.

sickjoy wrote:
Can some one please explain - how the hell bad driver will cause my problem? That i can't boot to windows only when my pc was switched off physically from power surge? So if i don't have this 'driver problem' on 3-4 hard reboot. And don't get any driver problem in after i boot?
If it bad driver it bad constantly over any boot, it's the way are drivers work.

Are you using the same OS as with the ATI 7870? Or did you do a fresh installation?

Menthol
Level 14
My guess may sound off the wall but get rid of that power supply and get a good brand, Corsaaair, EVGA, Seasonic, 850 watt, 1000 to 1200 watt even better for high end graphics cards pluss X-99 platform.
Chieftec is known as a week power supply and 600 watts is not enough for a X-99 system, especially with high end Graphic's cards, you always want at least 30% more power supply than needed to keep the power supply within specifications