cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant lock-ups, games/windows

tbendubois
Level 7
Hey everyone,
I have built a system with a Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, and I'm having some issues with it.
Setup: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
16g Gskill ram
1tb HD
Intel 3930 processor
GTX 580
Corsair 1200 watt PSU

I'm experiencing intermittent but frequent lock-ups with this system, whether it be in games or in web browsing, or just plain idling. I believe some of the problems stem from the motherboard, and maybe the GPU, and I'm posting here to see whether or not I should send it back and get a fresh one.

The system has not been doing this constantly. I can go a couple days with no issue, then it seems to just start supernovaing inside itself.

The system can lock up in three ways for me. First, in bootup, where the debug LEDs have displayed 62, b2, A2, 26, and then stopped. Upon shutting the power off and turning on again, I have twice now encountered the debug LEDs remaining constant on 00 and not doing anything at all.

Second way, can be either randomly in windows, or upon removal or connection of devices to the GPU. This is why I believe the issue to be partially GPU related.

Third, in a game, with a random lockup (not doing anything out of the ordinary). THe debug LEDs usually show AA in this case, as usual.

So I'm stuck not knowing how to fix this. I believe it is not normal to have to do all this crap with a new system, and frankly I'm getting tired of it. I have a friend who built a system with the same main components and he has had no issues.

If anyone can help me plan out a course of action I would be greatly appreciave to you, and if we can get this fixed without having to RMA any components that would be even more stellar. I hope you can lend a hand.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can shed some light on my issue.
101 REPLIES 101

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Clean the CMOS also try unplugging the power and taking the battery out for 5 minutes, what bios version are you on also and have you set your memory to the right profile?

tbendubois
Level 7
I've cleared the cmos a few times when freezes during boot have occurred and that worked. From what I know I have not updated the BIOS from stock, and the memory I have is 2133, and when I set the clock for the memory to that in the bios it told me that overclocking failed. Am i doing it right? I'm not 100% on what memory profile is

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Have a look at this screen shot from the list select X.M.P which will be a profile for your memory it will set the right voltages/speeds/timings.

tbendubois
Level 7
Thanks, I'll try swapping that setting when I get back to troubleshooting tomorrow. Could the memory issue be the main cause of this?

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Yes incorrect memory settings can lead to instability problems crashes, BSOD all sorts of things best to rule the memory out 1st.

tbendubois
Level 7
OK so, I rebooted after a crash in windows by forcing shutdown, swapped the bios memory, and then started up windows again, was going smoothly, updated graphics drivers to be sure. Popped into a BF3 campaign game, and had a crash. Forced shutdown, started up again, but I got that 00 debug code and nothing happened. then i cleared CMOS and still got that 00 thing. Then i pressed the Q_Reset button and it started up again but froze on the american megatrends screen after the ROG screen. I shut down and booted again, and here I am now.

The Q_Reset cuts power to the CPU right? Could this be a CPU error now? oh lord what have I gotten myself into

I'm going to pop the battery out and go to sleep now, see what develops in the AM

Thomas
Level 10
Hi,

Please update the BIOS to version 1005 from the following link:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Rampage_IV_Extreme/#download

I strongly suggest doing it via EZFLASH found within the BIOS instead of using the Windows based tool (this is reduce the risk of a crash interrupting the update process).

Once you have done that clear the CMOS using the CLRTC jumper, move the plastic thingy from 1-2 to 2-3......then put it back to 1-2.

*Test to see if the crashing problem persists*

If you get crashing still happening then please test setting you're RAM to 1600Mhz or 1333Mhz, to help us determine what component is the culprit.
Thomas Jenner
Asus UK

HiVizMan
Level 40
Flashing to the current BIOS is a very good suggestion.

Where you able to set the XMP profile as yet?

And once you do select the XMP profile please manually set the voltage for the ram as occasionally the voltage is no set by the profile.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hes using the same memory as me there for it does set the right voltage when selecting the XMP profile.

Thomas@Asus I've tried a few times to use EZFLASH all i get its a error saying the bios isn't a AMI bios or along those lines i flash in windows and have no problem.

tbendubois sounds like your cpu mite not be getting the power need which auto vcore should be doing try loading defaults.