cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha USB Ports

EnvyYou
Level 7
Hi All,
I am looking at purchasing the Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha and I wanted to question the available Usb slots.
Currently I own a P9x70 Pro and this comes with 9 USB slots in total on the rear plate. 5 USB 2 and 4 USB 3.

Looking at the Hero Alpha I can see it comes with 6 USB slots total on the back plate. 2 USB 2 and 2 USB 3 and the other two being USB 3.1

I have the following devices in use at any one time not including other devices that may need to be connected and some of these devices like the Logitech headset don’t work when connected to USB 3 slots.

Presonus Audio Box
Phone Cable
Wireless Keyboard
Razer Mouse
Razer Nostromo
Logitech headset.

The manual shows that 4 USB 3 slots and 4 USB 2 slots are available on the mid-board. But how are these accessed?
3 REPLIES 3

hiong
Level 8
the midboard USB ports are typically accessed via USB connectors that link to USB ports on your computer case.

hiong wrote:
the midboard USB ports are typically accessed via USB connectors that link to USB ports on your computer case.

Thanks for your reply hiong, so is there a reason why these high end boards have much less usb ports on the rear than older generation boards ?
The Hero Alpha has two less then the standard Hero.

Thanks
Evan

hiong
Level 8
the Maximus VIII Hero Alpha has WiFi connectors, and onboard graphics connectors on the back plate, which your P9X79 Pro doesn't have, hence some USB ports space have to be sacrificed for these additional functionalities. And the Hero do not have the WiFi connectors, hence have space for more USB ports.