cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VIII Hero can't detect GTX 1080

evidentdoom
Level 7
Hey everyone,

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MxkF4C is my build.

So I am quite new to building Pcs. Order all my components put everything together smoothly(took literally all day) and I reached this problem where it posts, gets to bios and even windows (when i later installed it) but i cannot see my gtx 1080 in my pci 16 slot. I've spent 15 hours or more just looking through many different forum posts going through everything everyone else tried. I am trying to solve it without RMA the motherboard yet. I have two gtx 1080s id like to run in a sli setup but neither card can be detected in the first pci slot.

Both cards turn on (light up but the fan only spins for like 15 seconds) in the first slot. I am running two separate vga cables to my 850watt PSU.
In my 2nd pci slot (pci8) both cards can be detected and ran off of but thats obviously not what im trying to do. But Ive downloaded the drivers while in that slot and hoped after updating bios to the most recent and all my drivers id get it to work on my first pci slot. I've flashed back/reset CMOS while gpu was out/rebooted with hdmi running from gpu after flashing and cmos. I've looked at the pins and from what I can tell all my pins on my cpu look fine. The pci slots themselves look great too. I've got the computer running fine off its intel graphics and thats how Ive been able to see bios/windows10/ update everything so easily.

I'm just lost at what to do. I've already contacted newegg for their RMA process... Any ideas guys?
I was like a kid on christmas when all this came but now my hearts just broken since I can't get this to work.

(EDIT) Also noticed it wont find the 2tb HDD either. Just the ssd and the disk drive.
7 REPLIES 7

hiong
Level 8
it does look very much like the cause is the motherboard itself, hence your next step has to be to RMA the motherboard.

FuryA
Level 8
hi evidentdoom
Have You tried update the new BIOS or try changing another graphic card for troubleshoot?
however, you mentioned already RMA process, hope You can get response soon from Newegg

Chino
Level 15
Remove all your components from the case. Put the motherboard on top of the cardboard box that it came in. Install your CPU, heatsink, one stick of memory and your GPU in the first PCIe x16 slot. Proceed to connect your power cables to the motherboard and CPU. Connect your monitor to your GPU. Push the Start button to power on your system.

1. Do you get any image on the monitor?

2. Does your system halt at a specific QCODE?

3. Look beside the 24 pin power connector. There are 4 QLEDs. Do any of them remain lit?

I hope you did use the top pcie slot ? I have msi gtx 1080 and hero8 alpha, it was 1701 bios and it worked like charm.

hiong wrote:
it does look very much like the cause is the motherboard itself, hence your next step has to be to RMA the motherboard.

I am guessing after everything ive done you're right 😞

FuryA@ASUS wrote:
hi evidentdoom
Have You tried update the new BIOS or try changing another graphic card for troubleshoot?
however, you mentioned already RMA process, hope You can get response soon from Newegg

I have updated to new bios, flashed back to stock reset CMOS upgraded to new bios again and nothing. I also have a second gtx 1080 that i have tried to no avail.
they've already sent me the prepaid shipping label. I just have to send it back in at this point.

Chino wrote:
Remove all your components from the case. Put the motherboard on top of the cardboard box that it came in. Install your CPU, heatsink, one stick of memory and your GPU in the first PCIe x16 slot. Proceed to connect your power cables to the motherboard and CPU. Connect your monitor to your GPU. Push the Start button to power on your system.

1. Do you get any image on the monitor?

2. Does your system halt at a specific QCODE?

3. Look beside the 24 pin power connector. There are 4 QLEDs. Do any of them remain lit?

I am going to try this tomorrow when I get home from work. 6PM EST. I'll report back with what it does.
If it does by chance show visuals, what does that mean for me putting everything together now?
as of this current moment, the VGA LED comes on before the "press del for bios" visuals show up(using intel graphics) otherwise the screen never changes using gpu HDMI cable. As of this moment only code i ever get is 40.

poisas wrote:
I hope you did use the top pcie slot ? I have msi gtx 1080 and hero8 alpha, it was 1701 bios and it worked like charm.

Poisas,
I did use the top PCIE slot (closest to cpu) but never get any visuals then, but the pci 8x slot below that works fine for some reason.

I am sorry for late reply. I work retail and since this is black friday I've worked a 12 hr shift. tomorrow will be a 10. So after that I'll conduct the test that Chino recommended.

evidentdoom wrote:

If it does by chance show visuals, what does that mean for me putting everything together now?

Then it means you probably didn't install the GPU correctly or something was preventing the GPU from being installed properly into the PCIe slot. 😛

Menthol
Level 14
evidentdoom,
Welcome to the forums, first thing you should do when asking for help is list all of your components, easy way is to add them to your PC specs or signature so they apear in every post, this makes answering questions or troubleshooting easier.
1. In your rig builder link you show 2 different sets of system memory, even 2 kits of the exact same memory kits may not play well together, always best to get one kit of the speed and capacity you want.
2. you have listed 3 different pcie adapter cards, sound, wifi, network adapter, where are you installing all these cards, for testing only use one kit of memory and no other pcie cards, or extra USB devices except keyboard and mouse
3. As Chino says-test on box outside of case, I have owned several PC Cases that I had difficulty seating the GPU all the way, usually a minor bending of the pcie plate on the end of the GPU or extra force with care fixed the problem