cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM Thunderbolt Not working

aonavy
Level 7
Anyone get this to work? Ive tried 2 different TB devices and no luck.Drivers and BIOS have all been updated. Even TB devices that need power from TB port are not even turning on. Its a new Device. Ideas?

Bios is set to Unique ID for TB setting
28 REPLIES 28

Bill
Level 7
Hello aonavy
I'll pass your concern to related personnel
I'll get back to you once I have more information.
Thank you

Hi, does this laptop support Thunderbolt 3?

link626
Level 7
yes, it supports thunderbolt 3, but Asus probably has an old ass thunderbolt firmware.

Asus is slow to keep up with Thunderbolt firmware updates.

Next year, when thunderbolt external graphics enclosures come out, The GL502/702VM will probably still be running an old firmware, making a lot of thunderbolt devices fail to work.
I'm guessing Asus will eventually abandon thunderbolt fw updates early on, leading to early obsolescence.

I hate how there is no universal Thunderbolt firmware update, and one must rely on Asus to get updates. If Asus stops updating, so many new thunderbolt devices won't work.

Other computer brands are already on thunderbolt NVM 18. What version is the 702VM running?

With the Asus UX501VW and G501VW, for example, they're both still running version 15, while everyone else has version 18 firmware.

Asus totally abandoned the 501VW, and it's not even a year old.

the thunderbolt on this laptop is type c, 10gbps not 40, in my opinion not very clearly stated on most sites I actually bought the laptop for this function and now I find out it is not 100% thunderbolt and the company I bought it off will not return it.

mconan wrote:
the thunderbolt on this laptop is type c, 10gbps not 40, in my opinion not very clearly stated on most sites I actually bought the laptop for this function and now I find out it is not 100% thunderbolt and the company I bought it off will not return it.

Where did you buy this laptop? According to Asus support, thunderbolt depends on the region where the laptop was bought.

regardless of region, the laptop only ships with a type c , not actually thunderbolt.
"1 x Microphone-in/Headphone-out jack
1 x USB 3.1 TYPE C port(s)
3 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
1 x HDMI
1 x mini Display Port
1X AC adapter plug "

Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with USB Type-C
Onboard Intel® Thunderbolt™ technology gives you single-cable data and signal transmission rates of up to 40Gbits/s. ROG Strix GL702 gives you both Intel Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 Type-C for increased compatibility with your various devices.

*Actual specification may vary according to sku.

type c is max 10gps, this description is very very misleading.

mconan wrote:
regardless of region, the laptop only ships with a type c , not actually thunderbolt.
"1 x Microphone-in/Headphone-out jack
3 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x HDMI
1 x mini Display Port
1X AC adapter plug "

Intel® Thunderbolt 3 with USB Type-C
Onboard Intel® Thunderbolt™ technology gives you single-cable data and signal transmission rates of up to 40Gbits/s. ROG Strix GL702 gives you both Intel Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 Type-C for increased compatibility with your various devices.

*Actual specification may vary according to sku.

type c is max 10gps, this description is very very misleading.

Well, in the product page it says it depends on the SKU, so if you could tell us which SKU your laptop is and in which country you bought it, you could be helping a lot of people that think of buying this laptop (me for example). Plus the US product page says this:

3 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x Thunderbolt port
1 x COMBO audio jack
1 x HDMI
1 x mini Display Port
1X AC adapter plug

I suggest getting on live chat with asus, since the information is not clear, i got mine in the us, but it is the 502vm.

mconan wrote:
I suggest getting on live chat with asus, since the information is not clear, i got mine in the us, but it is the 502vm.

Which store? newegg, amazon, B&H, best buy, are all selling the thunderbolt version of this laptop

If you bought it from a boutique vendor, you probably got an earlier version of the 502vm, which didn't have thunderbolt.

Your bios does not have the thunderbolt option?