cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM-db71...black screen on startup

rogrej914
Level 7
From cold boot or waking from hibernation, my GL702VM is black screening... power button, keyboard, and power led lights up and stays lit... but black screen. No splash screen, nothing. HDD led shows no activity. Pressing the power button powers everything off immediately. Pressing the power button again, and it boots up normally... spalsh screen to windows, all lights normal.

Anyone else seeing this?
20 REPLIES 20

Bill
Level 7
Hello rogrej914
When did you start experiencing this issues?
Do you remember what did you do before this? An update or a application been installed or a settings change?
Thank you

I am experiencing the exact same thing, currently with bios 3.03 (if that matters).
Every other time when I boot the machine the screen is black after displaying the initial ROG logo. Putting the machine in sleep mode and then back usually solves the issue. This has happened a few times when coming back from sleep mode as well but more common when booting.
Has anyone else with the GL702VM 1060 this issue?

antinox wrote:
I am experiencing the exact same thing, currently with bios 3.03 (if that matters).
Every other time when I boot the machine the screen is black after displaying the initial ROG logo. Putting the machine in sleep mode and then back usually solves the issue. This has happened a few times when coming back from sleep mode as well but more common when booting.
Has anyone else with the GL702VM 1060 this issue?

The same as well on GL702VM 1060
Sometimes happens

sammy09
Level 7
rogrej914 wrote:
From cold boot or waking from hibernation, my GL702VM is black screening... power button, keyboard, and power led lights up and stays lit... but black screen. No splash screen, nothing. HDD led shows no activity. Pressing the power button powers everything off immediately. Pressing the power button again, and it boots up normally... spalsh screen to windows, all lights normal.

Anyone else seeing this?

Yes I am seeing this as well.
Is this a sign of malfunction or something?

Any solution to fix this?

sammy09 wrote:
Any solution to fix this?

https://laptopturn.com/asus-gl702vm-wont-turn-on-wont-power-on-no-display-black-screen-problems/

Asus GL702VM won’t boot, no display just black screen - When you plug the AC Adapter into the laptop Charge led lights ON, when you push on the power button Power led lights ON, but your Asus GL702VM won’t boot, there is no display just a black screen.

Possible problem and the fixes steps:

1. Power circuit in wrong state; your laptop has static electric charge made Power Circuit in wrong state. Unplug AC adapter, take out the battery and hold down power button for 30 seconds, the static charge will dissipate. Plug the AC Adapter and turn on your laptop.
2. RAM or hardware failure; your Asus GL702VM powers on, but there is no display just black screen with Power led light ON and cooling fan work. It’s possible one of the memory modules (RAM) failed. In this case you can try cleaning and reseating memory modules to make sure they are making good contact with the slot. If reseating / replacing memory doesn’t help, try removing the hard drive, DVD drive, wireless card, SD card, keyboard, etc… In other words, disassemble the laptop to bare minimum and test again one by one, replace the faulty hardware.
3. Screen faulty or bad video cable connection; laptop turns on, but screen is black, with Power led and Hard Drive led lights ON. Test the laptop with an external monitor connected to the VGA or HDMI port, press the appropriate key to switch to it (Fn key + F4 key in most laptop). If the external monitor works fine. In this case most likely you have a faulty screen or bad video cable connection. Check them and replace the faulty one.
4. Processor failure; your Asus GL702VM turns on, but there is no display, Power led lights ON. Check laptop with an external monitor connected to the VGA or HDMI port. If there is no display on the external monitor, there is chance you have failed Processor, reseat or replace processor and test again.
5. Some electronics components on the motherboard failed; disassemble the laptop and Check electronics components continuity, Voltage and temperature with a Multimeter. Check Laptop Power System, you will need an electronic Schematic Diagram for Laptop Asus GL702VM. The failed electronic component has to be replaced.
6. BIOS failed; if the Power System and electronics components on the motherboard are good, there is chance you have failed BIOS, reprogram or replace the BIOS chip.
7. Graphics Card failure; your Asus GL702VM won’t boot or turn on and restart without display just a black screen. Test the laptop with an external monitor, if there is no display on the external monitor, probably you have failed Graphics Card, try to repair graphic card with heat gun or replace it.
8. Motherboard dead. The motherboard has to be replaced.

had the exact same "problem" since the beginning...
after googling a bit I found that it might have to do with "fast startup". After turning this off, I didn't experience the issue anymore and the system still loads up just as fast (maybe 1s slower since the ROG logo is showing up)...
Seems to be a problem with WIN10 and Hibernate / Fast Startup rather than ASUS

sammy09 wrote:
https://laptopturn.com/asus-gl702vm-wont-turn-on-wont-power-on-no-display-black-screen-problems/

Asus GL702VM won’t boot, no display just black screen - When you plug the AC Adapter into the laptop Charge led lights ON, when you push on the power button Power led lights ON, but your Asus GL702VM won’t boot, there is no display just a black screen.

Possible problem and the fixes steps:

1. Power circuit in wrong state; your laptop has static electric charge made Power Circuit in wrong state. Unplug AC adapter, take out the battery and hold down power button for 30 seconds, the static charge will dissipate. Plug the AC Adapter and turn on your laptop.
2. RAM or hardware failure; your Asus GL702VM powers on, but there is no display just black screen with Power led light ON and cooling fan work. It’s possible one of the memory modules (RAM) failed. In this case you can try cleaning and reseating memory modules to make sure they are making good contact with the slot. If reseating / replacing memory doesn’t help, try removing the hard drive, DVD drive, wireless card, SD card, keyboard, etc… In other words, disassemble the laptop to bare minimum and test again one by one, replace the faulty hardware.
3. Screen faulty or bad video cable connection; laptop turns on, but screen is black, with Power led and Hard Drive led lights ON. Test the laptop with an external monitor connected to the VGA or HDMI port, press the appropriate key to switch to it (Fn key + F4 key in most laptop). If the external monitor works fine. In this case most likely you have a faulty screen or bad video cable connection. Check them and replace the faulty one.
4. Processor failure; your Asus GL702VM turns on, but there is no display, Power led lights ON. Check laptop with an external monitor connected to the VGA or HDMI port. If there is no display on the external monitor, there is chance you have failed Processor, reseat or replace processor and test again.
5. Some electronics components on the motherboard failed; disassemble the laptop and Check electronics components continuity, Voltage and temperature with a Multimeter. Check Laptop Power System, you will need an electronic Schematic Diagram for Laptop Asus GL702VM. The failed electronic component has to be replaced.
6. BIOS failed; if the Power System and electronics components on the motherboard are good, there is chance you have failed BIOS, reprogram or replace the BIOS chip.
7. Graphics Card failure; your Asus GL702VM won’t boot or turn on and restart without display just a black screen. Test the laptop with an external monitor, if there is no display on the external monitor, probably you have failed Graphics Card, try to repair graphic card with heat gun or replace it.
8. Motherboard dead. The motherboard has to be replaced.

I might have misunderstood but if I am correct I think the display turns on normally after restarting via the Power Button once the problem shows up..
Afaik this has nothing to do with any of the things you mentioned

/edit: Also I think that I read somewhere that it might be a problem with the GL702VM only using the NVIDIA card and not the internal graphics card. Windows might try to use the internal one first which probably isn't even connected to the display (since no Optimus for G-SYNC)?... I think something along these lines was written somewhere but idk

Appuru wrote:
had the exact same "problem" since the beginning...
after googling a bit I found that it might have to do with "fast startup". After turning this off, I didn't experience the issue anymore and the system still loads up just as fast (maybe 1s slower since the ROG logo is showing up)...
Seems to be a problem with WIN10 and Hibernate / Fast Startup rather than ASUS

I might have misunderstood but if I am correct I think the display turns on normally after restarting via the Power Button once the problem shows up..
Afaik this has nothing to do with any of the things you mentioned

/edit: Also I think that I read somewhere that it might be a problem with the GL702VM only using the NVIDIA card and not the internal graphics card. Windows might try to use the internal one first which probably isn't even connected to the display (since no Optimus for G-SYNC)?... I think something along these lines was written somewhere but idk

Yes I think you are right. It has been a few days since I turned the fast start up off and I did not experience the black screen issue at all. The laptop still starts up fast (maybe 1s slower). Thank you for sharing this.

I have the same problem on my 4 days old asus gl502vm, the problem appeared after my windows updates. Will try to turn fast boot off as well and see if it helps. Thank you for posting this.*