Page 27 of 108 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by harwin.singh View Post
    What did you use to drill?. And whats the difference before and after Thanks
    I used a dremel to cut the holes.

-Out of the box the CPU and GPU would hit 92 max.
    -With undervolting CPU 76 GPU 80

-Extra holes in bottom plate and without undervolting CPU max. 77 GPU max. 83 (usually CPU 70 GPU 77 average).

So it definately is worth it when you're not scared of cutting holes in it

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by onjax View Post
    Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games
    I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.
    The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.
    Thank you for your help.
    Your guide help me a lot with my GL502VMK.

I used Intel XPU to lower the voltage on the CPU and MSI Afterburner to lower the voltage on the GPU.
    Both ran well, as I have a i7-7700HQ and a GTX 1060.
    The voltage offset on the CPU was -100mV (or -0.100V) and I used your GPU curves with a decrease on high frequencies to meet the stock one.

This brings my question:
    Why did you increase the voltage on the GPU above the stock at high frequencies?
    This can improve performance, but it will result in higher temperatures, and I was afraid to harm the hardware.

I will make a thread on my notebook to help other with the same problem, referring this thread that started it all.
    Cheers!

ROG Enthusiast Array

To those having some doubts about this method, I invite you to watch this video.

He talks about undervolting CPU: why and how to do it, with the software and hacks to bring the temperatures down.
    He advises -0.150V on Skylake - like it is suggested on this thread - and -0.100V on Kaby Lake - like I have tested on my laptop.

I have tested this method on my new GL502VMK, but was not able to perform it on my old N56VZ, due to the CPU being blocked / old (Core i7-3630QM).

ROG Enthusiast Array

Even when undervolting my GL502VS crashes when not using an external Fan (Opolar). Temperatures rise up to 85°C and then I get a "Render device lost" error or the system completely freezes. With external cooling tems stay at ~75°c and no crashes.

However, Asus agreed to replace my unit, so I am hoping it will be fixed in the new model.

New ROGer Array

I modded my bottom plate yesterday. I drilled 8 holes with a 8 mm drill
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14937565474620.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	64372

I undervolt (-0.140 mv) and use Onjax profile 3.
    Before mod the GPU hit 86 degrees in Overwatch.
    After mod it is 70-72 degrees.

This thread is the best!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Smeden View Post
    I modded my bottom plate yesterday. I drilled 8 holes with a 8 mm drill

Name:	14937565474620.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	64372

I undervolt (-0.140 mv) and use Onjax profile 3.
    Before mod the GPU hit 86 degrees in Overwatch.
    After mod it is 70-72 degrees.

This thread is the best!

well, I´ll do it, when warranty expires.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by willygermo View Post
    well, I´ll do it, when warranty expires.
    I guess my warranty expired yesterday

ROG Member Array

Lightbulb Solution..Kinda

Hi guys GL702VM owner here. Ambient room temp is around 27c-32c
    Idle laptop temps around 38c to 45c
    Load temps (max)
    76c GTA V. High,
    70 to 77c just cause 3 ultra
    50 to 60c CS GO
    I also have XTU -0.130mv
    and Msi afterburner with the settings for 1060 profile 3
    Also I would Definitely recommend Installing NoteBook Fan Control -Really helpful
    I don't see any lag or throttling even at max temps
    I removed the dust tapes below it and changed the refresh rate to 60HZ plus air-conditioned room and a cooler Master SF-17 cooler.
    Lastly I placed Foil Tape between the fan and Grills, as the air was not being pushed out completely

here you can see the Gaps

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	64453

this is the tape I used costs around $25

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	64454

after sticking the tape.. the third fan is poorly designed , it uses those inserts to Chanel the air out, does anyone have any idea how to inprove the airflow around it. thanks

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	383.3 KB 
ID:	64455

After Benchmark

Name:	s.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	660.0 KB 
ID:	64456

Name:	ss.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	600.3 KB 
ID:	64457

Current Temps

Name:	ssss.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	660.5 KB 
ID:	64458

ROG Member Array

I can't seem to be able to setup MSI Afterburner

I'm using an Asus ROG Strix GL702VM-DS74-HID1 Titanium Gold 17.3" G-SYNC i7-7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz (FHD/1060 6G/SATA 128G SSD+1T HDD/16GB RAM). I do everything onjax said up until Step 4 but my profiles in MSI Afterburner just stay grey-ed out like this: https://puu.sh/vJIpd/fe8acf4229.png and I can't seem to be able to click any of them. Anyone know what the problem might be? I even tried deleting the other profiles in the MSI Afterburner Profiles folder leaving only the one onjax provided and it still doesn't work. I also tried buying an Opolar cooler but I can't seem to be able to set it up since my laptop screen pushes it off when I lift it up (the vents are on the back of the laptop). There is no way I can force it to stay there and I've tried multiple ways. I was getting 90-91C out of the box playing overwatch on Ultra settings. Since I couldn't use the Opolar and I can't set up MSI Afterburner the way onjax suggested, I tried only disabling the boost on my processor and using a cooling pad. The changes are that now max temp I get is 82C playing Overwatch on Ultra and the performance is the same. I'm getting ~60C temp with twitch.tv open on best quality and surfing through google chrome with multiple tabs open. On Idle(without me doing anything on the laptop) the best it goes down to is ~45C. Aren't these temperatures a bit high, do I have anything to worry about and am I the only one having issues with setting up the MSI Afterburner? Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by Spxz_z; 05-08-2017 at 06:12 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spxz_z View Post
    I'm using an Asus ROG Strix GL702VM-DS74-HID1 Titanium Gold 17.3" G-SYNC i7-7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz (FHD/1060 6G/SATA 128G SSD+1T HDD/16GB RAM). I do everything onjax said up until Step 4 but my profiles in MSI Afterburner just stay grey-ed out like this: https://puu.sh/vJIpd/fe8acf4229.png and I can't seem to be able to click any of them. Anyone know what the problem might be? I even tried deleting the other profiles in the MSI Afterburner Profiles folder leaving only the one onjax provided and it still doesn't work. I also tried buying an Opolar cooler but I can't seem to be able to set it up since my laptop screen pushes it off when I lift it up (the vents are on the back of the laptop). There is no way I can force it to stay there and I've tried multiple ways. I was getting 90-91C out of the box playing overwatch on Ultra settings. Since I couldn't use the Opolar and I can't set up MSI Afterburner the way onjax suggested, I tried only disabling the boost on my processor and using a cooling pad. The changes are that now max temp I get is 82C playing Overwatch on Ultra and the performance is the same. I'm getting ~60C temp with twitch.tv open on best quality and surfing through google chrome with multiple tabs open. On Idle(without me doing anything on the laptop) the best it goes down to is ~45C. Aren't these temperatures a bit high, do I have anything to worry about and am I the only one having issues with setting up the MSI Afterburner? Thanks for the help in advance.
    I have the same model laptop. I believe the issue you're having with the greyed out profiles in afterburner have to do with file permissions on the CFG file. Try giving everyone and system full control on this file.

I also use an Opolar LC06 and a Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim cooling pad with mine. With the Opolar set to auto and the x-slim turned on my system idles at about 36C and I don't really see my temperatures go much passed 70/71C when gaming. I'll turn my Opolar LC06 up to about 8 or 10 before firing a game up. This seems to work quite well.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Page 27 of 108 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 ... LastLast