Page 71 of 109 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast
Results 701 to 710 of 1088
  1. #701
    ROG Enthusiast Array TornaD-oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Unhappy GL702VS + Vacuum Coolers

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalinapcv View Post
    Hi everyone, new here. Guess why? Yep, I bought my GL703VM during December sales. It was a good offer so I didn't even stop to read reviews and here I am. Sadly, I didn't have enough time to try it out before. Although I believe I can return it until Jan 31th (5 more days), your solutions gave me hope. Because, besides from the heating this thing is really good (Am I wrong? Please tell me I am not...). Anyway, I bought the Opolar and I saw a significant drop on temperature, but I am worried about my screen. I have tried different positions for it, but I just cannot seem to reach a 90º position and the extractor is already pushing against it. Have any of you had this problem? I think the design on the GL703VM is slightly different to the GL702VM. Any suggestions? I haven't glued the permanent plastic thing of the opolar yet because I am still struggling over whether to keep the laptop or not. It's my first gamer laptop, and I am expecting it to last for a while, but I don't think I will be able to find another with this specs for the same price...
    GL702VS here. Got a wake up call when I saw 99 C in PUBG. Since you mentioned Opolar, I wanted to share my experience with similar stuff. Bought two of these babies:
    http://s.aliexpress.com/Nja6reiE?fromSns as per recommendation by one of the posters on this topic, attached them, confirmed, that the hot air is going through them. I undervolted CPU + GPU, so by stress-testing the lappy in Intel Extreme Utility + FurMark, without vacuum-coolers I had 96 C tops, thermal throttling, with vacuum-coolers set on max RPM: 96 C tops, thermal throttling. Yep, they make zero difference on my machine. Tried all possible positions with them, still no difference in temps. The vacuum-coolers themselves are horrendous - they make very loud noise, that can be heard even from the other room. To make matters worse, one of them has a high-pitched buzzing. I wasted money on the device that I would not even be able to send back.

    I really love this laptop, so I gave it another chance and tried to run it without back cover. CPU maxed at 85 C, no throttling. Guess I'll try to repaste it and then bite the bullet and drill the holes. Don't believe in Russian ASUS warranty much, so I'd rather take my chances and fix the cooling.
    Last edited by TornaD-oz; 01-28-2018 at 01:10 AM.

  2. #702
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    25

    Quote Originally Posted by Catalinapcv View Post
    Hi everyone, new here. Guess why? Yep, I bought my GL703VM during December sales. It was a good offer so I didn't even stop to read reviews and here I am. Sadly, I didn't have enough time to try it out before. Although I believe I can return it until Jan 31th (5 more days), your solutions gave me hope. Because, besides from the heating this thing is really good (Am I wrong? Please tell me I am not...). Anyway, I bought the Opolar and I saw a significant drop on temperature, but I am worried about my screen. I have tried different positions for it, but I just cannot seem to reach a 90º position and the extractor is already pushing against it. Have any of you had this problem? I think the design on the GL703VM is slightly different to the GL702VM. Any suggestions? I haven't glued the permanent plastic thing of the opolar yet because I am still struggling over whether to keep the laptop or not. It's my first gamer laptop, and I am expecting it to last for a while, but I don't think I will be able to find another with this specs for the same price...
    .
    Hi! I have the GL703VM (Scar edition). It was very hot without undervolting. What helps the cooling? You should always keep the back end of the laptop elevated, otherwise it will overheat. Undervolting CPU _AND_ GPU makes it a different machine. I have -140mv stable undervolt in CPU (7700hq) and I run my GPU (1060 6gb) @1850MHz / 825mV. Normally it would have about 950mV with this MHz, so it's about -125mV underclock. Like this, it can run AIDA64 without throttling (100% CPU + 100% GPU).

    Also, I have found that I can use the laptop completely in clamshell mode and the temperatures are the same, compared to having the lid open. It seems to leave a small gap, even though the lid is down. This is my first gaming laptop and I'm pretty pleased with it. I was prepared to study the underclocking thing and it sure changed everything. I read this thread before buying.

    READ ME NEXT POST! It has the full AIDA64 test.
    Last edited by AAtte; 01-29-2018 at 07:08 PM.

  3. #703
    ROG Junior Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    3rd fan

    Hello everyone..
    Regarding the 3rd fan.. some people say it's wrongly placed and maybe it's the cause of circulating heat..
    I saw the 15 inch model(gl502vm)... temps on were 70s on gpu.. And the gl702Vs which has GTX 1070 and temps is 70s too on gpu..
    I tried notebook fan control.. And turned 3rd fan off.. noticed the temps in overwatch to run in 70s!!!! But the issue the system override the program and the fan worked again and temps went to 86 but ... that was late game..
    Can someone with expertise try and turn off the fan by program or remove it and confirm the temperatures..
    It's impossible my friend with gl502vm with small space hardware to get lower temps on the laptop unless something is wrong..

  4. #704
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    25

    I made a 15min test with the GL703VM Scar edition with AIDA64, which test CPU + GPU + everything else at the same time. I upped the GPU's MHz a bit to 1850mhz, the cpu still has -140mv underclock. This test was made lid down and the sound levels are reasonable, because with the underclocks it doesn't need to cool so much.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Näyttökuva (3).jpg  

    Last edited by AAtte; 01-31-2018 at 08:21 AM.

  5. #705
    ROG Enthusiast Array TornaD-oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Foil tape GL702VS

    GL702VS again. Applied the foil tape mod, started stress test, got BSOD as soon as CPU hit the first throttling at 93 C for some weird reason. Didn't see any improvement with thermals before the lappy crashed (isn't the foil tape used to keep the heat in anyway, when we want to get it all out?..). Removed the foil tape, still got the BSOD. I've decided to stress test it with the windows open since it's -10 C outside, ran stress test for 20 minutes with the same settings, no BSOD, so the settings, voltages and power are surely working and the reason for BSOD is thermals. Got as low as 24 C on GPU with windows open. What weird is that I've never got that BSOD before I tried the foil tape mod, it just throttled and that was it.

    On the other note, just a theory - have any of you guys considered separating CPU heatsink from the GPU heatsink? Cutting the heatsink in half that is? I was just wondering if theoretically it would help anything since the CPU only overheats when the GPU does and it can never reach 90 C on 100% load on its own.

  6. #706
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    Quote Originally Posted by TornaD-oz View Post
    GL702VS again. Applied the foil tape mod, started stress test, got BSOD as soon as CPU hit the first throttling at 93 C for some weird reason. Didn't see any improvement with thermals before the lappy crashed (isn't the foil tape used to keep the heat in anyway, when we want to get it all out?..). Removed the foil tape, still got the BSOD. I've decided to stress test it with the windows open since it's -10 C outside, ran stress test for 20 minutes with the same settings, no BSOD, so the settings, voltages and power are surely working and the reason for BSOD is thermals. Got as low as 24 C on GPU with windows open. What weird is that I've never got that BSOD before I tried the foil tape mod, it just throttled and that was it.

    On the other note, just a theory - have any of you guys considered separating CPU heatsink from the GPU heatsink? Cutting the heatsink in half that is? I was just wondering if theoretically it would help anything since the CPU only overheats when the GPU does and it can never reach 90 C on 100% load on its own.
    No don’t cut that heat sink...there is some kind of liquid coolant in there actually that helps heat transfer.

  7. #707
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    204

    What’s this Foil tape mod you speak of?

    Guys it’s not complicated (don’t mean this in a condescending way) the answers exist.

    My GL70VS runs PUBG for hours on end with a max CPU temp of low 70c’s and a GPU of mid 60c’s. When I first got the laptop in stock form my cpu was hitting 99 and the GPU high 80’s.

    1. Fans need to be boosted through the gaming center. I have mine at 50%. The laptop’s bios is too happy letting the system heat up at default can speeds.

    2. Get a laptop cooler, I bought th Aukey brand from amazon. Slim enough to fit in my backpack and quiet. Yes the laptop will run without one but it’s such a simple addition and honestly I prefer having the whole system a little propped up when gaming, gets me closer to the screen without hunching over.
    *
    3. CPU Undervolting to at least -100mV. If you can get more stable even better.

    3. GPU undervolted with a max of 900mV. ( my curve flatlines at 1860mhz @ 900mv and I achieve the temps mentioned above. ) If your not using a laptop cooler I’d say keep the Undervolting to 800mv around 1750mhz.)

    Lastly, make holes! I used a*Hole Saw drill bit to make round holes over each fan and bought some cheap dust guards on eBay to cover them. Now your CPU/GPU get direct cool air on the head sinks.

    Also don’t worry about repasting, I did it and can confirm th difference is negligible. You might lower by a degree or 2 but it doesn’t have a big enough impact to be worth the trouble of cost.*

  8. #708
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    16

    Quote Originally Posted by FastM View Post
    What’s this Foil tape mod you speak of?

    Guys it’s not complicated (don’t mean this in a condescending way) the answers exist.

    My GL70VS runs PUBG for hours on end with a max CPU temp of low 70c’s and a GPU of mid 60c’s. When I first got the laptop in stock form my cpu was hitting 99 and the GPU high 80’s.

    1. Fans need to be boosted through the gaming center. I have mine at 50%. The laptop’s bios is too happy letting the system heat up at default can speeds.

    2. Get a laptop cooler, I bought th Aukey brand from amazon. Slim enough to fit in my backpack and quiet. Yes the laptop will run without one but it’s such a simple addition and honestly I prefer having the whole system a little propped up when gaming, gets me closer to the screen without hunching over.
    *
    3. CPU Undervolting to at least -100mV. If you can get more stable even better.

    3. GPU undervolted with a max of 900mV. ( my curve flatlines at 1860mhz @ 900mv and I achieve the temps mentioned above. ) If your not using a laptop cooler I’d say keep the Undervolting to 800mv around 1750mhz.)

    Lastly, make holes! I used a*Hole Saw drill bit to make round holes over each fan and bought some cheap dust guards on eBay to cover them. Now your CPU/GPU get direct cool air on the head sinks.

    Also don’t worry about repasting, I did it and can confirm th difference is negligible. You might lower by a degree or 2 but it doesn’t have a big enough impact to be worth the trouble of cost.*
    I don’t know about you but fans are quite loud at 50%. **

  9. #709
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    204

    loud at idle or when the system is under load?

    either way i don’t consider them loud, i always wear open style headphones ( sennheiser game one)*and i don’t notice them. let’s not forget this isn’t a desktop, it’s a thin/light gaming laptop. Want to hear loud? go try a Razer Blade under load.*

    i’ll try running them and default next time i play and report my temps.

    do you run yours at boost at all?*
    Last edited by FastM; 02-02-2018 at 08:37 PM.

  10. #710
    ROG Enthusiast Array TornaD-oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by FastM View Post
    What’s this Foil tape mod you speak of?
    Somewhere in this topic some person suggested that there are gaps between the fans and the heatsink. He proposed to close them with the foil tape, and several people reported that this helped them to drop a couple of degrees. However, someone also stated that this doesn't help with the heat dissipation and the laptop stays hotter for longer (makes sense if you think about it). I tried to apply the foil tape and didn't notice any difference, but got BSOD at first throttle at 93 C. Ordered some speaker grills and a hole saw, going to drill the back cover next.

    Can you please post screenshots of your curves for GPU? There is not much info on the exact curves people use for GL702VS and 1070, that would be extremely helpful.

Page 71 of 109 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •