Page 82 of 111 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 820 of 1110
  1. #811
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    21

    AfterBurner

    Quote Originally Posted by onjax View Post
    Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
    - the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

    To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

    I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

    Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

    The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

    For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

    THE GUIDE - CPU
    Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility
    • Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
    • Apply changes.

    My CPU holds -150mV well.

    Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above
    • On main window click FIVR button
    • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
    • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.


    THE GUIDE - GPU
    1. Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
    2. In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
    3. Close MSI Afterburner
    4. Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
    5. Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
    6. Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
    7. You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
    8. Click apply to test this curve
    9. If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.


    This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

    THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
    Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

    Perform only these steps as Administrator:
    1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
    reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

    In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
    That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.



    In undervolting the GPU i got up to step 6. After extracting the file and copying over to the Profiles folder, I open up Afterburner, but profiles 1 though 5 are still grayed out and unclickable. Any ideas?

  2. #812
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    42
    Posts
    187

    Quote Originally Posted by JArias View Post
    In undervolting the GPU i got up to step 6. After extracting the file and copying over to the Profiles folder, I open up Afterburner, but profiles 1 though 5 are still grayed out and unclickable. Any ideas?
    You'll notice Afterburner is creating a profile file with the exact same name as the downloaded file. Edit the downloaded file and copy the contents into a buffer and then open the profile file created by Afterburner, delete all contents, and paste the contents of downloaded file into it and save.

    Sorry if that sounds convoluted. You may have to edit the security of the file you are pasting into, so you can edit and save it.

    StarJack

  3. #813
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Yokali View Post
    Attachment 72310
    There's where i changed that, I've tried it also with Titanfall 2 and it is really good, just for some moments of stuttering but I think it does worth it
    Ok, thanks for reply

    I'll try both solutions (Adaptive and Optimal) and I'll tell you what happens to my temperatures....


    MAD

  4. #814
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array mmohamed2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    97

    Anyone succeed to undervolt gpu ASUS GL553VD GTX 1050? i got less temps but less performance

    I tried many curves in msi afterburner

    Results:Using Heaven Benchmark 4.0 latest version:

    stock:
    max score 950
    temps: 80

    overclocking gpu:
    max score 1040
    temps: 85

    undervolted:
    max score 920
    temps 77

  5. #815
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Yokali View Post
    Attachment 72310
    There's where i changed that, I've tried it also with Titanfall 2 and it is really good, just for some moments of stuttering but I think it does worth it
    Ehi man,
    bad news for me.

    I tried your solutions (playing "Prey") but I didn't notice significant changes, maybe 2-3 degrees.

    My default settings were (with Turbo Boost active):

    OPTIMAL MODE + XTU -0,095 + Onjax'profile 3 on Afterburner --> Gpu: 86° - Cpu: 85°

    ADAPTIVE MODE + XTU -0,095 + Onjax'profile 3 on Afterburner --> Gpu: 84° - Cpu: 83-84°

    In both cases, my machine looks more like a toaster than a laptop, thermal throttling is always clear playing non-stressful games (FIFA18) too.

    Only effective solution seems to turn off the Turbo Boost but I paid for that and I can't accept a so stupid alternative!

    MAD
    GL702VMK

  6. #816
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    67

    Quote Originally Posted by ( MAD ) View Post
    Ehi man,
    bad news for me.

    I tried your solutions (playing "Prey") but I didn't notice significant changes, maybe 2-3 degrees.

    My default settings were (with Turbo Boost active):

    OPTIMAL MODE + XTU -0,095 + Onjax'profile 3 on Afterburner --> Gpu: 86° - Cpu: 85°

    ADAPTIVE MODE + XTU -0,095 + Onjax'profile 3 on Afterburner --> Gpu: 84° - Cpu: 83-84°

    In both cases, my machine looks more like a toaster than a laptop, thermal throttling is always clear playing non-stressful games (FIFA18) too.

    Only effective solution seems to turn off the Turbo Boost but I paid for that and I can't accept a so stupid alternative!

    MAD
    GL702VMK
    Yes, you paid for it, but disabling turbo doesn't make any difference in games. With turbo on and throttling I actually had worse performance. However, if you want to retain full turbo speed, I suggest repasting with Thermal Grizzly. My local Asus service shop did it on mine for 20 bucks without loosing warranty. After my warranty expires I will do it myself.
    GL702VM

  7. #817
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by pppttl View Post
    Yes, you paid for it, but disabling turbo doesn't make any difference in games. With turbo on and throttling I actually had worse performance. However, if you want to retain full turbo speed, I suggest repasting with Thermal Grizzly. My local Asus service shop did it on mine for 20 bucks without loosing warranty. After my warranty expires I will do it myself.
    You're right, but probably in 2-3 years we'll need more power (cause new games) and Turbo Boost will be decisive.

    I'm dissapointed for this and I accepted with reserve the "alternative metode" (turn off Turbo), because it seems just a temporary solution......

    Repasting, in my case, it'is not possible. I asked for thermal repasting to Asus service shop closest to me but they answered repasting operation is not "safe-warranty". It's all over with.

    ps: I'm just thinking of reselling.....

    MAD

  8. #818
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    67

    Quote Originally Posted by ( MAD ) View Post
    You're right, but probably in 2-3 years we'll need more power (cause new games) and Turbo Boost will be decisive.

    I'm dissapointed for this and I accepted with reserve the "alternative metode" (turn off Turbo), because it seems just a temporary solution......

    Repasting, in my case, it'is not possible. I asked for thermal repasting to Asus service shop closest to me but they answered repasting operation is not "safe-warranty". It's all over with.

    ps: I'm just thinking of reselling.....

    MAD
    I think in 2-3 years the GPU will be the bottleneck, not the extra cpu speed.
    GL702VM

  9. #819
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    21

    Adaptive

    Quote Originally Posted by Yokali View Post
    I've been testing CPU and GPU undervolt and both help well but I wanted lower temps without drill the case so 2 days ago I tried with the adaptative energy mode of the Nvidial control panel wich changes the mode how the graphics cards works, as far as I was able to understand it's something like:
    Adaptive
    If there is some 3d load let's jump to a higher frequency like 800Mhz if that frequency is capable of managing the load (<90%) let's keep that frequency but if it isn't let's look for some higher frequency and so on.

    Optimal performance
    If there's some 3d load let's jump to a realy high frequency like ~1600Mhz and doesn't matter the load isn't too high to avoid stuttering let's keep that high.

    So in comparison with Adaptive you can get 800Mhz (or higher depending on the load) with ~80% usage wich means less current, more efficiency but maybe stuttering. with Optimal performance 1600Mhz <50% usage, more stable frequency means more stable fps but more current consumption meaning more heat

    I hope I'd explained well
    I tried this finally. Both Turbo on and off, NO undervolting. Unfortunately, the difference was minimal. It stayed cooler (-75c) for longer but in the long run, my temps still peaked above 80c. It did shave off a couple degrees so down from the "normal" 85-86c to 82-84c. At this point i'll take what i can get and leave the settings on adaptive but NO significant changes here. Thanks anyways.
    Time to mess with Voltages now. if that doesnt do it, im cutting holes in the bottom case. im over it. The nearest ASUS store to me in like 6 hours away so having them repaste it is out of the question and im nervous about opening it myself.

    On another note, how long is our warranties good for?

  10. #820
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    67

    Quote Originally Posted by JArias View Post

    On another note, how long is our warranties good for?
    Regarding warranty: depends on where you bought, but generally 2 years.
    GL702VM

Page 82 of 111 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •