Page 75 of 111 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by pppttl View Post
    Hi,

Is anyone using thermal grizzly kryonaut here? What improvements did you see?
    I did a repast with kryonaut, honestly were talking maybe 4-5 degrees under load. wasn't a big difference.

If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't, I don't think it was worth the cost/trouble.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by FastM View Post
    I did a repast with kryonaut, honestly were talking maybe 4-5 degrees under load. wasn't a big difference.

If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't, I don't think it was worth the cost/trouble.
    if i get 4-5 c drop it will be great.. so i dont reach the 9xc temp again.. with aida stress test for cpu and gpu a ram cpu will reach to 97 c only 2 cores of them

the others only reach 80 c ... so i guess kryonaut will help me ..

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by amr nasser View Post
    hello guys ,,

i just wanna share my deep digging into gl702vm for two weeks
    first when i bought this model , i was getting temp of 90 c for cpu and 85 c for gpu even with casual gaming and using the cooling pad
    so i found that thread and decided to try some of solutions here with some of other solutions i found too
    you can see my results in the photos i attached :d

i tested some heavy games like the division & bf 1
    for bf 1 , there are some things i want u to notice first before i start with my setup of mods
    first of all , under very heavy load for 5 hours of gaming >> the temp never ever reached 75 c for both cpu & gpu
    the second thing , you can notice that i get +60 fps on ultra with dx12 too
    the most interesting part >> you can notice that the temp can drop to 50 c during cut scenes & rise slow after the cut scenes
    finally , the gpu clock also drops as low as 200 mhz in cut scenes >> which is good :d

now with the mods i made to my system to get those epic results :

1- i didn't make any drilling , didn't remove dust tape or that foil tape trick >> just software mods
    1- i'm using a normal coolling pad
    2- i'm using msi afterburner 3rd profile from op
    3- i'm uv cpu by - 150 mv
    4- i'm using nbfc profile & set fan speed for all fans at 75 %

5- in nvidia cc , i did lot of work :
    A- i disabled g sync
    b- monitor refresh >> fixed
    c- power management mode >> adaptive
    d- made a custom res 1920 x 1080 & refresh rate of 60 mhz " instead of 75 mhz "

6- i power options i choose profile " balanced " & " better performance " from battery icon
    7- this the most part i think that helped ,, i moded my bios & unlocked some hidden menus ,, from there i disabled the turbo boost of cpu and raised the temp from where cpu start to throttle :d

i'll try to post later my hidden bios menu & other benchmarks

conclusion :
    - this laptop now is very satisfying & it's performance is above other models in the market like helios 300 or y720
    in bf 1 i get steady 70 - 80 fps on ultra
    in the division i get steady 45 - 60 fps on ultra
    in watchdogs 2 i get steady 45 - 50 fps on ultra
    - temp is now controlled with some little tricks >> stay under 75 c for heavy loads

hope i helped some of you guys :d

have a nice gaming :d
    please a video tutorial for the spanish and other language please!!!!

New ROGer Array

I wrote a comment explaining that I'll swap the GL703VM for another model (not even specifying brand) and it got deleted soon after it was posted.

Very disappointing attitude - censorship of your customer's opinions. I paid in full for this model and then was very glad to be able to return it and get my money back. It was swapped for an Acer Triton 700 - a much more expensive machine, but one which maintains a stable 80C/75C cpu/gpu during an hour of PUBG @max settings with g-sync active. It doesn't burn my fingers around the keyboard like the ASUS did. It's just a well-built machine. The chassis does not bend like cheap plastic, like the ASUS does. And I have not even done anything to the Triton. No undervolting or disabling of turbo boost, no GPU profiles. It is stable out of the box. If I undervolt and re-paste, it will probably go down another 10-15C.

Overall, I think I won't be buying from ASUS in the future and I wouldn't be able to recommend them to anyone. This comment will get deleted as well, but I will take the chance to recommend Acer. This is my 4th laptop from them, and all of the laptops have been working so far without dying on me and with solid build quality.

Very disappointed as I was really looking forward to enjoying this laptop (gl703). Not only that, but ASUS purposefully hide some specs from their models. They made the base gL703 model good with 120hz and g-sync, but also two other variants which have MUCH worse screens, that are not described ANYWHERE. ASUS just kept that information, hoping you would get the models, which is exactly what I did, expecting a 120hz panel. I got the 60hz at the end, the worst model of all, and that wasn't described in any of the local retailers. ASUS just did not give them this information, so they don't know either.

All of this has led me to believe this brand is no good, so I am just going to cut it here and continue with other brands in mind.

Good luck to anyone who is willing to spend their time and nerves on work, that should have been done by ASUS in the factories before they sold any of these models.

I think I prefer to buy products that are functional out-of-the-box and I believe many people think in the same way and many of these GL models have been rightfully returned for these exact reasons.

Farewell and thanks to the contributors in this thread. Zero appreciation for the censoring moderation team, though. Pathetic attitude towards your customers. This is why I am now your ex-customer and will not be returning in the future.
    Last edited by Broko; 02-21-2018 at 02:47 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Amr Nasser View Post
    Hello Guys ,,

I Just Wanna Share My deep digging into GL702VM for two weeks
    First when i bought this model , i was getting Temp Of 90 C for CPU and 85 C for GPU even with Casual gaming and using the cooling pad
    So i found that thread and decided to try SOME of Solutions here with some of other Solutions i found too
    You can see my results in the photos i attached

I Tested some heavy games like The Division & BF 1
    For BF 1 , there are some things i want u to notice first before i start with my setup of Mods
    First of all , Under Very HEAVY Load for 5 Hours of GAMING >> the TEMP NEVER EVER reached 75 C for BOTH CPU & GPU
    The Second Thing , You Can Notice That I Get +60 FPS On Ultra With DX12 Too
    The Most Interesting Part >> You Can Notice That The Temp Can Drop To 50 C During Cut Scenes & Rise Slow after The Cut Scenes
    Finally , The GPU Clock Also Drops as low as 200 MHZ in Cut Scenes >> Which is GOOD

Now With The Mods I Made to my System To Get THOSE EPIC Results :

1- I DIDN'T MAKE ANY DRILLING , DIDN'T REMOVE DUST TAPE OR THAT FOIL TAPE TRICK >> JUST SOFTWARE MODS
    1- I'm Using A Normal Coolling Pad
    2- I'm Using MSI Afterburner 3rd Profile From OP
    3- I'm UV CPU By - 150 Mv
    4- I'm Using NBFC Profile & Set Fan Speed For All Fans At 75 %

5- In Nvidia CC , I did lot of work :
    a- I disabled G Sync
    b- Monitor Refresh >> Fixed
    c- Power Management Mode >> Adaptive
    d- Made A Custom Res 1920 x 1080 & Refresh Rate Of 60 Mhz " Instead Of 75 Mhz "

6- I Power Options I Choose Profile " Balanced " & " Better Performance " From Battery Icon
    7- This The Most Part I Think That Helped ,, I Moded My Bios & Unlocked Some Hidden Menus ,, from there i Disabled the Turbo Boost Of CPU and Raised The Temp from where CPU Start to Throttle

I'll Try to post later my hidden Bios Menu & other Benchmarks

Conclusion :
    - This Laptop Now is very satisfying & it's Performance is above other models in the Market like Helios 300 Or Y720
    In BF 1 I get Steady 70 - 80 FPS on Ultra
    In The Division I get Steady 45 - 60 FPS on Ultra
    In Watchdogs 2 I get Steady 45 - 50 FPS on Ultra
    - Temp Is Now Controlled With Some Little Tricks >> Stay Under 75 C for Heavy Loads

Hope I Helped Some Of You Guys

Have A Nice Gaming
    How did you manage to hack the bios? I edited the bios also but couldnt flash due to security verification. it basically will not allow me to flash the modified bios.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Broko View Post
    I think I prefer to buy products that are functional out-of-the-box and I believe many people think in the same way and many of these GL models have been rightfully returned for these exact reasons.
    I'm currently debating returning mine too. Trying to figure out if I want to just deal with it or spend a little more money for something stable. The only thing that has me worried is the longevity of the laptop. I have an Asus G74SX which is pretty ancient by today's standards and other than an expectedly dead battery, it still runs like a champ and was built rock solid. I can't say as much for the GL702VS. It's kind of astounding to me that the cooler design made it past engineering teams. That means multiple people looked at it and tested it and gave it the OK to go to market.

I'm fine with having to undervolt or change some settings there and there but for it to be a requirement to attach a huge ugly blower fan on the back or drill holes into the case is an absolutely absurd solution. I honestly think they could just revise the bottom panel and ship it out to affected customers. The fact that Asus has been completely silent for 74 pages makes me nervous.

New ROGer Array

Deciding to keep it or not depends on your budget and needs. And your willingness to void warranty, by the way.

The way to make these ASUS models truly usable is to:

- Undervolt GPU & CPU to stable values
    - Apply liquid metal thermal conductor between chips and heatcaps (this must be done extremely carefully and it is probably worth it to apply extra insulation around the chips)
    - Drill holes under the fans if the model benefits from that
    - Maybe disable Turbo Boost if you are willing to sacrifice performance
    - Use a cooling pad

Overall, this is a lot to do. It would be OK to do for a second-hand machine, but not so much for a new one. One thing that could have saved it would be manual fan control. With the Acer, on GTA5 with everything maxed out, it can reach around 80/80C for the cpu and gpu. If I put the fans on Max mode, it will retain a stable 75C/75C temperature. Applying liquid metal paste seems to shave -20C according to the latest Linus video, it's crazy and maybe worth the risk for some. In theory, this baby can run at 55-60C gpu/cpu during heavy load and very long gaming sessions with demanding titles. But even without doing that, the fan control allows for very OK temperatures during long gaming sessions, given you don't mind the noise.

It's a shame because these ASUS models could have been more.

Oh, and it would be naive to expect a response from ASUS. At best, they will say smth along the lines of "we are investigating this phenomenon". I wish laptop manufacturers focused more on doing things right rather than over-blown looks and nice specs on paper with bad execution.
    Last edited by Broko; 02-22-2018 at 12:19 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Broko View Post

Oh, and it would be naive to expect a response from ASUS. At best, they will say smth along the lines of "we are investigating this phenomenon". I wish laptop manufacturers focused more on doing things right rather than over-blown looks and nice specs on paper with bad execution.
    I have no issues manually controlling my fans, either through ROG Gaming Center or NBFC, unless you mean something different. Even when I undervolt, disable turbo boost, set a custom GPU curve and max the fans I am still up in the higher 80s. I'm considering an Acer Predator 15 with the 1070 as well. It's about the same price as my GL702 but it seems to hold temperatures very well (and has an additional cooler that goes in the ODD bay, not sure how much that helps) and includes more premium features.

I absolutely loved my older Asus gaming laptops, all the way back to the G74. They seemed to have really dropped the ball on this generation, though. I don't mind applying thermal paste but the fact remains that I shouldn't have to on a brand new unit. And I suppose it is naive to expect Asus to want to remedy the issues. I'm not voiding the warranty because something tells me I'll eventually need it with these extreme temperatures.

New ROGer Array

Yes, there are some NFC profiles for GL702, but not for GL703, so I had no way to control the fans manually.

Not only that, but I refuse to use such a dangerous, unstable app. With this app, if you mess up the fans and they stop spinning under load, you can kill your machine. Why would I risk that on a brand new laptop? I wouldn't...

The Acer will also run quite hot with Auto fans under long periods of heavy load. If I play GTA5 fully maxed out with a 116 fps cap and g-sync, the touchpad area will start getting too hot to touch. If I play the game with fans set to "max", the temps reach 75c/75c and stop there. At these temps, the touchpad can be used w/o getting burned and the chassis feels very warm, but not to the point where you are not sure if the laptop will melt or explode. Remember, there is also a battery inside which you don't want to get too hot.

So really, ASUS could have saved the situation had they included a "max" fan speed option for the users. Then you can just use your headphones while the fans go crazy and probably avoid getting burned when you touch the keyboard. My ASUS started burning me even around the Space bar, which is at the bottom, after all.

But really, anyone who wants to truly solve this problem should likely look into liquid metal thermal paste and do a REALLY, REALLY good job of applying it and insulating the section around the chips. If it can shave off -20C on the Triton 700, it will shave off at least half that much on the ASUS and that will be enough to call it usable (combined with a stable gpu/cpu undervolt).
    Last edited by Broko; 02-22-2018 at 10:55 AM.

ROG Member Array

Hello, can someone please give me a link to download the proper ROG Gaming Centre version for my GL702VMK. I did a clean windows install and now I can't find the proper version for my laptop. When I install incorrect versions I don't get the option to control my Fan Boost, which I was previously able to do and I was using it a lot. I tried installing the version for my laptop but I was getting some sort of Error 1001. Thanks in advance for the help.

Page 75 of 111 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 ... LastLast