Page 7 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by l337g0g0 View Post
    1. I wasn't talking heat and it does throttle even without heat... when it runs at 4 cores it's throttling, no heat needed.
    2. your always using more than 2 cores cause your computer is always doing something in the background so your almost always on 4 cores, so this thing runs at 3.1 almost all the time, so your always throttling.
    3. We paid for turbo but it's overheating your unit and throttling, not throttling, throttling, ETC, your going to get stuttering when gaming because of this back and forth.
    And most games are GPU intensive so your CPU ain't the bottle neck unless your boosting it an it over heats and has to throttle back and cause stuttering, so what's the point.

They need to make these cpu's so they don't abruptly throttle back cause when gaming it stutters the game, for normal tasks it doesn't matter.
    They need to fix that and all is well... smooth game play and let the power/fans/throttling take care of the power and heat issues.

1. Throttle-state is skipping ticks due to overheating, no more no less, as defined by Intel
    2. As I can see in games I play (Heroes of the storm, SC2, CSGO etc) CPU almost always stays at 3.3-3.5 GHz, that means, CPU uses a chance to scale up. In others, like GTA5, it stays at 3.1. All cores used, so, in this 'worst case' each core's boost is 500 MHz x 4 cores = 2000 MHz total processing advantage.
    3. Disabling turbo is like a stone-age method to me, since UV is commonly used method, bringing everything - less temp, less fan noise, same (or better in our case) performance.

User's choice

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by onjax View Post
    -150mV is better (less heat)
    Unfortunately, all my attempts failed.
    I tried to UV CPU up to -0.150 and tried to use profile #2 in Afterburner (voltage was about 800-850)
    Everything seemed stable but temperature grown up to ~85 degrees on GPU.

So, i think this solution not fit well for everybody.

ROG Enthusiast Array

1. Throttle-state is skipping ticks due to overheating, no more no less, as defined by Intel
    2. As I can see in games I play (Heroes of the storm, SC2, CSGO etc) CPU almost always stays at 3.3-3.5 GHz, that means, CPU uses a chance to scale up. In others, like GTA5, it stays at 3.1. All cores used, so, in this 'worst case' each core's boost is 500 MHz x 4 cores = 2000 MHz total processing advantage.
    3. Disabling turbo is like a stone-age method to me, since UV is commonly used method, bringing everything - less temp, less fan noise, same (or better in our case) performance.

User's choice
    But when the laptop overheats and drops from 3.5 to 3.1 your game feels that, it causes your game to stutter.
    It probably turns off boost instantaneously then abruptly turns it back on and so on (throttling), all that gaining 2000 mhz and losing it "Abruptly" is nauseating.

Since they don't have the CPU set up to scale up to boost and down slowly so that your game is not impacted, over heating with boost tech is problematic for gamers and needs to be addressed for gaming.

Yes you can "TRY" and get your system set up so it don't over heat at the expense of lower things past the point where capping your CPU at 99% is more beneficial.

You say you lose 2000 MHz, but you lose that when it over heats anyways but when your not in control of the 2000 MHz your sytem will and it's not friendly when it takes those 2000 MHz away from you while gaming...

ROG Member Array

Is there any consequences if i do something wrong? is this safe?
    Also which notebook do you own gl502 or gl702vm?

ROG Member Array

-150mV is better (less heat)
    What's better :

Lock the cpu into 99% or set lower voltage??

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ROG Member Array

I did both, lock cpu 99% and lower voltage. Is it any problem ? Also, I bought it , https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , Is´t posible i´ve less hot, about 5º less. Is it any problem with msi afterburner configuration? the proble with wind extractor is that i can´t fix it very well with open laptop, only fix it well with it close. Sorry, my enslish is bad.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by willygermo View Post
    I did both, lock cpu 99% and lower voltage. Is it any problem ? Also, I bought it , https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , Is´t posible i´ve less hot, about 5º less. Is it any problem with msi afterburner configuration? the proble with wind extractor is that i can´t fix it very well with open laptop, only fix it well with it close. Sorry, my enslish is bad.
    Could you show a picture of your installation with Extractor?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by plumicla View Post
    Could you show a picture of your installation with Extractor?
    at first picture, is the problem, because laptop screen shape. It works better when the laptop screen is close. Yet, the extractor can less 5º temperature. Now, 36º repose, and 74º (max) in games, normally about 70º.

Last edited by willygermo; 01-11-2017 at 05:27 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by willygermo View Post
    at first picture, is the problem, because laptop screen shape. It works better when the laptop screen is close. Yet, the extractor can less 5º temperature. Now, 36º repose, and 74º (max) in games, normally about 70º.

Funny stuff.
    I'd like to buy this one

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by plumicla View Post
    Unfortunately, all my attempts failed.
    I tried to UV CPU up to -0.150 and tried to use profile #2 in Afterburner (voltage was about 800-850)
    Everything seemed stable but temperature grown up to ~85 degrees on GPU.

So, i think this solution not fit well for everybody.
    TO EVERYONE:
    To make everything clear: CPU reports its approximate power usage in Watts. You can check it in AIDA, Throttlestop, IntelXtreme utility etc.
    On default under stress test you'll have ~45-55W, after UV you'll have ~25W-30W. So it's almost HALF if you undervolt by -150mV

The same will happen with GPU, if you enabled UV properly. Why overall temperature doesn't change much? The physical principle, is that by lowering voltage, power consumption and heat generation decreases dramatically.
    But notebook fans are designed to increase it's rotation speeds only if temperature exceeds limits, that's why overall temperature will not drop by 50%, simply because fans aren't screaming anymore.

About SAFETY: You can do UV using Intel's own utility, what's the problem???? CPU does UV by itself, when it decreasing frequency without any utilities.
    All you do by UV is limiting CPU to certain border, which it cannot cross, that's all UV does

Hope, it helps

Page 7 of 111 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast