Page 19 of 111 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I've switched the cooler to the opposite side of the laptop and re-positioned it a few times, but I'm running around 72c now. I've seen as low as 69-70, so it does appear to be working but it's nothing to write home about. I've also noticed that the top of the laptop is much cooler to the touch. I'm thinking that while this is a viable option, do not expect huge 10-15c drops. In conclusion, I went from 78-80 down to around 71-72. If that's an acceptable amount for you then I would say buy one. I will probably keep mine just based on the fact that the laptop feels cooler to the touch and a 6-8c drop is a decent amount. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask. I'm going to try tomorrow from it sitting overnight and see if I can keep the temps down if I keep the laptop cold to begin with.

Update: After running with it on 100% for awhile, I'm now sitting between 66-69c which is a much lower number from 78-80c. The thermals on this laptop are incredibly weird. I'm not sure why they are so errant but if I can keep the temps where I'm at, I'll definitely be happy about it.
    Last edited by Trevor88; 04-08-2017 at 04:41 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array StarJack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor88 View Post
    I've switched the cooler to the opposite side of the laptop and re-positioned it a few times, but I'm running around 72c now. I've seen as low as 69-70, so it does appear to be working but it's nothing to write home about. I've also noticed that the top of the laptop is much cooler to the touch. I'm thinking that while this is a viable option, do not expect huge 10-15c drops. In conclusion, I went from 78-80 down to around 71-72. If that's an acceptable amount for you then I would say buy one. I will probably keep mine just based on the fact that the laptop feels cooler to the touch and a 6-8c drop is a decent amount. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask. I'm going to try tomorrow from it sitting overnight and see if I can keep the temps down if I keep the laptop cold to begin with.

Update: After running with it on 100% for awhile, I'm now sitting between 66-69c which is a much lower number from 78-80c. The thermals on this laptop are incredibly weird. I'm not sure why they are so errant but if I can keep the temps where I'm at, I'll definitely be happy about it.
    Thanks for this, I'll be receiving my GL702VM today or tomorrow and I'll definitely grab an lc06. Are you using any cooling pad in conjunction or just the Opolar? Also, do you have the titanium gold model with kaby lake?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by StarJack View Post
    Thanks for this, I'll be receiving my GL702VM today or tomorrow and I'll definitely grab an lc06. Are you using any cooling pad in conjunction or just the Opolar? Also, do you have the titanium gold model with kaby lake?

Yes I am, I'm using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...+master+x-slim

It's great because it's one big mesh screen. I'm not entirely sure how much it helps but it makes me feel better about it. The cooling pad is fairly quiet and has one large single fan. I'd say that it puts out a decent amount of airflow.

I do not have the titanium gold model with the kaby lake CPU.
    Last edited by Trevor88; 04-09-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Doh!!

ROG Member Array

So after a day of hopping on and off of D3, here is my latest screenshot. Shortly after taking this picture (a few minutes), the temp went down to between 62-63c. I think one of the most important things is placement and angle of the cooler. I have had to adjust it a couple of times, so I would encourage anyone to keep trying by adjusting it. I also would recommend mounting it to the left side of the laptop, it seems to cool much better on that side.

***Also, for anyone noticing the 65fps, I've limited it to that to see if it would help the temps drop. I know the laptop is much more capable than that.***

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170408_191508.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	63805

ROG Member Array

do you put the coler at CPU fan extractor? on the left? I always put it on right (GPU) because it´s hotter than CPU. I´ll try like you...

Now, I´ve 7-8 degrees less with cooler too.

New ROGer Array

I use the Opolar LC05. It keeps the temp at ~75*c when playing watch dogs 2 or gta 5 max settings

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by willygermo View Post
    do you put the coler at CPU fan extractor? on the left? I always put it on right (GPU) because it´s hotter than CPU. I´ll try like you...

Now, I´ve 7-8 degrees less with cooler too.
    If the CPU cooler is on the left side, then yes that's where I put it. I'm not sure why but it seems to work better over there. Did you notice it cools better on the left side as well?

I've undervolted my CPU as per Onjax. I was able to get to -0.130v and it's stable.we Unfortunately, with regards to GPU, when I copy his profile cfg into my Afterburner profiles folder and fire it up each profile says it is empty. Am I missing something simple here?

My profile issue had to do with file permissions on the profile cfg file. So I am now using profile 1 from Onjax in Afterburner. My CPU is undervolted - 0.135 now and seems stable. With these two changes I would see my CPU at 84C and GPU at up to 88C when playing Splinter Cell Blacklist with Ultra details (I know, maybe not the best game to test with but my library is limited). Incorporating the 99% CPU power profile method on top of those changes brought my CPU down to 74C and GPU to 78C with the same game setup. I plan to go even further with a cooling pad and Opolar LC06 extractor. Hopefully I end up with an even more acceptable environment.

ROG Member Array

I turned off intel turbo boost and that fixed my problem. Limited cpu to 99%. Wish there was a bios method for disabling turbo boost.

Page 19 of 111 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast