Page 38 of 111 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 1110
  1. #371
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by MVP7001 View Post
    I'm not 100% sold that drilling holes is the solution. If you look at the ASUS bottom design, those "vents" on the sides are already right next to the fans. On top of that, they are angled as to capture fresh air from the sides. With these "holes" being drilled, you are getting air from the bottom, right where the heat is being generated near the CPU & GPU.

    I would love to read posts about temps with everything stock and those drill holes. I can't imagine they are significant enough to warrant purchasing a bottom and making your own vents.

    I did the test that another user just did with his new holes. Which was tipping the laptop on its top and using a piece of paper to test airflow. Sure enough, I believe those side vents are pulling in plenty of air. You just can't ignore that these laptops were simply equipped with under-powered, too thin of fans, and/or not enough of a copper heat sink.

    With the new bios, I do not need any tweaks or what not. At stock, the laptop no longer throttles. Max temps while gaming are ~88 on the CPU & ~86 on the GPU. As long as they are under 90 degrees, I'm fine. While Idle, both CPU/GPU are ~50 and the fans are OFF. They only seem to kick in around 70 or so. I like that passive cooling so the fans/laptop doesn't collect dust during regular/normal use.

    I will also note that the new bios also fixed the ugly/cheap looking pixelated ASUS logo at start up. It is now a high-res clean logo.

    ASUS GL702VM
    From my findings, having those holes drilled directly under the fan has a significant impact. Right now, since Doom is intense enough to cause temp throttling *even with under-volting the cpu & gpu*, it's my 'go to' for testing. After I drilled the holes, my cpu and gpu hovered steady around ~80c vs the temp cap of 86c, and best of all no throttling. This is with cpu turbo on. However, when combined with my cooling pad is when it really gets good. The cooling pad's fresh air from its base is being blown into the holes, adding positive pressure, as the cooling pad fans sit *directly* under the drilled out holes (at least on the model I'm using: http://a.co/7DPANt9) and bring my temps down another 11c to 69c and holds steady. Before drilling, the same cooling pad only brought down my temps about 4-5c. It effectively doubled the cooling pads efficiency. But again, even without the cooling pad, it made the difference between temp throttling and not throttling with a healthy amount of room for hotter ambient temperatures so in my opinion, it's a must.

    I know not everyone's results will be the same (that silicon lottery) but drilling holes was by far the most dramatic change to my temperatures and I can't see how it would ever prove ineffective for someone else, it can only make it better. I can totally understand not wanting to mod your laptop in such a way but I wasn't lucky enough with my silicon lottery to be OK without it even with all of Onjax's fixes. I truly believe had Asus modeled the bottom of their cases like the Dell's Alienware r3 laptops with venting across the entire bottom half:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alienware-15-R3-50_w_600.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	65045

    This thread probably wouldn't be a fraction as big.
    Last edited by Kvwilliams; 06-01-2017 at 11:59 AM.

  2. #372
    ROG Member Array Szlain PC Specs
    Szlain PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)GL702VM (and a dead G73JH)
    MotherboardASUS Z87-k
    ProcessorIntel i7 4770k + Intel i7 6700HQ
    Memory (part number)16GB Geil DDR3 + 32GB Corsair DDR4
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte G1 1070
    Graphics Card #2Nvidia GTX 1060
    Sound CardASUS Xonar DG
    MonitorAOC G2460 144hz + DELL WFP 2407
    CPU CoolerCorsair H55
    CaseFractal Define r4
    Power SupplyCorsair CS750M
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Tournament + Roccat RYOS MK Pro
    Mouse Logitech G700 + Zowie ZA13
    Headset Superlux hd365
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus Control
    Headset/Speakers Logitech z550

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    11

    Quote Originally Posted by Kvwilliams View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alienware-15-R3-50_w_600.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	65045
    I'd definitely cut a big rectangle out of the bottom of my laptop if i could find a vent like that to stick on the bottom

  3. #373
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    67

    Quote Originally Posted by MVP7001 View Post
    I will also note that the new bios also fixed the ugly/cheap looking pixelated ASUS logo at start up. It is now a high-res clean logo.

    ASUS GL702VM
    On the old bios the ugly logo only came up when you were not booting in uefi mode. To me, there is no change, the logo (in UEFI) stayed the same

  4. #374
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by pppttl View Post
    On the old bios the ugly logo only came up when you were not booting in uefi mode. To me, there is no change, the logo (in UEFI) stayed the same
    I am in UEFI mode. I always disable CSM in the bios when using Windows 10. My previous bios was v303. Not sure if I had the keyboard fix version or not. No clue what that keyboard issue was even about. All I know is the logo was crap before, it is not now.

    Also, when you aren't in UEFI mode, you wouldn't get the manufacturer's logo anyway, you'd get the Windows 10 logo.
    Last edited by MVP7001; 06-01-2017 at 11:33 AM.

  5. #375
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    67

    Quote Originally Posted by MVP7001 View Post
    I am in UEFI mode. I always disable CSM in the bios when using Windows 10. My previous bios was v303. Not sure if I had the keyboard fix version or not. No clue what that keyboard issue was even about. All I know is the logo was crap before, it is not now.

    Also, when you aren't in UEFI mode, you wouldn't get the manufacturer's logo anyway, you'd get the Windows 10 logo.
    Indeed, when i wasn't in UEFI I only saw the logo for 1-2 second
    Last edited by pppttl; 06-01-2017 at 03:46 PM.

  6. #376
    ROG Member Array TimS85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    14

    Quote Originally Posted by Szlain View Post
    I'd definitely cut a big rectangle out of the bottom of my laptop if i could find a vent like that to stick on the bottom
    Lol that would be awesome

    Have you seen the new Asus Zephyrus laptop ?!!! What a beauty but double the costs of our GL702

    Last edited by TimS85; 06-02-2017 at 05:40 PM.

  7. #377
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by TimS85 View Post
    Lol that would be awesome

    Have you seen the new Asus Zephyrus laptop ?!!! What a beauty but double the costs of our GL702
    That laptop is sweet. Love the expanding hinge when opening the laptop. Way too rich for my blood though. This lowly GL702 was already a pretty hard cost to justify with the misses, lol!

    Btw, venting across the entire bottom of the laptop isn't unique to Dell's Alienware. A lot of gaming laptops do that. In fact, I would say it's strange that Asus chose to put such *limited venting* on the bottom, especially given how thin it is with the hardware it's packing - it needs all the help it can get. For example, check out the bottom of the Acer Predator Helios 300 Laptop which is of similar price point of the GL702 or GL502:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	600.7 KB 
ID:	65072
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back-fans.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	544.3 KB 
ID:	65073

  8. #378
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    23

    Quote Originally Posted by Kvwilliams View Post
    That laptop is sweet. Love the expanding hinge when opening the laptop. Way too rich for my blood though. This lowly GL702 was already a pretty hard cost to justify with the misses, lol!

    Btw, venting across the entire bottom of the laptop isn't unique to Dell's Alienware. A lot of gaming laptops do that. In fact, I would say it's strange that Asus chose to put such *limited venting* on the bottom, especially given how thin it is with the hardware it's packing - it needs all the help it can get. For example, check out the bottom of the Acer Predator Helios 300 Laptop which is of similar price point of the GL702 or GL502:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	600.7 KB 
ID:	65072
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back-fans.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	544.3 KB 
ID:	65073
    it is a question that Asus would never explain. Good thing it is only the bottom case problem to deal with, so I'm very happy with that laptop.

  9. #379
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    23

    I bought a cover (gl702vm) yesterday. I want hole it. Any link (video tutorial) to do it? I´ve never used dremel.

  10. #380
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    23

    Would not be better holes like the last pictures? (like Acer Predator Helios 300 for example). Maybe works better. More holes, less hot?

Page 38 of 111 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •