Page 42 of 109 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Juankal View Post
    Thank you very much for the guide, I followed it and I noticed a change in the sound of the fans and the temperature, which program recommend to monitor the temperatures of the cpu and gpu?
    I use AIDA64 Extreme. To monitor temps within games, you will also need RivaTuner Statistcs Server.

In Aida, go to preferences and under "Hardware Monitoring" select "External Applications" and check the box to "Enable writing sensor values to RivaTuner OSD Server".

No special instructions for RivaTuner. Just install it and run.

Aida64 Extreme is a paid program. They might have a trial or standard version. Not sure. But Aida64 + RivaTuner is what I use within games. With Aida, you can even set system tray icons or even an OSD on the desktop to show temps or what ever else you might want to monitor. Lots of options.
    Last edited by MVP7001; 06-08-2017 at 01:05 AM.

My undervolt expiriance

Hello, i want to say thanks to all people in this tread and specially onjax .
    I buy GL502VM / GTX 1060 6GB / i7-7700HQ and be very happy, until install fallout 4, on load my notebook heating up to 94°-95° C on CPU and GPU, it be a huge problem.
    I find this thread and it help me reduce heat to more comfort 81° C in fallout 4.

I do only software tweaks (i don`t want lost warranty), it be interesting experience with undervolting.
    I compose my experiment to table.

As main test i use fallout 4 - all settings to ultimate and stand on diamond city 15-20 min.
    other tests use to, but fallout give maximum temperature

1 - undervolt CPU, i can get stable work up to -180mV it give -11° C on cpu.
    2 - Set Turbo boost Max 40W (default 45) and Set short power Max 45W (default 60) it give nothing.
    3 - Apply Afterburner Profile 1 - it give GPU Freq. to 1810MHz on 831mV (default 1620MHz) and temperature stay same.
    4 - Disable turbo boost (set 99% CPU load in power management settings): after this CPU with -180mV start faling, up voltage to -150mV, it give -17° C on CPU.

Before tuning: GPU - 86° C CPU - 94° C
    After tuning: GPU - 83° C CPU - 77° C

On less heavy games temp more comfort, DeusEx HR (6 hours) 60° C.

On performance side i lost 140 points on Cinebench but on games FPS it mach same.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Table.jpg  

Last edited by McPcholkin; 06-09-2017 at 08:00 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by McPcholkin View Post
    Hello, i want to say thanks to all people in this tread and specially onjax .
    I buy GL502VM / GTX 1060 6GB / i7-7700HQ and be very happy, until install fallout 4, on load my notebook heating up to 94°-95° C on CPU and GPU, it be a huge problem.
    I find this thread and it help me reduce heat to more comfort 81° C in fallout 4.

I do only software tweaks (i don`t want lost warranty), it be interesting experience with undervolting.
    I compose my experiment to table.

As main test i use fallout 4 - all settings to ultimate and stand on diamond city 15-20 min.
    other tests use to, but fallout give maximum temperature

1 - undervolt CPU, i can get stable work up to -180mV it give -11° C on cpu.
    2 - Set Turbo boost Max 40W (default 45) and Set short power Max 45W (default 60) it give nothing.
    3 - Apply Afterburner Profile 1 - it give GPU Freq. to 1810MHz on 831mV (default 1620MHz) and temperature stay same.
    4 - Disable turbo boost (set 99% CPU load in power management settings): after this CPU with -180mV start faling, up voltage to -150mV, it give -17° C on CPU.

Before tuning: GPU - 86° C CPU - 94° C
    After tuning: GPU - 83° C CPU - 77° C

On less heavy games temp more comfort, DeusEx HR (6 hour) 60° C.

On performance side i lost 140 points on Cinebench but on games FPS it mach same.

Great job! It's interesting to see your cpu to withstand -180mV, mine crashes sometimes at -140 mV. I use it currently at -130 mV, though i have the 6700hq variant.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I also did some research to find out my system's sweet spot with watch dogs2, and I came to similar results, too.

ROG Enthusiast Array

A while back, someone commented on this thread to use ThrottleStop over Intel's XTU app to undervolt your CPU. I asked why but never received and answer. Well lately, I've come to learn that my undervolt *isn't* always being applied! It doesn't always re-apply itself when then laptop returns from sleep, or sometimes even after being powered on. Maybe that's why? A little bit of google searching and others have complained about the same. Well it turns out one person made a fix for exactly that if anyone cares:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...ing-it.802143/

Of course, you can always just use ThrottleStop though it may have it's own issues - I have no experience with it so I have no idea.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kvwilliams View Post
    A while back, someone commented on this thread to use ThrottleStop over Intel's XTU app to undervolt your CPU. I asked why but never received and answer. Well lately, I've come to learn that my undervolt *isn't* always being applied! It doesn't always re-apply itself when then laptop returns from sleep, or sometimes even after being powered on. Maybe that's why? A little bit of google searching and others have complained about the same. Well it turns out one person made a fix for exactly that if anyone cares:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...ing-it.802143/

Of course, you can always just use ThrottleStop though it may have it's own issues - I have no experience with it so I have no idea.
    If you save your settings to a profile, it should reapply itself autmatically - it works for me.
    Last edited by pppttl; 06-09-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kvwilliams View Post
    I've come to learn that my undervolt *isn't* always being applied! It doesn't always re-apply itself when then laptop returns from sleep, or sometimes even after being powered on
    I have this problem too, just save all my preference in preset "Stay_Cool" and create profile to auto apply preset when run specific app (Steam, Fallout4.exe, etc..)

If you have drilled holes for the fans put something under the laptop (backside) like 1 inch high and the temperatures will drop another 3 degrees, the airflow to intake will be better.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by TimS85 View Post
    If you have drilled holes for the fans put something under the laptop (backside) like 1 inch high and the temperatures will drop another 3 degrees, the airflow to intake will be better.
    I added dense foam pads under my laptop's rear to help with air flow. Not quite an inch but about twice as high as the stock non-slip risers. It didn't really seem to effect the temperatures when it's on a cooling pad but it made a few degree difference while just sitting on a table. I also prefer an angled typing experience. I also added some non-slip pads to the bottom after having a near mishap of the laptop slipping off my lap on certain seats that are higher which angle my thighs slightly downwards, *cough* porcelain throne *cough*. I love this laptop but unlike that Alienware I had for a short week, I highly doubt this thing could even take the tiniest of falls.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170610_162240.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	791.4 KB 
ID:	65261
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170610_161907.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	65262

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hello,

Can you tell me please how many voltage do you drop for Kaby Lake model?

In addition, I will do that first time, when it is done, it is set although we restart? Or the voltage and profiles will be reset everytime.

BR,

PredatoR
    Last edited by PredatoR_TR; 06-12-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Page 42 of 109 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 92 ... LastLast