OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
    OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
    Registered Owner: N/A
    Registered Organization: N/A
    Product ID: 06348-86247-97231-AAOEM
    Original Install Date: 3/4/2017, 8:19:13 PM
    System Boot Time: 5/27/2017, 10:01:13 AM
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Model: GL702VM
    System Type: x64-based PC
    Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
    [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2592 Mhz
    BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. GL702VM.305, 4/28/2017

Carefull with the ID´s guys. You are posting your Serials....

At first glance I guess this new BIOS improved how the system deals with Turbo Boost. So at first glance the Throttling is now controlled. But the temperatures keep for gaming at ULTRA in BF1 keep lingering between 87-90. with cooling pad, MSI profile 3, XTU -0.150mV and Fan Controlling at MAX.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kompensan View Post
    Carefull with the ID´s guys. You are posting your Serials....

At first glance I guess this new BIOS improved how the system deals with Turbo Boost. So at first glance the Throttling is now controlled. But the temperatures keep for gaming at ULTRA in BF1 keep lingering between 87-90. with cooling pad, MSI profile 3, XTU -0.150mV and Fan Controlling at MAX.
    Do you have the gl702vm or vmk? And if you have the vm version, how do you set the fan speed?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by pppttl View Post
    Do you have the gl702vm or vmk? And if you have the vm version, how do you set the fan speed?

I have the VM version. With the software and profile already posted here - Notebook Fan Control.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kvwilliams View Post
    Since my laptop is a relatively new purchase (decently discounted from to make way for the Kaby lake refresh), I took some of that money I saved and bought a bottom case for this laptop at the same time. I bought it from this guy though 2 days after I bought it, he relisted another one, then put it on sale for $75 over the weekend. http://www.ebay.com/itm/172659696365...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I asked him if he'd price match it since it was so close from which I bought it but no go... kinda was a dick about too, jeez. Anyway, the idea is, if by chance I ever have to send it in for warranty work, I can put back on the original bottom since I plan to drill some venting holes on the ebay one.
    Following up my previous post. I finally got around to drilling in to the replacement bottom I purchased for this laptop. I'm not the most crafty person, lol, so following Smeden lead, I went with the circular pattern of holes method. Seems simple enough, for even me. Using the method meddylad mentioned, i put sticky pads down on top of the fan and pressed down on the case to make it stick to the back of the case as a template:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04671.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	507.8 KB 
ID:	64943

What it looks like from the outside. You'll need to use a razor blade to clean off the flashing made from the drilling:

Name:	DSC04672.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	736.7 KB 
ID:	64944

Since I have the laptop open, I might as well add the tape mod:

Name:	DSC04674.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	658.4 KB 
ID:	64946

Need something to protect the holes from debri being picked up and had some replacement nylon screen door fabric laying around:

Name:	DSC04673.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	704.7 KB 
ID:	64945

Probably my second time using a hot glue gun in my life... messy but quite effective, lol. Looked up the melting temperature of hot glue and it's 120c. Shouldn't be an issue:

Name:	DSC04675.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	480.1 KB 
ID:	64947

What it looks like from the outside:

Name:	DSC04678.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	707.1 KB 
ID:	64948

With the newly modified replacement bottom case attached on to the laptop. Not sure how I missed the GPU side so badly. THIS is why I don't do crafty stuff.

Name:	DSC04680-81-combined.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	721.1 KB 
ID:	64949

As expected, out of all the mods (-0.150mv cpu undervolt, GPU undervolt using Onjax profile 1, using Notebook FanControl), this had the greatest impact on heat. For example, even with those previous mods, I would eventually get temp throttling in Doom (ultra/nightmare settings) but not anymore. Both the CPU and GPU do not exceed the low to mid 70s at peaks and on avg, hovers around the high 60s. This is on a cooling pad of course - CPU turbo *not* disabled. Fans don't spin up as loud either making the laptop overall quieter under load - a nice bonus. I'm happy with the result. Really, all Asus needed to do was add better venting on the bottom case and probably wouldn't even have half the complaints/poor user-reviews that it received. It blows my mind they didn't make that adjustment with the kaby-lake refresh of these laptops... but whatever, I'm sure they had their reasons.

On an unrelated note. I have overclocked my display's refresh rate and it's pure awesomeness. Turns out, if you look up the specs on our screens (LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF3), it's actually only 60hz but Asus overclocks it to 75hz for these laptops. Through my digging around on the interwebs, a few people have gotten it to 103hz. I found it peculiar that they got to such a specific number consistently so I went ahead and tried it. Sure enough, 103hz is my stopping point as well - anything beyond that and the screen goes black, forcing me to reboot my laptop:

Name:	20170524_194750.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	548.0 KB 
ID:	64951

So I just backed it off a little and now just leave it at a nice even 100hz. If you want to do it too, just follow this guy's steps. It's rediculously easy (ignore the part at 3:11... it's grayed out for us but wasn't necessary. The change in Nvidia's control panel was all that was needed): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni82DDlmysk

Now with the overheating issues behind me and with a beautiful 100hz g-sync'd IPS display. I'm very much enjoying this gaming laptop.
    Last edited by Kvwilliams; 05-28-2017 at 12:32 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bran187 View Post
    Alright. I'm all in on team Opolar. lol

My Opolar just arrived today and here are my results after a quick Aida64 test. Had Aida stressing both the CPU and GPU for 10 minutes.

I have mine on a cooling pad, with the CPU undervolted, and set to a 99% power plan. Laptop fan speed set to auto in both tests. Also laptop is closed because I use an external monitor when I'm at home, and the Opolar is mounted on the right side (in relation to the laptop facing you as normal).

Without Opolar:
    Fans ramped up to 4300 RPM.

Attachment 64828

With Opolar:
    Fan ramped up to 3100 RPM.

Attachment 64829

Conclusion:

I'm sold.

8c cooler on the CPU.
    6c cooler on the GPU.
    Fans running at 1200RPM lower.

Definitely ordering a second one next payday. XD

Glad it worked for you

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by StarJack View Post
    ROG Gaming Center works excellent with my GL702VM. The percentile of increased fan speed controls RPMs perfectly. I have the 2017 kaby lake refresh and I honestly do not see alot of the weird issues other GL702VM owners seem to have. Maybe the 2017 refresh addressed some problems, I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Most of the 2016 models got recalled here in our city. But most of the VMK refresh doesnt have the issue..I own a GL702VMK and i didnt experience any fps drop althought the heat reaches 97 and throttles. Nonetheless its fine so i just made a setup with 2 vacuum coolers and SF-17 cooling pad and everything works magic..80 degrees tops at 32 degrees ambient temp and with AC on it never reaches 80 playing games like MAss effect andromeda at ultra.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Spxz_z View Post
    I'm using an Asus ROG Strix GL702VM-DS74-HID1 Titanium Gold 17.3" G-SYNC i7-7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz (FHD/1060 6G/SATA 128G SSD+1T HDD/16GB RAM). I do everything onjax said up until Step 4 but my profiles in MSI Afterburner just stay grey-ed out like this: https://puu.sh/vJIpd/fe8acf4229.png and I can't seem to be able to click any of them. Anyone know what the problem might be? I even tried deleting the other profiles in the MSI Afterburner Profiles folder leaving only the one onjax provided and it still doesn't work. I also tried buying an Opolar cooler but I can't seem to be able to set it up since my laptop screen pushes it off when I lift it up (the vents are on the back of the laptop). There is no way I can force it to stay there and I've tried multiple ways. I was getting 90-91C out of the box playing overwatch on Ultra settings. Since I couldn't use the Opolar and I can't set up MSI Afterburner the way onjax suggested, I tried only disabling the boost on my processor and using a cooling pad. The changes are that now max temp I get is 82C playing Overwatch on Ultra and the performance is the same. I'm getting ~60C temp with twitch.tv open on best quality and surfing through google chrome with multiple tabs open. On Idle(without me doing anything on the laptop) the best it goes down to is ~45C. Aren't these temperatures a bit high, do I have anything to worry about and am I the only one having issues with setting up the MSI Afterburner? Thanks for the help in advance.
    Have you found a solution for this? I'am experiencing the same thing as you with afterburner or ROG center or asus gpu tweak I just don't have fan settings :|

Looks great KvWilliams !!

How about warranty with changing to 100hz display and are there disadvantages with it ? In game it must run alot smoother but , does the GPU have to work harder with a higher refreshrate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kvwilliams View Post
    Following up my previous post. I finally got around to drilling in to the replacement bottom I purchased for this laptop. I'm not the most crafty person, lol, so following Smeden lead, I went with the circular pattern of holes method. Seems simple enough, for even me. Using the method meddylad mentioned, i put sticky pads down on top of the fan and pressed down on the case to make it stick to the back of the case as a template:

As expected, out of all the mods (-0.150mv cpu undervolt, GPU undervolt using Onjax profile 1, using Notebook FanControl), this had the greatest impact on heat. For example, even with those previous mods, I would eventually get temp throttling in Doom (ultra/nightmare settings) but not anymore. Both the CPU and GPU do not exceed the low to mid 70s at peaks and on avg, hovers around the high 60s. This is on a cooling pad of course - CPU turbo *not* disabled. Fans don't spin up as loud either making the laptop overall quieter under load - a nice bonus. I'm happy with the result. Really, all Asus needed to do was add better venting on the bottom case and probably wouldn't even have half the complaints/poor user-reviews that it received. It blows my mind they didn't make that adjustment with the kaby-lake refresh of these laptops... but whatever, I'm sure they had their reasons.

On an unrelated note. I have overclocked my display's refresh rate and it's pure awesomeness. Turns out, if you look up the specs on our screens (LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF3), it's actually only 60hz but Asus overclocks it to 75hz for these laptops. Through my digging around on the interwebs, a few people have gotten it to 103hz. I found it peculiar that they got to such a specific number consistently so I went ahead and tried it. Sure enough, 103hz is my stopping point as well - anything beyond that and the screen goes black, forcing me to reboot my laptop:

Name:	20170524_194750.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	548.0 KB 
ID:	64951

So I just backed it off a little and now just leave it at a nice even 100hz. If you want to do it too, just follow this guy's steps. It's rediculously easy (ignore the part at 3:11... it's grayed out for us but wasn't necessary. The change in Nvidia's control panel was all that was needed): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni82DDlmysk

Now with the overheating issues behind me and with a beautiful 100hz g-sync'd IPS display. I'm very much enjoying this gaming laptop.
    Last edited by TimS85; 05-28-2017 at 08:44 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by TimS85 View Post
    Looks great KvWilliams !!

How about warranty with changing to 100hz display and are there disadvantages with it ? In game it must run alot smoother but , does the GPU have to work harder with a higher refreshrate ?
    Your GPU must certainly work harder if your new framerate cap is now 100hz vs 75hz. And you should cap your framerate to 5fps below your display's max refresh rate to take full advantage of g-sync. Never use V-sync or Fast-sync. This guy's videos goes in to detail why if anyone's interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADYzuMe17q8

Warranty wise, I'm sure Asus will immediately tell you, you void your warranty if you overclock your display. In fact, you have to agree to a 'at your own risk' style disclaimer from Nvidia Control Panel when you access the 'custom resolution' profile creator. But if you search around on the net, you'll find people who have ran their displays OC'd for years without issue. But just like overclocking your CPU/GPU, there's no real way a manufacture would know you OC'd it if you made a warranty claim. Also, laptop screen replacements aren't usually that expensive. Here's an example of our exact same screen on amazon for $66: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N31C6V8..._1kikzbS90W20T

I guess that risk assessment will have to be personal one. It does indeed make first person shooters feel smoother over 75hz, but its subtle. In fact, I only notice it when I go *back* to 75hz after a long session of gaming at 100hz.
    Last edited by Kvwilliams; 05-28-2017 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gozero View Post
    Have you found a solution for this? I'am experiencing the same thing as you with afterburner or ROG center or asus gpu tweak I just don't have fan settings :|
    When copying the downloaded .cfg file, make sure to delete the old one.

Page 35 of 111 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 ... LastLast