Page 63 of 111 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Gatoxico View Post
    Hello, first of all, excuse my bad English, it is not my native language.
    Bored of the high temperatures, change the thermal paste of my gl702vm (i7 6700hq version and 305 bios), use thermal pad artic for the memories and others:

ARCTIC Thermal Pad (50 x 50 x 0.5 mm) - Silicon Based Thermal Pad with 6.0W / mK Thermal Conductivity

ARCTIC Thermal Pad (145 x 145 x 1.0 mm) - Silicon Based Thermal Pad with 6.0W / mK Thermal Conductivity

For the cpu and gpu use artic mx4.

(I followed the same procedure of this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7glBCZr8ntI
    but do not use liquid metal because of the risk.
    pd: if you perform the video procedure, please disconnect the battery from the motherboard first, see the top of the first image).

Added to the Onjax tutorial:
    Cpu: uv -0.135
    GPU: profile 3
    is 100% stable, with uv -0.140 or profile 1 or 2, playing pubg the system restarts or collapses.

Additionally I drilled the base of the laptop, just under the fans and remove dirt filters.

Playing at 2600mhz processor (i7 6700hq) reached only a max of 73°C (70 average) in cpu and 72°C in GPU (70 average) playing PUBG, dota2 got a max of 65 ° C (62 average), with 23C degree ambient temperature.
    The laptop is now much more quiet, with little work the fans even stop turning (netflix, vlc, office, etc)

The original thermal paste of cpu and gpu is very poor quality.

I hope this helps someone the same way that others helped me to solve the temperature problem, thanks to onjax and all the rest of you.

Greetings from Chile.
    Hey that's great results! I want to do the exact same thing.

Question for you,

how did you know to order the .5mm and 1.0mm thermal pads? They also sell 1.5mm thickness, would those work better for the GDDR modules?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by pppttl View Post
    Thanks for your detailed post. Nice results. Did the screws of the heatsink have warranty stickers on them?
    stickers? not that I remember, but apparently had that blue paint on the tip of the screws; the guarantee was not important for me since I first made the holes sorry
    Last edited by Gatoxico; 09-27-2017 at 01:26 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by FastM View Post
    Hey that's great results! I want to do the exact same thing.

Question for you,

how did you know to order the .5mm and 1.0mm thermal pads? They also sell 1.5mm thickness, would those work better for the GDDR modules?
    followed the guide of the video of youtube (the link is in my original answer), and in reality the 1.5 would leave much space between the heatsink and the gpu/cpu.

the ones of 0.5 of use in the bottom only, 1mm would be much space for them.

I leave you an image, in red those that use 1mm and in green those of 0.5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pads2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	493.5 KB 
ID:	67710
    Last edited by Gatoxico; 09-27-2017 at 12:55 AM.

New ROGer Array

Hello i recently got a GL502VS and it's really sad that a laptop with this price and this gpu can't handle witcher 3, ofc i can undervolt cpu, gpu, "drill holes" under laptop ( wich i actually cant without void the warranty ), buy a pad cooler in order to play this game but i think that the point we are forgeting here is... do we actually need to do all this work when we pay this price for a laptop??

And it's not even the performance i'm talking about, i cant run witcher 3 with ultra setting at 1080p for 15min, and my laptop goes off due the heat!! it makes me think why i would even pay for this gpu if i cant even use it... rather save some money and get a half price cheaper laptop and run games with some less fps than this.

I hope someone from Asus read can notice this post with more than 50 pages because is really a turn off for costumers.

I want to thanks to people here for still want to help others with this and actually give some nice and "cool" ( pum was intended ) ideas

Regardeless my previous opinion, running gpu at 800mv flat at 1645mhz helped a litle and temps dont go over 78ºc. CPU on 85ºc with -150mv. Still seeing others laptops hiting more than 1900mhz on gtx1070 and i have to settle with this makes me sad af =(

Anyway cheers to all o/

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by PedroSequeira View Post
    Hello i recently got a GL502VS and it's really sad that a laptop with this price and this gpu can't handle witcher 3, ofc i can undervolt cpu, gpu, "drill holes" under laptop ( wich i actually cant without void the warranty ), buy a pad cooler in order to play this game but i think that the point we are forgeting here is... do we actually need to do all this work when we pay this price for a laptop??

And it's not even the performance i'm talking about, i cant run witcher 3 with ultra setting at 1080p for 15min, and my laptop goes off due the heat!! it makes me think why i would even pay for this gpu if i cant even use it... rather save some money and get a half price cheaper laptop and run games with some less fps than this.

I hope someone from Asus read can notice this post with more than 50 pages because is really a turn off for costumers.

I want to thanks to people here for still want to help others with this and actually give some nice and "cool" ( pum was intended ) ideas

Regardeless my previous opinion, running gpu at 800mv flat at 1645mhz helped a litle and temps dont go over 78ºc. CPU on 85ºc with -150mv. Still seeing others laptops hiting more than 1900mhz on gtx1070 and i have to settle with this makes me sad af =(

Anyway cheers to all o/

Essa é a minha opinião também Pedro. Não faz sentido e não percebo porque não é feito um forcing para que eles façam algo como pedir a todos os consumidores para levar o portatil para manutenção.
    O update da BIOS foi um passo, mas podiam fazer de fábrica todos estes procedimentos q se foram desenvolvendo aqui. Furar a base, fazer um undervolt por defeito e voltar a por massa térmica de qualidade.

New ROGer Array

Glad that u agree with me Kompensan :P

Also i would like to know if anyone can just clarify me, the OP actually got a stable system on his gpu on 850mv at 1860mhz and he have a gtx 1060... I have a gtx 1070 and like i said previusly the better heat/performance i could achieve was with 800mv at 1646mhz. My question is, and i know its not only the clock speed that matters but... is his gpu actually performing better than mine?

I got mine on 2nd hand so i'm not actually so much concern cuz mine was cheaper than original price... still with all this heating problems i'm actually thinking o nre-selling it and maybe buy a new out of the box one but with a gtx 1060... and well sorry but probably from another brand =S i dont know just asking ur opinions. I doing a lot of effort on research and tbh doesnt really seems there are actually any laptop without this issues sadly.

Anyway thanks all o/

Glad that u agree with me Kompensan :P

Also i would like to know if anyone can just clarify me, the OP actually got a stable system on his gpu on 850mv at 1860mhz and he have a gtx 1060... I have a gtx 1070 and like i said previusly the better heat/performance i could achieve was with 800mv at 1646mhz. My question is, and i know its not only the clock speed that matters but... is his gpu actually performing better than mine?

I got mine on 2nd hand so i'm not actually so much concern cuz mine was cheaper than original price... still with all this heating problems i'm actually thinking o nre-selling it and maybe buy a new out of the box one but with a gtx 1060... and well sorry but probably from another brand =S i dont know just asking ur opinions. I doing a lot of effort on research and tbh doesnt really seems there are actually any laptop without this issues sadly.

Anyway thanks all o/
    clock for clock a 1070 is more powerful than a 1060, you would have to compare benchmark numbers but I'm betting your 1070 is still faster. Also most other brands have similar problems with heating/throttling, or they are much larger systems or they just runs the fans at insanely loud speeds (ex.Razer).

yeah its unfortunate that these system don't run perfect out of the box however with simple undervolting the problem is pretty much fixed and you'll get even better than stock performance.

I run my 1070gtx GPU at 1784mhz @ 850mV with a CPU undervolt of -110mV speedboost enabled. My GPU temps stay under 65c and CPU low 80c's with the fans boosted to 50%. I'll be doing a repaste next (partly just because I enjoy working on computers in that way but its hardly required..)

I say stick with your system as you'll gave trouble finding something similar in the same price range. I'm sure you can squeeze a little more performance out of your system with some more tweaking.

New ROGer Array

Thanks for the reply

my rog gaming center dont have the option to set fan speeds, and speedfan program didnt work for me either =S As i see in HWmonitor the top speed of my fans are at 4300rpm, maybe if they are actually a little faster system would be cooler... anyway, guess i'll stick with him, and use some undevolt mods. I already tryed juice a little more from this and managed to get near 1800 mhz at 850mv but then the gpu temps got higher and i decided it didnt worth the 2 fps increase so i reversed to 800mv, refresh monitor is of 60hz so i dont get anything more of playing games higher than 60fps anyway. My last councern is the future, i tought this laptop would be awesome to play games at max for at least 2 years more... guess i hoped too much, i usually play on desktops and i should know that there is really some good diference from laptops and desktops even with the "same" specs ^^

Ah and with stock curve my gpu is not limited by heat... its caped by power, at least is what AB and gpu-z says :P to be honest gpu heat never was the problem, cpu reachs over 100ºc tough.

In order to enjoy games i'll stop monitorizing temps and speed with afterbuner xD i'll just play and guess stop crying too i have the receipt from original owner, it still have 1 year and 2 months of warranty, if it breaks due heat i'll just send it back to Asus.

thanks for the feedback man o/

Thanks for the reply

Ah and with stock curve my gpu is not limited by heat... its caped by power, at least is what AB and gpu-z says :P to be honest gpu heat never was the problem, cpu reachs over 100ºc tough.

thanks for the feedback man o/
    I can't speak for the 1060 but in my testing I've noticed the 1070 starts to downclock once the temperature hits 63c, so If you really want the most out of your GPU you gotta keep it under that temp. I don't believe this is something GPU-Z reports properly. (I could be wrong!)

New ROGer Array

Hi, so i'll just throw my last coin to add on this thread...
    I managed to lower a lot the initial temperatures of the laptop by using some of the tips that i read here. Undervolted cpu and gpu, and i'm using notebook fan control. This last thing felt like it helped a lot... when i'm going to start a game i put the fans at 100% so it takes a lot more time to increase temperatures. Plus, using whisper mode from geforce experience, i caped my fps games at 45/50. I know what u are thinking... we should be able to play games at 60fps+ with this specs, but my display is 60Hz top and with G-sync i dont notice and diference of playing at 50fps or 60fps... but i notice a nice diference on temperatures. GPU wont be full load so it will produce less heat. Would be nice if my laptop version would come with an asus fan control, i know it could be risky for some users but make the program simple and with like 2 options... one for browsing and small stuff and other for gaming which makes fans hiting 100% faster. So resuming:

1-Undervolt cpu with xtu (-100mv or so )
    2-Undervolt gpu with Afterburner ( mine is a flat line 800mv @1646mhz )
    3-Instal notebook fan control ( make urself a profile or at least when u start an heavy game put them at 100%)
    4-Use Geforce Experience "whisper mode" or another fps cap at ur choice ( 45/50 fps decrease temperature well)

Last step isnt the best choice but it makes me very confortable with temperatures... gpu top 73ºc and cpu around 80ºc. Probably wont work for everyone but maybe sharing my experience someone will figure out what works for them.

And saying this again if someone of Asus going to read this, doing all this steps to feel confortable with a laptop with this price will make many people return them and you will lose costumers for sure... i bet it wont take much time to engineers change this at factory, at least the voltage on cpu and changing the fan control policy. Having more holes at the bottom would be nice too

Thanks all for the tips at this forum.

Page 63 of 111 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 ... LastLast