Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 107 108 109
Results 1,081 to 1,088 of 1088
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array FULLMETALJACKET7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michty_me View Post
    Hi all,

New to gaming laptops and fiddling about. Infact the first time I updated a BIOS was last month then jumped straight into RAM tuning on Ryzen 3000.

Anyway, I bought myself a GL502VSK which I really enjoy.
    Straight out the box, CPU temps would reach around mid to high 80s and same for GPU.

I decided to play about with throttlestop and MSI afterburner and after a few trial and errors it appears that with throttlestop only, CPU was hitting low-mid 80s with full GPU temps hitting around 75deg with approx 65-70% GPU usage in game.

I used Afterburner and limited my GPU voltage to 0.875V with a clock of 1820Mhz. It seems stable enough. Temps now CPU-78deg GPU 68/69Deg with a game at max settings but still only 70% max usage on GPU (CPU at 100%). I still have turbo boost enabled.

So far I've only undervolted. Next step is to look at taping the fans inside when I go in to swap HDD to SSD and fit a MP510 NVME drive.

After looking at all your rear panel mods, And noticing someones post on page 38 where someone posted a picture of the rear of an Alienware R3 laptop. I'm tempted to buy a rear case for that, Cut out the grill then transplant it to the bottom of the GL502VS. Or find a long rectangular grill to do the same.

Before wasting your time modding the back cover, run some tests without the cover on and see if there's any improvement. For me, the difference was negligible but results may vary. In my case that had the same effect as raising the back of the laptop from the table by around 10mm. I did it using a piece of hard foam tape. I also have a 502VSK. It runs at 90C peak on the CPU, 78C peak on the gpu, at an unrealistic 100% load on both. Custom curve on the GPU (~1810mhz @ 850mv), CPU at -110mv with turbo boost enabled. Fans on auto. Taped the fan gaps (made almost no difference) and it still has the stock paste. Fans on auto.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    Before wasting your time modding the back cover, run some tests without the cover on and see if there's any improvement. For me, the difference was negligible but results may vary. In my case that had the same effect as raising the back of the laptop from the table by around 10mm. I did it using a piece of hard foam tape. I also have a 502VSK. It runs at 90C peak on the CPU, 78C peak on the gpu, at an unrealistic 100% load on both. Custom curve on the GPU (~1810mhz @ 850mv), CPU at -110mv with turbo boost enabled. Fans on auto. Taped the fan gaps (made almost no difference) and it still has the stock paste. Fans on auto.
    That's not a bad idea to be honest. I'll play about with it with some gaming over the next few days and see what results I can get with it.

New ROGer Array

Ok so had a play about with raising the laptop then with the cover off.

Running normal with only CPU&GPU undervolt, CPU was hitting around 83 max, GPU mid 70s.

Raising it up at the rear dropped it by a couple of degrees 79max, GPU low 70s.

Bottom cover off and having the laptop about 1cm from the desk
    CPU hitting low 70c and GPU never went above 68deg.

I can get a new rear cover for £20 locally so may get it for the sake of having.
    The standard paste looks a bit of a mess with it hanging out the side of the heat sink. It also feel tacky like drying silicone or pvc glue. I'll respaste and fit 0.5mm and 1mm heat pads.

New ROGer Array

Replacement fans

Are we able to replace these fans with anything better? Aftermarket quieter/cooler fans??

Quote Originally Posted by BluntNStunt View Post
    Are we able to replace these fans with anything better? Aftermarket quieter/cooler fans??
    Without heavily modding the laptop, I don't think so. You could try one of those "sucker" fans but they're just as loud -if not more- than the stock fans.

Quote Originally Posted by michty_me View Post
    Ok so had a play about with raising the laptop then with the cover off.

Running normal with only CPU&GPU undervolt, CPU was hitting around 83 max, GPU mid 70s.

Raising it up at the rear dropped it by a couple of degrees 79max, GPU low 70s.

Bottom cover off and having the laptop about 1cm from the desk
    CPU hitting low 70c and GPU never went above 68deg.

I can get a new rear cover for £20 locally so may get it for the sake of having.
    The standard paste looks a bit of a mess with it hanging out the side of the heat sink. It also feel tacky like drying silicone or pvc glue. I'll respaste and fit 0.5mm and 1mm heat pads.
    The stock vrm "paste" is fine. It looks messy but works just as well as a regular thermal pad. The thing is, you have to precisely fit the thermal pads in a way that they don't interfere with the heatsink seating on the dies. The springs on it are not designed to squish thermal pads.

79 on the cpu and 68 on the gpu is excellent. I don't think you'll see much, if any, improvement by repasting it. Just drill a few holes on the back cover and keep a spare around if you can. I would just keep the stock back cover and live with it running at 80c on the cpu. If it isn't throttling, don't worry about it.

New ROGer Array

The stock vrm "paste" is fine. It looks messy but works just as well as a regular thermal pad. The thing is, you have to precisely fit the thermal pads in a way that they don't interfere with the heatsink seating on the dies. The springs on it are not designed to squish thermal pads.

79 on the cpu and 68 on the gpu is excellent. I don't think you'll see much, if any, improvement by repasting it. Just drill a few holes on the back cover and keep a spare around if you can. I would just keep the stock back cover and live with it running at 80c on the cpu. If it isn't throttling, don't worry about it.
    Well I bought some K5 pro for the vrms and repasted the CPU and GPU with thermal grizzly. Also with an undervolt of -0.125mV on the CPU and the GPU limited to 900mV at 1850mhz playing battlefield 1 yesterday so the CPU hit a maximum of 62degC and the GPU hit a maximum of 59 Deg during playing single player levels.
    That is without any holes in the case.

New ROGer Array

As Battlefield 1 is a know power hungry game. I upped everything to ultra settings and removed all frame caps etc for the ultimate test.

On a 64 player conquest temps stabilised at around 85deg on the CPU and 75deg on the GPU.
    On ultra settings with FPS locked at 60 fps, the CPU was around 68deg and GPU at 59deg although this was the single player story.

Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 107 108 109