Page 14 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by onjax View Post
    Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
    - the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
    Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility
    • Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
    • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above
    • On main window click FIVR button
    • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
    • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU
    1. Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
    2. In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
    3. Close MSI Afterburner
    4. Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
    5. Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
    6. Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
    7. You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
    8. Click apply to test this curve
    9. If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
    Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
    1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
    reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
    2. Restart the computer.
    3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
    That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.

Hi Onjax,

Thanks for this thread, it helped me very well!
    First of all, normally i didn't care about my CPU & GPU temps, but when i looked at these temps (with MSI afterburn) i mentioned that my GPU was at a temp around 86 degrees and my CPU at 90 - 92 degrees!!!

So i went to the internet and i found this thread. First of all i undervolting my GPU with your profiles for MSI Afterburn (profile 3), then i undervolt my CPU with Throttle Stop, i did -115 mV. Then i checked my temps, GPU = 75 - 77 degrees, CPU = 77 - 79 degrees!! So thank you Onjax, it worked for me!

FPS on For Honor = +/- 55 - 60 FPS on High settings!!

THANKS ONJAX!!

New ROGer Array

Working?

Is this method still working much less safe? I recently got the GL702VM and I am getting drops from say 140 to 30 no matter the settings. I really want to fix this. I payed 1400 for this dang laptop :c
    Last edited by KingSlayer05; 02-25-2017 at 05:58 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

calle engelplatz

Onjax did more than just undervolt.

1. Remove Back Cover minus 15-20 C
    2. Remove Anti-dust tape minus 5 C
    3. Under voltage 100-150 mV

I guess doing each one will break warranty. Anyone from Asus here would like to shed light if this is ok to do? Or are we expecting to fry GPU and go for complete replacement.

Good thing WASD is on top of CPU side, otherwise, this would be major inconvenience to gamers.

ROG Member Array

Thats the thing i thinking about.

I've following this thread for 2 months now. And i cant get temperatures as Onjax.

I've taken onjax Afterburner profile and im using number 1 daily.
    I also use XTU turned off Boost and undervolted to -125 mV.

I tried a friends laptopcooler which did nothing in the long run. At first i saw a 2 degree drop but with 2H gaming i was still bashing at 91C.

I'm prepared to remove Dust tape but i would like to know exactly where it is.
    Would like someone to put up a picture and highlight it so i can be sure. (Then it's -5c which will take me to 86C in theory.)

I'm still waiting for the next big thing to happen. Some magic thing we can turn off or do to drop at least 10c.

ROG Member Array

I feel like a noob, and I'm a bit confused

Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility
    Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
    Apply changes.

I don't see any of these settings, I see a core voltage offset, but only has V, no mV, and the only thing I see that says adaptive is grayed out.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

The default setting is adaptive so don't worry about that. Core Voltage offset is the one you set. 0.100 is equal to 100 mV.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by U2Desire View Post
    The default setting is adaptive so don't worry about that. Core Voltage offset is the one you set. 0.100 is equal to 100 mV.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me, I kind of suspected that, but wanted to make sure before messing with voltages.

That being said this dropped my cpu temps about 5-7 degrees and gpu about 10 degrees, still not optimal, but I don't worry as much anymore.

ROG Member Array

I did everything on this forum except removing dust tape but i dont want to because that means my laptop will get dusty quickly. I undervolted several times my gpu and literally did no change i tried every profile even made my own currently my laptop always sits around 63c just from normal stuff like watching videos and listening to music and when i play for 1 hours it reaches 86c. Ive just tried to play less intense gaming sessions and tried to live with it, but it will always be in the back of my mind and worry.

ROG Member Array

I can't believe it, i have finally done it!
    The secret recepie for me was:

- Onjax's afterburner profile 1 tweaked a tiny bit.
    - Intel extreme tuning util core voltage offset by 150mv, turbo boost max 40W, short power max 45W, Core ICC max 65W
    - and the new ingredient is notebook fanControl 1.5, GL702VM config file, all fans to 100% before starting to play straining games.
    https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases/tag/1.5.0
    https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/b...%20GL702VM.xml

(Copy & paste the xml text into notepad and save in program files NBFC config folder as 702vm.xml)

This last bit had to be done cause it is the GPU that heats everything else up due to the common heatsink and the other 2 fans don't spin on max as they are not at the 100% threshold at that point.

So it isn't just bad physical thermal design on ASUS' part but bad thermal policy too.

But whoever didn't succeed after trying everything else in this thread now can have new hope!

Still very angry at ASUS that they didn't care enough to do anything about this before putting this notebook on the market and they are unwilling to do anything about it even now.
    However all this laptop would really need is a redesigned bottom cover (a few dollar piece of plastic) with wider air intakes. Like the new AW R15 and 17 with the rear third of the bottom, all the way from left to right being a mesh for extra airflow.

Edit: This forum is magic !!! I am now in talks with someone that might be able to help all of us.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos kombustor fps w NBFC.jpg  

with NBFC.jpg  

Last edited by Zandor84; 03-08-2017 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Things changed

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zandor84 View Post
    I can't believe it, i have finally done it!
    The secret recepie for me was:

- Onjax's afterburner profile 1 tweaked a tiny bit.
    - Intel extreme tuning util core voltage offset by 150mv, turbo boost max 40W, short power max 45W, Core ICC max 65W
    - and the new ingredient is notebook fanControl 1.5, GL702VM config file, all fans to 100% before starting to play straining games.
    https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/releases/tag/1.5.0
    https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc/b...%20GL702VM.xml

(Copy & paste the xml text into notepad and save in program files NBFC config folder as 702vm.xml)

This last bit had to be done cause it is the GPU that heats everything else up due to the common heatsink and the other 2 fans don't spin on max as they are not at the 100% threshold at that point.

So it isn't just bad physical thermal design on ASUS' part but bad thermal policy too.

But whoever didn't succeed after trying everything else in this thread now can have new hope!

Still very angry at ASUS that they didn't care enough to do anything about this before putting this notebook on the market and they are unwilling to do anything about it even now.
    However all this laptop would really need is a redesigned bottom cover (a few dollar piece of plastic) with wider air intakes. Like the new AW R15 and 17 with the rear third of the bottom, all the way from left to right being a mesh for extra airflow.
    Thaks! another change in notebook fan control?, fan control service status on read-only or enabled? all fun and GUP and GPU controlls on auto? When we start a game, we have to start msi burner, intel extreme tuning utility and notebook fan control? sorry, my English is bad.

Edit: sorry, I read now that whe´ve to fix fan controlls on 100%, manually always?
    Last edited by willygermo; 03-07-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Page 14 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast